Rusty Mast Rivets

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I have an 88 Hunter 28.5. While sailing yesterday with a family of 3 boys (teaching them how to sail) I noticed that on the front of the mast, there is a set of rusty rivets that are spaced about every 2 feet all the way up the mast.

They do all seem to be holding well (from the outside), but I'm the kind that likes to fix a problem before it happens. I'm guessing that these rivets are holding some form of separator in place to keep the wires (radio antenna wire, mast wiring, etc.) separated from the halyards that are going up the mast.

Has anyone replaced the rivets? How long are they inside the mast? I'm guessing that they would need to be replaced one at a time with stainless steel rivets (i.e.: don't remove them all at once!)...

Or am I looking for a "non-problem" here?

Mike

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
How rusty? If they are stainless steel rivets, which the most likely are, you can just clean them up, cleaning off the rust and re-passivating them. A product like Citrisurf 2310 should do the job. You might want to help it out with a coarse Scotchbright pad.

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
jviss asks a good question and gives good advice. Clean them up and passivate if you wish. Drilling them out with hope of getting new pop rivets in the same place on the PVC tube will be more than extremely difficult bordering on the impossible not to mention that you should most likely bring the mast down. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The rivets probably hold a wire conduit in the mast. If they are aluminum, they probably have a steel shank, and that is what is rusting? It is a low-load use, so aluminum should be okay.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I've been contemplating on the rivets. I may try a wire brush (on a dremel tool?) and see what happens, at least for those that are within reach of the bottom (they do go all the way up the mast!). If I get brave, I may try drilling one out and replace it, see what happens. Not sure if I could tell what if the internal tube is aluminum or plastic. For an '88, I would guess aluminum.

Thanks Everyone,
Mike

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
An aluminum tube would most likely cause some kind of corrosion. I've looked in a few masts and they are always PVC with stainless steel pop rivets. Something else to consider. When you drill off the head of the pop rivet you then have to punch the shank in. Where does the shank go? The PVC tubes are not overly large, particularly on a 28 footer, and depending on how many wires are in the conduit you may find it difficult and wind up damaging the wiring. Even if there is room, you have a sharp edge (the drilled part), probably 1/2" long stainless pop rivet piece. Chances of making it to the bottom are slim, plus if it does, then you have a stainless piece(s) in the aluminum base; aluminum and stainless coexist best if insulated. You may have turning blocks in the bottom of the mast. Best is to leave it alone and clean like you suggest. Your only reason for wanting to change them is aesthetics. Unless this was an aftermarket job done by a dummy, the pop rivets are stainless. Put a magnet to one to see; however, remember some stainless can be slightly magnetic. Clean them up and go sailing.