Running Rigging Replacement

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Hello All,

New owner of a 1989 Catalina 30. The maintenance log is pretty skimpy, and does not note any renewing of the standing/running rigging.

As far as the standing rigging, I relocated the boat, via road transport, to a new location. During re-comissioning, the boatyard mentioned that I was getting "close" on replacing the standing rigging. It is obvious, even to me, that the present condition of the running rigging is one of the precarious position of having one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel.

It has been a couple of decades since I owned my last sailboat. In that time, I haven't kept-up with the latest and greatest in technology/advancement. So, I am reaching-out to the community for recommendations on sheet and halyard material.

Thank you in advance.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
OK, attention granted. Now the issue is the standing rigging that was brought to your attention. You are asking about running rigging. Terms are important. Standing is like it sounds: The stuff that keeps the rig standing. Theses are the Stays and Shrouds. They are commonly 1 X 19 stainless steel wires of varying thickness. On my Oday 27 I have 3/16" Fore and Back Stays and 3/16" Upper Shroud. I have 5/32" Fore and Aft Lower Shrouds. Replaced all of them despite being freshwater all its' life and no apparent issues other than wear at the attachments. Running rigging as you point out is what makes the boat go. These include halyards, sheets, topping lift, vang and a variety of other options. These are generally double braid polyester (New England Ropes Sta Set X) which is sufficient for most applications. It is more cost friendly then the more exotic Dynema ultra strong low stretch lines favored by the racing crowd. Standing rigging is critical. Running rigging important. Hope this helps answer your question.

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Yes, "terms are important". And, yes, although I mentioned BOTH standing and running rigging, as I wrote, I was reaching-out on advice/discussion on running rigging.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Now that we are on the same wavelength, Rigging Only is great for price and speed on standing rigging. Running rigging is a great DIY project and splicing double braid is fun to learn and easy when you get it down. Low stretch Sta Set X is what I am using. I don't race so an economical good performing line is fine for me. Easy on the hands as I don't wear gloves and long lasting. Still using halyards and mainsheet that came with the boat and no idea how old they are but exhibit no fraying or otherwise. SBO Store has ready to go lines for a variety of boats spliced with shackles if desired for reasonable prices.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check out Seco South for your standing rigging. Quite a bit cheaper than Rigging only. Also check out this website for your running rigging.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
O
Check out Seco South for your standing rigging. Quite a bit cheaper than Rigging only. Also check out this website for your running rigging.
For standing rigging as Steve says SECO South in largo fl fast service and good quality work and. Very good pricing

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
I second the recommendation of cb32863. Cajun ropes has a great product, they are good to deal with, and I had my last order from them delivered from Novia Scotia to my door in SoCal for less $ than WM had it in the store. I have used their rope exclusively for over 15 years and have been totally pleased.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
When on SBO forums, I always recommend SBO store, especially for running rigging. Don't bother shopping around. You are already in the right place. BTW, the work they do on your lines is excellent. I guess I may be the odd ball for not splicing & whipping my own lines. I see no reason not to have the folks in the store do it. It's economical and I don't need any more chores. I'm more than happy to have them delivered to my specifications!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Standing rigging needs inspection and/or replacement on a 10 year cycle. You have a 25 year old boat. A parted running rig is inconvenient, a parted standing rig is catastrophic.

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Boat was surveyed in December '15. Results were that the standing rigging was satisfactory. As mentioned, the boat was decommissioned, and re-commissioned. The rigger commented that I had several more good seasons on the standing rigging.

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Just ordered a "kit" (all lines) from Cajun Ropes. I like the idea of color coding.

I'll post my impressions when my order arrives.

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
It's been a while since I received my running rigging kit from Cajun Rope. I finally had time to replace my old lines:

- Main halyard
- Jib Halyard
- Main sheet
- Headsail sheet
- Boom vang
Cajun also included a new genoa sheet, and downhaul/outhaul lines. I won't be using the downhaul/outhaul lines because the mainsail tack attaches to the gooseneck, and the outhaul is internal to the boom.

I am very pleased with Cajun. The quality of the rope is nice, and the splicing/whipping is impressive.

Cajun did not skimp on the lengths of the lines, either. I ordered to have all lines least to the cockpit, and there's plenty left over.

DSCN0537.jpg

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
what does Cajun ropes forum look like...are they as helpful as SBO...just asking

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Not sure what you're asking, or if you're even asking a question...

Last edited: