S2 7.9 or Olson 25

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Both are great boats--very seldom do they come on the market. I'd buy the first nice one I could find.

Now you got me thinking about the one that got away...
-Z

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Both are very decent boats. One is fractional and one is masthead, if that matters to you. I think fractional boats are better for soloing because more power is in the sail you directly control (the main). Both will allow the driver to helm with an extender and straddle the traveler, a key for solo sailing. Genoa winches close by on both, another key.

The 7.9 has a more active racing association; our club as a fleet of 20 of them and hosts the nationals on occasion. Big midwest following. The 25 not as active, and probably more out west. We see 7.9s for sale all the time.

When soloing lightness helps, and the 25 weighs a ton (an actual ton) less than the 7.9, which is bigger in every way. The 7.9 has a more complex keel, the 25 a more complex rudder. Both are cored deck and hull, so you have to look hard at that. Both builders had a reputation for quality glasswork.

Here in MN I'd do the 7.9 because I like fractional boats, and we have a fleet. But the 25 would be a solid choice, no question.

Last edited: