Rust

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Last week while bring the h34 back from a bottom paint job. The hose from the elbow to the muffler started leaking and I replace it today.... BTW 2 more clamps coming.... now I notice the rust and other stuff is reappearing at the shaft connection. I used to take a wire brush and brush it off, however, there must be a better solution. I know I know, while I was on the hard I should have remove the whole thing... but I didn't. So suggestions on how to remove the rust and oxidation and keep it at bay would be very much appreciated. Thanks... Jon

Attachments

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Have used "Rust-Mort" then paint on old cars. Never tried it on the boat but unless someone else has a better idea I will. I have rust in the same spot.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
It is not also. If you spill a drop it will be on your hands till it wears off, on your pants till you discard them, and in the bilge untill you grind it off.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thank you all.... I'm going with the Boeshield to protect and am considering either the Naval Jelly or Phosphoric Acid to remove.... UncleDom's suggestion seems to require more skill.
Any thoughts or experiences with Phosphoric acid?

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!! -Jon

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
If you can avoid any acid at any time, that would be the route to take.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
You could also try Extend. You can get it in a spray can. It converts the rust to a higher order oxide that is black in color. It forms a protective passive layer that way. Being so close to the packing will continue to expose it to seawater so re-application will be necessary.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Any thoughts or experiences with Phosphoric acid?
It is a fairly weak acid. It just likes Fe2O3 [rust]. Acids should always be used with care.

Acids react with metals, but no big thing if you remember this using rubber gloves....
1) Test a small spot first to see if it does clean.
2) Don't let the exposure time to metals or their oxides like rust, go longer than needed.
3) On sensitive stuff [not obliviously any in your picture], have handy a spray bottle of a Acid Neutralizer.

I use a simple hand sprayer that has Baking Soda and water mixture. Spray the area for immediate stopping of the Acid.

USNavy uses "Naval" Jelly all the time on steel.
1) clean lose rust off down to just the surface rust.
2) Spray [Whink] or Paint [Naval Jelly] on rusty area. Wait!
3) Water wash to neutralize.
4) Immediately prime the now exposed Steel or rust "bloom" will start.
5) Dry and finish paint.

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You could also try Extend
:plus::plus:

Then you have to spray on Extend, after masking overspray.
Wait until you see BLACK [Fe3O4] and dry. Now it is neutralized, primed and ready to paint if you wish.

Not so good on the fiberglass hull though.:(

BTW you can clean that Coupler with Naval Jelly, wash it with water, dry a bit , and use Extend. You won't see BLACK but it does the priming.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
POR-15. Do NOT get it on anything you don’t want painted. It must wear off.
POR-15 is used by Auto enthusiasts. Here is a POR-15 kit I bought to make my engine look "Show room".
https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45009...TF8&qid=1518130749&sr=8-3&keywords=por-15+kit

This kit has all the Stuff needed to bring "IT" [metal] to primed state. Tough, long lasting too.
Not to good on fiberglass though.:(
Jim...

PS: BTW the italic part of @uncledom post is correct English and not double negative since NOT refers to "it".:pimp:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Cool Jim.. Is that because it is High Temp or Because it is "Navy Grey"?:laugh::poke: