S2 9.2 head door sticking - compression post issue?

Discussion in 'S2' started by Johninerie, Apr 25, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Johninerie

Johninerie

Joined Apr 18, 2019
    3 posts, 0 likes
    S2 9.2A
    None US Erie PA
    I am looking at buying a 1983 S2 9.2A and I noticed the head door was sticking slightly in frame Is there an easy way to see if the support under compression is rotting. There are not outward signs of water infiltration on the post or sole local to post. I did see some stress cracks in mast step area and a crack in the corner adjacent to the anti skid that looks like a corner of an embedded plate in deck. I have attached a photo of this. Area seems solid. I’ll bring to back to look at boat again. Interior seems to be in very good shape with no obvious water damage on sole and woodwork. Is there a way to inspect the post support short of cutting an access hole in sole? Would the rot be visible from the transducer area? Any help would be appreciated.

Also an help on inspecting the bulkheads near chainplates. I don't see any water marking or darking on the material around the chain plates - what the best way to see if there is underlying rot?

John

2. RitSim

RitSim

Joined Jan 29, 2018
    20 posts, 4 likes
    Beneteau 411
    Irish Ayes II US Branford
    I am not totally familiar with this interior, but had a Catalina 30 with this issue. On that boat the mast compression post was just aft of the head door and the compression post support was forward of the bilge behind a layer of fiberglass. My surveyor drilled a small hole near the top of the bilge and pulled out wet wood on the drill. I think its fair to assume that the door frame and door matchup was proper when new. So if the door frame has dropped toward the compression post, then I think you need to look further. BTW - I used the condition as a negotiating point and replaced the compression post support in a long day. Good luck

3. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,919 posts, 225 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    You are not the first to raise this issue. The 9.2 seems to be problematic in this area. The stress cracks would give me some cause for concern. Also the deck penetration that the wiring goes through is also suspect to let water into the compression post wrap. I think there is an access area next to the post that has transducers. You could pick up a cheap borescope from Harbor Freight or online and probe around with that. Further aft centerline, is there an access hatch in the sole? You can put a camera down there and photograph looking fwd under the sole. I’m basing this on my 11.0a. Just some places to start...Another thought, is the boat on the hard or floating?

4. Johninerie

Johninerie

Joined Apr 18, 2019
    3 posts, 0 likes
    S2 9.2A
    None US Erie PA
    It’s on the hard currently. Is this something that would be fixable if it was floating? Having boat stay on the hard will not be easy if I buy at as the marina I would use does not have storage during the season as they use parking lots for winter storage that have to cleared of boats shortly. Willing to repair myself but not exactly sure if this is a difficult or straightforward - especially if the deck is involved.

5. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    447 posts, 160 likes
    S2 26 Mid
    US On Trailer
    One way to check around the mast area is with a short straight edge (machinist ruler) . The plate will bow if you get much rot under the mast. Hairline cracks like those in the picture can occur after years of the jib (headstay) rocking the mast forward in a blow. If the problem is only under the mast it's not a hard repair if you can get the mast down.

You can "sort of" check for rot at the chainplates by pulling a bolt. If the hole has elongated in the wood/FRP there may be a problem. If the bolts could be tightened a full turn of the nut there may be a problem.

6. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,919 posts, 225 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    Is the door and frame scuffed up? Indicating this has been going on for some time. If no scuffing, its quite possible it will work correctly in the water. Sometimes on the hard, can distort things a bit...

LeeandRick likes this.
  7. Johninerie

Johninerie

Joined Apr 18, 2019
    3 posts, 0 likes
    S2 9.2A
    None US Erie PA
    Thanks for all the feedback

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!