S2 8.0c rudder rebuild

Tedder

Apr 14, 2017
S2 8.0c Titusville fl
I'm currently undergoing a complete rebuild of this boat. I am committed to my rebuild and have gone a long way from where I started. I have now got to the point where I need to take out the rudder. I'm confident that I can figure out how to remove it but any pointers would be nice. Additionally can anybody tell me how this rudders stuffing box is structured ie: The type of bearings, any additional bushings, and where I might find replacements. Thanks to everybody in new here and hope to have found a good home to share and learn.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Sorry Tedder I didn't see this (thought I was following S2) but if you haven't removed the rudder yet, let me know. I just removed mine for a rebuild last month. Mine was the shoal draft.

Tedder

Apr 14, 2017
S2 8.0c Titusville fl
Yeah I still haven't done it yet. Mine is also the shoal with a dagger inside it. Would love to here how you went about it. I gave set some wood under the rudder so I just got to get the time to get in there maybe next weekend to remove it. Or try.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Once you remove the top sleeve from the shaft and the 2X6 you will see how it comes apart much better. The only bearings are plastic sleeves. Remove the 3 screws that are vertical through the steering sector before you loosen the bolts that hold the halves together. Once you loosen the bolts the shaft will slide out. I put a jack under the rudder on the outside and had someone lower the rudder. My rudder came right out through the dry packing. I'm hoping I remember where to put all the Teflon washers when I reassemble. Here are pictures of the parts.

I wished I had the centerboard option in ours. If you have not found it yet here is a video by probably the most knowledgeable guy around when it comes to this boat.

We have a blog on our project. http://thisoldpieceofshit.blogspot.com/ We haven't been posting lately due to other household projects.

What year and engine do you have?

If you would like my email is the second name of my screen name and ssolar @ gmail (note the s in front of solar). My wife, Lee, and I are always interested in 8.0 projects.
1) rudder hanging in garage 2) steering sector resting on packing gland 3) the parts minus the vertical screws and bolts holding the 2X6

Attachments