Running rigging help...(WM 40% off again) need to order...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gents,
my 84 C22 has been on the hard, working on interior stuff, hull and bottom/keel, should be good on that within 2 weeks.

Regarding running rigging, I have no clue what sizes/lengths to order, WM is running another 40% off sale today only and I want to pull the trigger. Can someone give me a short list of the basics to order? Plan on running lines aft (4 as I want to keep the handrails, and no spinnaker), given that, which 4 would you run aft?
thx in advance,
Ron

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Someone previously posted that West has these sales the last Friday of every month. Take the time to get your facts straight, as they do not take cut rope back. Things like this are why skippers should have an owners manual, or measure every line on the boat when you take them off to launder them. You DO wash them, don't you?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Gents,
my 84 C22 has been on the hard, working on interior stuff, hull and bottom/keel, should be good on that within 2 weeks.

Regarding running rigging, I have no clue what sizes/lengths to order, WM is running another 40% off sale today only and I want to pull the trigger. Can someone give me a short list of the basics to order? Plan on running lines aft (4 as I want to keep the handrails, and no spinnaker), given that, which 4 would you run aft?
thx in advance,
Ron
Ron, I have a list of lines/sizes/lengths for the C22 that I made on a spreadsheet. The lengths listed are specifically for lines led aft, longer than lines cleated off at the mast plus a few feet for fudge factor and splicing. I generated the list from an article by Stingy Sailor and I organized it by the colors available from West Marine with the regular and 40% off sale prices.
I know that I have posted the list text here somewhere, I just need to search for the thread or I can try to email you the spreadsheet. Give me a few minutes.
When I bought all my lines during the sale I spent about $240 I think. Would have been close to $500 outside of the sale.

Sep 8, 2014
Ron,
Ok, here is the thread where I posted a screen shot of the list;
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...f-rope-sale-on-4-29-only.178610/#post-1289229

That post also has links to Stingy Sailor's articles on lines led aft and info about the rope lengths/types plus changing to all line halyards. My list includes 45 feet of 1/4" line for a jib down-haul; you might not rig your boat that way but I would buy the extra line anyway, 1/4" Sta-Set is pretty cheap and has numerous utility uses if you don't use it for a down-haul.
The colors are totally up to you, I just try to group my lines/sheets in a color pattern based on function or location.

Sep 8, 2014
Ron,
To answer you other questions about which lines to run aft... Foresail (Jib) & Main Halyard for sure. Using cabin top winches helps harden these lines up. Your other two choices are up to you; commonly I see those who use a Cunningham put it led aft and also the boom vang. On a C22 you'll probably be able to reach your boom vang from the cockpit anyway, depends on your particulars. You could also put your Jiffy Reefing line on there, but again this can be rigged on the boom so you can already reach it anyway. That's the puzzle of running rigging, 100 ways to skin a cat. Be creative.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Someone previously posted that West has these sales the last Friday of every month. Take the time to get your facts straight, as they do not take cut rope back. Things like this are why skippers should have an owners manual, or measure every line on the boat when you take them off to launder them. You DO wash them, don't you?
good advice, but I want this thing up and running in two weeks....do I launder them? ...well what's on the boat is well beyond laundering!...bought the boat last year, just now getting it all put together, the exising running rigging appears to be original or at least many many years old (sure, will launder in the future though). I do have the owners manual, but not for lines led aft, IIRC....

Thx,
Ron

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Ron,
Ok, here is the thread where I posted a screen shot of the list;
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...f-rope-sale-on-4-29-only.178610/#post-1289229

That post also has links to Stingy Sailor's articles on lines led aft and info about the rope lengths/types plus changing to all line halyards. My list includes 45 feet of 1/4" line for a jib down-haul; you might not rig your boat that way but I would buy the extra line anyway, 1/4" Sta-Set is pretty cheap and has numerous utility uses if you don't use it for a down-haul.
The colors are totally up to you, I just try to group my lines/sheets in a color pattern based on function or location.
Luke, thx for all this, very helpful! I also found stingy's spreadsheet for the same, so I'll review both and order accordingly, worst case, I have too much of something, not too little!...what about splices/eyes, etc, on which lines? Recommendations? (sorry, keep in mind I'm new to most of this stuff)....

Ron

Ron

Sep 8, 2014
Ron, all of the lengths listed allow extra room to do locking eye slices for double braid. This is a skill you want to learn but not critical immediately. You can use a good knot to a shackle for the halyards. I like to do splices and then use soft shackles for attachment. There are numerous great videos on youtube for splices, knots, and making soft shackles. I particularly like the videos made by Premium Ropes, search them and subscribe. You'll want a good set of splicing fids, I like Selma Fids and I also have a "D Splicer".
Luke, thx for all this, very helpful! I also found stingy's spreadsheet for the same, so I'll review both and order accordingly, worst case, I have too much of something, not too little!...what about splices/eyes, etc, on which lines? Recommendations? (sorry, keep in mind I'm new to most of this stuff)....

Ron

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
My vote is for the halyards, boom downhaul, (which is how mine is rigged currently) with the other one as an option for either vang or reefing line.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Plan on running lines aft (4 as I want to keep the handrails, and no spinnaker), given that, which 4 would you run aft?
thx in advance,
Ron
We only run the halyards aft.

If I were running more, it would definitely be the reef line(s).

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
all great feedback/recommendations...ordered per Luke's/Stingy's spreadsheets (almost identical)....round numbers these days $550 v. $330 on WM sale, big savings for sure...not sure yet how I'll run 'em all...certainly open to all/more suggestions...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Main, jib halyards, Cunningham, vang.....
all great feedback/recommendations...ordered per Luke's/Stingy's spreadsheets (almost identical)....round numbers these days $550 v. $330 on WM sale, big savings for sure...not sure yet how I'll run 'em all...certainly open to all/more suggestions...
Just a heads up that although I'm a big fan of west marine promos and sales...... their normal cordage prices are max retail so 40% off is still going to be higher than many online chandler's normal price. For instance, you can pick up 3/8" New England Sta-set solid color for 95 cents/foot at Annapolis Performance sailing, Mauri Pro Sailing, etc.... where the normal day to day price at WM for same product is $1.59/ft.
My point is to assure you that if you don't get everything you need this time... there are always good cordage prices out there when you need them.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
what are these gizmos (apparently attached to the handrails) to guide the lines aft to the clutches?

upload_2017-4-30_10-38-44.png

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
t-cat, know what they're doing, just didn't know what to call em or find em (bullseye/deadeye)...thx for that!

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
t-cat, know what they're doing, just didn't know what to call em or find em (bullseye/deadeye)...thx for that!
I don't know the correct term, so I sent ya a link.....

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
so, thinking of going this route for 4 led aft...

seems like a logical way to keep the handrails, clutches seem the way to go v. cam cleats or clam cleats...I could cut off one rail section and add cabin top winches (per Luke's reply in another post), but from what I've read, they're unnecessary on a C22...

thoughts? recommendations? downsides to this plan, b4 I start ordering & drilling holes?

Sep 8, 2014
so, thinking of going this route for 4 led aft...

seems like a logical way to keep the handrails, clutches seem the way to go v. cam cleats or clam cleats...I could cut off one rail section and add cabin top winches (per Luke's reply in another post), but from what I've read, they're unnecessary on a C22...

thoughts? recommendations? downsides to this plan, b4 I start ordering & drilling holes?
You can def get away without them. If you add winches they exist to help get really good tension on the line before you lock the clutch, like hardening the main or jib halyard. Without winches on the cabin top you can still reach your main winches as long as you have enough line. Otherwise you need to muscle the tension. Pros to and cons to both approaches, but I think the only con to adding cabin top winches is greater cost for buying more winches and installing them. BTW, I got all new winches from Andersen in stainless. The two small ones are Andersen #10 and run about $160 ( I got them for X-mas so cost to me was $0, LOL). My self-tailers for my mains were a little more pricey but I wanted to treat myself... Anyway, I have my original ARCO #6 winches in good working order if you are interested. I will sell them cheap.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
You can def get away without them. If you add winches they exist to help get really good tension on the line before you lock the clutch, like hardening the main or jib halyard. Without winches on the cabin top you can still reach your main winches as long as you have enough line. Otherwise you need to muscle the tension. Pros to and cons to both approaches, but I think the only con to adding cabin top winches is greater cost for buying more winches and installing them. BTW, I got all new winches from Andersen in stainless. The two small ones are Andersen #10 and run about $160 ( I got them for X-mas so cost to me was $0, LOL). My self-tailers for my mains were a little more pricey but I wanted to treat myself... Anyway, I have my original ARCO #6 winches in good working order if you are interested. I will sell them cheap.
Luke, thx for the reply....chk your pm...