Running Rigging

Nov 25, 2016
C&C 30 MK1 Pasadena
I am a brand new sailor and picked up a C&C 30 MK1 (1973) project boat this year. I have the engine running and the boat floating again and am ready to start rigging the sails. The in mast lines (4 or 5 of them) are there, but no topping lift, outhaul, reef lines, main sheet, etc. Is there a place that I can find a description or illustration on what I should have and how they are run on this particular boat?
Thanks,
Steve

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
Hi Steve,

I have the same boat I acquired last October. First, I love the boat (Nine Dragons). It sails well in light or heavier air and is stable and fast. The helm is very responsive.

I have already replaced nearly all of my running rigging. Since I am at work, I cannot send details at the moment but I will share everything I have learned since working with her.

My first project was replacing halyards. The original halyards are wire spliced to New England braid on braid. I read an article about replacing them with braid on braid or Dynema entirely and eliminating the wire. That's is what I have done and am very satisfied. I was surprised at the condition of the halyards inside of the mast. While the write was okay, the soft line spliced to it was in very bad shape. I was surprised they had not parted already when I replaced them.

Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS) has a chart that recommends 5/16 for all halyards. I replaced using 3/8 on all halyards incliuding the Spin Pole topping lift and spin pole track tow on the mast.

APS also recommended 3/8 for all sheets (main, genoa, and spinnaker). Nine Dragons originally had 5/8 for all sheets. I have replaced with 3/8 and am fully satisfied. I have also replaced the traveller and moved it forward about three feet to the bench near the companion way. The new traveller is a Lewmar # 1 and spans the width of the cockpit. I checked on differences in sheet loading from where it was mounted further out on the boom. The old location imposed a 750 pound load at the main sheet bottom shackle. The new location has a sheet loading at the bottom shackle of about 1150 lbs in a 20 knot breeze. I have tried the new traveller a few times and really like it.

I currently have 1/2 inch on the boom out haul and the Cunningham but fully intend to replace them with 3/8. I am using 5/16 on the reef lines.

I have done several other replacement tasks to repair or replace some other equipment including a spinnaker halyard winch. I purchased a used winch just like what was originally installed for $49 on eBay.

I has a wire rope fail on the steering mechanism inside the binnackle. Not an enjoyable experience when out for a sail. I had to drop all sails and use the emergency tiller to get back to the dock. The replacement wire reope was available from Edson for about $160. Mine had work at the Clevis attaching it to a chain inside the binnackle and simple broke the wire.

I have collected some technical information about the boat.

I'd like to keep in touch to share experiences. I have not heard from many who have this model.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Congratulations on your new boat. Joe's recommendation (www.cncphotoalbum.com) is an excellent source for information about the "Classic" C&C's. Make sure you join the E-MAIL DISCUSSION LIST at the bottom of the HOME PAGE on that site. There are a lot of C&C 30 mkI owners there that have a wealth of information about the boat. Specifically ask for information about the mast step as it's a known problem area. You can also look up information in the Archives section.

Nov 25, 2016
C&C 30 MK1 Pasadena
MccNeo,
Wow, a wealth of information! I suspect my lines have already been replaced, as they aren't in 44 year old condition and I don't think I have any wire anywhere. Some of the things you mention, I haven't been able to figure out on this boat yet. For example, I've watched a dozen or more YouTube videos on out hauls, but can't find any blocks/pulleys on the end of the boom to set one up. Same with trying to figure out the reefing, I have blocks, a winch, and a cleat on the side of the boom that I assume are for the reefing, but can't find any details on how to run it. It's all part of learning, so I am looking wherever I can.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2016
C&C 30 MK1 Pasadena
Joe/Ted,
The first two forums that I found (and joined) were the Moyer Marine site for the Atomic 4 engine and the cncphotoalbum website. The boat had no interior, so I've already received pictures of the settee to help in rebuilding that. I met several new friends at the marina this weekend and they told me about this site.
Steve