S2 9.2 owners - What's in your engine bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
I've nursed 2 seasons out of the little Yanmar YSM12, and it looks it's time to repower. I'm thinking an 18 to 20 hp diesel would power the boat well, since 12hp just wasn't enough in head-sea and head-wind conditions. A Yanmar 3GM would seem like a nice upgrade.

I'd like to know what other 9.2 owners are using, and how it all fits into the engine bay. Does it fit within the stock space, or did you have to modify the interior or engine cover, etc.?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i had a 2qm15 original...i am putting a 2gm20f ...not sure about the hp gain ...the 2qm15 was rated at 14 hp and the 2gm20 is rated at 18 hp ...the new engine is lighter and fresh water/closed system and a bit smaller in size hopeing it works out ok for me....Gary Linger repowered with Bata marine you nay want to ask him how that went...i havent heard any complaints from him on his upgrade.....

regards

woody

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I've got the Yanmar 2GM20F. It does a decent job, is very frugal on fuel, and is reasonably accessible. More power would always be nice, though!

John

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
As Woody said in his post, I re-powered from my Yanmar 2QM15 to a Beta-Marine 16 and love it. It is slightly shorter, weighs a little less with slightly more H.P. and the footprint fits the width of the stringers. It is freshwater cooled, has a built in oil changer pump, the impeller is very accessible as are the filters. I would highly recommend at least looking into the Beta as a replacement.

Mar 14, 2007
S2 9.2A Seattle, WA
I removed a YSE12 and installed a used (about 1800 hrs) Yanmar 3GMD 20 hp. I had to raise the beds about 1 3/4" and extend the engine cover about 5 1/2". The increase in power was worth the effort. I got this engine for $500 and had been considering a Beta for about $6000. Easy decision, the engine should last as long as the boat.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Considerations.

I suggest reading the discussions we had when Gary had this issue. A 9.2A will be WAY easier than Gary's 9.2C. Thankfully Gary's son lifts weights! They had to manhandle the engines down the passageway and slide them in sideways.

The 9.2A will be much easier. However, personally, although I love my 2QM15 it is probably closer to 10-12 hp after thirty years than its original 14 and it will still push the boat to over 5 knots. A little more hp would be nice, but I don't know if I would go for another cylinder unless I got the motor cheap.

As in Gary's case, the 2cyl Beta is 16hp and there is an 18hp 2cyl Westerbeke available. Both will be easier to install yourself than a 3 cylinder due to weight (I'd anticipate using the boom for a crane) and length (extending the engine cover). The savings in doing it yourself is considerable vs. paying someone.

In either case, I strongly suggest you take a hard look at your engine beds as mine needed attention and there is no time like when the engine is out to take care of things.

Also, if it helps, visit me in Boston and you can see my 2QM15 in action if you wish. I took a poll when buying my boat...$15K for a 1cyl or $20K for a 2 cyl...same 9.2A otherwise equivalent and everyone said go with the 2 cyl. Much less vibration. Same can be said of a 3 cylinder vs. a 2 cylinder no doubt. The trade off is likely fuel economy there. Diesels should be run at 80% of wide open throttle so they don't coke up. Therefore you are quite likely to burn more fuel with a 3 cyl than the quart per hour I average.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
I went to the Newport Boat Show this weekend and talked to as many engine people as I had time for. Mostly boatyards that do refits, although there were a couple there that strictly sold motors. I saw Beta, Yanmar, Unviersal and Volvo. No one was interested in talking about used motors, although
I would imagine anyone doing a refit would know if anything good might be being replaced in a power upgrade. I need to keep talking to the local yards and putting the word out about what I'm looking for. If I can't find anything used, then I'll have to spring for the new stuff. Hoping there's something out there though.

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
Wow, thanx! I've been on CL looking lately but not every day.

The 2GM is right in the same town as my boat, and pretty much in my price-range, even if it needs some work (which I have all winter to do). 15hp is not much of an upgrade in power but I doubt my tired little YSM12 is making even 10hp at this point.

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
I checked out the 2GM. The guy thought it was a 15hp but tag on it says its rated for "10hp continuous". It's original to the boat he took it from - 1984 - so there's no real update to mine. He cruised the boat across the bay under power to get it to the marina where it was pulled, so we can assume it still runs ok. He replaced a head gasket and maybe an injector by the looks. But the real unknown is the "leaks a bit of oil" thing. I'm sure it could be remedied, but I'm not gaining much in newness or power over my YSM 12. I could probably put the $1500 into my present engine with alot less work.

I'm thinking of holding off for something much better. If push comes to shove I'll just have the YSM rebuilt and live with it a few more years.

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
A little update to my re-powering saga:

Due to the holidays, I just recently resumed the hunt for a newer, bigger motor for Trinity Heart. Perusing through Craigslist, I found the usual 2GMF's and 20F's, all with questionable hours and around the $1500-2500 price range.

But I think I found "the one" yesterday. It's a Westerbeke 20B TWO (18hp) that had been taken out of a wooden 8 Meter. It has very low hours - allegedly only used to motor from the harbor to the starting line and back. And it was on an inland lake so it has never seen salt water.

I made a deal with the owner for a little more than my price range, but if the claims about the low hours and fresh water use are true, I think we have a very nice little diesel to work with.
Anyone else on this board running a Westerbeke in a 9.2? If so, maybe I could pick your brains for exhaust and prop sizes, etc....

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
You know I was in your position & still am. I used to have a YSM8 on my 8.5 meter - only 1 cyl. & only rated for 8 HP continuous. Yet that lil engine when it was running right could push that boat to nearly 6 knots with a clean bottom. It was also a heck of a fuel mizer. I have a C 30 now with the tiny Universal 5411 rated at 11 HP. Although way underpowered by todays standards it is very reliable & economical. Remember after all, it is supposed to power a SAIL boat. Everybody seems to want to shove a giant engine into their ol' boats. Remember its always cheaper & less hassle to rebuild the engine that U already have thatr's already shoe horned in there. A rebuild will cost U 1/3 of a repower, & is a lot less hassle. I would never buy a used diesel without seeing it running in a boat & under power. When its under load is when an ol' engine wil start to blow smoke. Think about keeping what you have. S 2 tried to keep the weight down by using the small block Yanmars. They're still tougher then any other diesel out there!

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
Horses for courses I guess, but we have some pretty tight spots we have to navigate under power in order to get around from where we are on Narragansett Bay. With our little YSM12 (10hp continuous) we can find ourselves doing 2kts against unfavorable winds and tidal currents here.
In addition, the horizontal single cylinder shakes the boat side-to-side and gets the rigging vibrating like a loosely strung bass fiddle. Very uncomfortable.

Besides, the old, underpowered YSM12 is the main reason we bought the boat so cheap, and a newer, bigger motor is the one upgrade that will practically double our investment.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
18hp

If I repower I like the WB 18 for Max HP without the need to redesign my engine cover. I don't know for certain if a 3cyl would require it, but I know that atomic 4 powered. 9.2a boats have a much longer engine cover. Plus one of the big costs is labor. I would prefer to do it myself and the two cylinder engine is lighter and will be easier to deal with.

Sep 16, 2010
S2 9.2a Bellingham, WA
Re: 18hp

I put a Beta 25 in my 9.2A last summer. No modification required for the engine cover. Needed to build up the engine stringers a couple of inches but the spacing between stringers was fine. Only other structural mod. was we needed to enlarge the exhaust opening in the hull up to 2inches. Replaced the original YSB12. New engine was actually lighter than the Yanmar. Yard forklift lowered it onto the salon floor and two regular sized guys muscled it into place without problems. There is nothing quite like the quiet smoothness of that 3 cyl. block after years of that YSB!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

That is great to know. Can we get some photos? What did it cost? Did the yard do it all or just help with the hoisting? I figured I could just use my boom for a hoist.

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
I'm getting psyched about our little re-powering project! I was thinking that I could set a couple 2 X 4's against a ladder leaned on the side of the boat, and get the partially dismantled old motor out using the boom and a chain-falls (borrowed from work). I could crib the cockpit with 2 X's to slide the motor over to the side and then winch it down the ladder, using the 2 X 4's attached to it as ways.
I was thinking I could get the new motor up into the boat the same way, but my boss - who has done a few inboard installs in his day - suggested I could mock up the layout of the new motor - mounts, output shaft, height, etc. using 2 X 4's and angle iron to pre-line everything up, possibly installing the transmission ahead of time. Then in the Spring I could get the yard to lower the motor into the bay with their boom. If I did my homework right, it would be just a matter of bolting things up and doing the finish wiring and plumbing.

But first things first - got to go to Maine to pick up the new motor.

Sep 16, 2010
S2 9.2a Bellingham, WA

Posted 9 pics of the engine transplant in the photo album linked to my profile http://forums.s2.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=2300
Engine was close to $9k with 70 amp alternator upgrade, heater expansion tank, hi-rise exhaust, and upgraded panel. I got the old engine out, cleaned and painted the space, put in new bilge plumbing and hot water heater, then had engine installers do stringer buildup, install and plumbing. A fiberglass shop custom made the muffler (about $250). Total install labor and materials (new fuel filter, throttle cables also) was around $5.5k, I think around 40hr of labor including prop install. Haulout was about $500, KiwiProp about $1500. Overall, the expense would make no sense to a non boat owner. I probably exceeded half the value of the boat. I'll get an extra few thousand out of it if I ever sell but now am committed to keeping the boat for a number of years so will amortize the investment having removed the temptation to buy bigger or newer for now... I love this boat again!

Status
Not open for further replies.