S2 11 sail performance Vs. Islander 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2011
hunter 1980 33' cherubini fort lauderdale
I am trying to find out just how well these boats perform under sail. I am deciding if I should get an S2 11A or a Islander 36. The Islander is said to reach 8kts but what about the S2? I know the S2 is one ft wider and looks to be built well but how much performance do you give up for the extra room down below? Anyone with info or opinions an these two, I'd love to hear it.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I don't own either, but faced with the same issue I used PHRF to get a handle on the relative speed of two boats. PHRF lists the base handicap of the I36 as 144 while the base handicap of the S2 11.0 is down as 138. If you want a fast boat go for the S2 10.3, which is 120.

Note that the I36 is a proven circumnavigator with a keel stepped mast. I don't know if an 11.0 has been around yet. There is a ton of info at http://www.islander36.org

The 11.0 has a ton of space in the center cockpit version. The I37 has a pilothouse, which might be a nice option to have (steer inside with the AC on). Will you live aboard?

The I36 draws 6 feet even while the 11.0 draws 5.5 feet. Given the potential to run aground if you head to the islands or spend time in the ICW I don't know if I would want an integral keel. If you ground the 11.0 (racing S2's like the 10.3 are bolt on) you should haul it to make sure you didn't penetrate the keel walls which will waterlog the keel (lead shot/scrap in the molded in keel secured with resin). I'd go for a shoal keel on either were I you. Note that the I36 keels seem a mix of iron and lead. Go for lead if possible.

Up here, I'd love either boat, but find the S2 more attractive (not surprisingly).

Jan 3, 2011
hunter 1980 33' cherubini fort lauderdale
Thanks for the PHRF info, I am surprised that the S2 should sail faster as it is nearly a foot wider. The S2 is a later design than the Islander, could it be that they were built under different racing rules? I am unfamiliar with what these changes imply in hull shape and performance or when they went into effect. I am guesing the S2 is faster because of the larger sail area. I live in the south FL area so I do indeed want a shool draft and these two boats are the same 4'8". I will mostly be sailing weekends and trips to Bahamas/Keys doing overnighters.
How bad of a situation can it be if the encapsulated keel has been damaged ether now or sometime in the past?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Up north it can be a nightmare due to freezing. The whole ballast area (usually the front 75% of the keel with a sump in the aft 25%) can become water-logged. If that freezes (not a problem you will have) it can severely damage the keel. In your case, it could sink the boat if it communicates with the bilge. Best practice is always to examine the keel carefully after any grounding. As long as you can dive on it (no problem in warm weather) and haul or fix it with underwater epoxy (best idea I heard is to create bandage by spreading epoxy on plastic wrap or a plastic bag to ease handling) you should be okay.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
I think an integral keel is better than a bolt on type. Better built in my opinion. No keel bolts to worry about. Seems like it would be more expensive to produce an integral keel also.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Speed potential is more sail area, waterline length, lighter vessel, rather than beam, other than the fact that when you heel over the beam will increase waterline length for certain vessels. I believe S-2 is considered to be a better built boat than the Islander, with better fiberglass work, but, as mentioned, the Islander 36 is a very well respected vessel with lots of experience on the water. I have just seen S-2's hold up better with time. A center cockpit boat usually does not sail as well as an aft cockpit boat because of the sail plan difference, more weight and windage. But, they can be more comfortable for cruising and most offer a great fishing platform aft where you do not have to bring fish guts into the living area of your aft cockpit. That's my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.