Running large A/C units with EU2000i

Jul 10, 2016
Pearson 303 Pungo Creek, NC
In the past few weeks, we've encountered several posts that claim it's not possible to start or run a marine, water-cooled a/c unit and it's water pump with a Honda EU2000i or equivalent. This is simply Not True. Our Marine Air and Mermaid 16,500 btu units used to draw 21.5 a ps to start, and 9.5 amps to run. By installing a plastic housing with an "Easy-Start" circuit board in it, wired into the control box, either A/C unit will only draw 10.5 amps to start, a 10 amp reduction, and much easier on the compressor. The Honda or similar gen has no problem even with a 16 amp starting load, so is well with it's rated continuous output. Cost is $165 for the board, and about $12 for a housing at a big box home store electric aisle. Order from www.microair.net, ask for Roger Krinic. (I have no connectio to them, just a satisfied customer). Also, see Pinnelas Power products for their keyfob shutoff for the Honda, turn it off from your berth when the air is cool enough. Rob and Sandy

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
That is correct. I think you'll find the folks who say it can't be done base their opinion on lack of a soft-start circuit

Sep 9, 2017
Valiant 40 Coos Bay -- Currently La Paz
Essentially what this does is add a capacitor across the power leads which balances the heavy induction load of the motor.

The Honda (and other generators) are rated for resistive loads. Resistive loads have voltage and current "in phase. Inductive loads have them out of phase. Adding capacitance to the circuit brings them back into phase, making your motor load "look" like a resistive load, allowing the generator to deliver its full power.

Battery chargers are also generally inductive loads (although a few now have compensation built in), and can cause similar startup problems. Again, the solution is to add capacitance to the system, an "Easy Start" being one option.