Running Lines to Cockpit on 80's Catalina 22, Need Placement Help!!

Markyp

Jul 22, 2018
Catalina 22 South Shore of Lake Ontario
Greetings Catalina Lovers,
I am the new owner of an early '80s Catalina 22. So I am very much a newb!!
For safety and ease of use, I would like to run the main and jib halyards back to the cockpit. As all of you already know, the area needed to run these lines is very limited. I've seen some run the halyards in between the handrail and the pop-top. This is a very narrow at best.
So you can run one line on the port side and one on the starboard....never mind finding room for a cheat, clutch, or winch! And, I do not intend on removing the handrail to make room either.
Has anyone out there decided to run the halyard line up and over the pop-top cabin.
I heard of some owners using this approach, never seen any photos of examples though.
If you have any suggestions or experience with setting one of these up, I would like very nuch to have your insight, opinions, tips, tricks, and photos!
Thanks in advance, your help is very much appreciated :)
Markyp

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You can run more than one on either side. Many people shorten the handrails by a single loop to accomplish this. Maybe that's a good compromise for you, compared to removing them altogether.

Some threads cover this in these forums and on the web.

The Catalina 22 National Sailing Assoc. Tech Manual is one of the best resources for all things C22, so if you don't already have one i'd fully recommend getting it.
https://catalina22.org/index.php/2014-11-06-22-14-25/membership-4

@$tingy Sailor, who is a member here, has a good summary of pro/cons of handrail removal, with great photos on his website:
https://stingysailor.com/2014/05/31/lines-led-aft-2/

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Welcome!...do a search here on the forum for running lines aft, there's plenty ways to skin the cat, including stingy's, you will need a clutch or cleat at least for halyards only, many have added winches, cutting off 1 or 2 rungs of handrail as LR suggests.

one way to do it below in nxt post...

Last edited: