Rule 18 Is Hard

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Just got home from Thursday night beer can racing. I was called as a witness in a protest between two boats about a leeward mark rounding. Boats were on opposite tacks coming to the leeward mark with a starboard rounding. Port tack boat was coming in fast on a broad reach preparing to gybe around the mark. Starboard tack boat was running to the mark. Around the time he got within 2 boat lengths of the mark Starbaord tack boat started hailing Starboard, and port tack boat answered that he deserved mark room. Port tack boat was forward of Starboard's transom well before that time. Starboard kept hailing then turned hard to port at the mark to avoid collision. He protested Port tack boat saying he had no right to room. Who was right?

Answer - Starboard tack boat later withdrew his protest (begrudgingly) after the protest committee heard the facts and explained the rules. Coming to a leeward mark, or any time the boats don't need to tack at the mark, mark room rules apply. The inside boat is entitled to mark room as long as she gets an overlap before the first boat gets into the zone (3 boat lengths). The fact that the boats are on opposite tacks makes no difference at all. As long as Inside is in front of a line abeam of Outside's transom there's an overlap.

After the race several members of the club (including Starboard tack boat above) thought port/starboard rules trumped everything. That's just not the case at some mark roundings. Figured I'd post the story so others may learn or reinforce their knowledge.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Would you be able to put up a little annotated sketch with this. Like you said, its really hard and as a "novice" racer at best I'm having a hard time picturing this in my head. Thanks

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Correct, P/S does not factor in leeward roundings. You can enter in port and gybe inside the zone (and claim mark room) as long as you had overlap entering.

This is NOT true at the windward mark, P/S rules there, and tack in the zone and you lose all rights. Even if clear ahead you cannot lift a boat a boat that entered on starboard into a luff.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
If you're going to race, its important that you have a good grasp of the rules. Not only does it make you faster, it makes EVERYONE SAFER. Come bombing into the leeward mark thinking you have rights on everyone is going to end up in a collision, unless both boats react well to the situation.

We hold a half-dozen rules seminars during the winter at WYC, including one dedicated to Rule 18. One of the best rules overview session is the one put on by two of our international race officials, who helped put together this super slide deck for US Sailing.

https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0150/6835/Around_the_Race_Course_1-22-18.pdf

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Would you be able to put up a little annotated sketch with this. Like you said, its really hard and as a "novice" racer at best I'm having a hard time picturing this in my head. Thanks
Absolutely.
Protest.jpg

Both boats held their course until they were at the mark. Starboard tack boat ("S") then turned left to avoid contact and protested. His problem is that P was overlapped when they got to the zone. He didn't think an overlap could exist or would matter between boats converging on opposite tacks; he was wrong.

Nov 8, 2010
Here's a Rule18 rules quiz/question: RCs try VERY HARD to avoid starboard mark roundings, but leeward ones are much less bad than windwards. Why??

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks, the sketch helps me visualize it better. And thanks Jackdaw for the pfd file. Since its probably presented in conjunction with live person the reader needs to fill in some of the "blanks" the instructor would discuss but the blanks are pretty straightforward so this is very useful.
My first (and last) race I hooked a crab pot early on and by the time I got it cleared the race was effectively over for me. I didn't get into any mark rules like giving mark room etc since I was out of the picture fairly early so I used it as an opportunity to play with my sails and have some fun. Hope to participate again later and the things I learn from you experienced racers are invaluable. Thanks

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Here's a stab at the quiz from a novice reading this thread: Because on a leeward mark, it doesn't make any difference what tack a vessel is on but rather overlap was established before entering the mark zone (3 boat lengths). Is that close?

Nov 8, 2010
Here's a stab at the quiz from a novice reading this thread: Because on a leeward mark, it doesn't make any difference what tack a vessel is on but rather overlap was established before entering the mark zone (3 boat lengths). Is that close?
You're on the right track. Think about how boats approach a windward mark, depending on the rounding.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If taking a windward mark to stbd, you will be on port tack as you approach. Starboard tacking boats coming in to the left side of the mark would wreak havoc on the port tacking boats by forcing them windward (they won't want to duck for obvious reasons). It really isn't a fair situation and just introduces chaos at the mark. The chaos could be lessened with a rule that provides "room", but why introduce more confusion and chance for conflicts with the rule? Better to have windward marks left to port. Everybody will be on the same stbd tack, leeward windward rights automatically provide room. Nobody comes barging in on port tack because they would have to duck anyway.

Leeward marks are less bad only because on downwind legs, boats are more likely to be approaching on different sides, and the "room" rule helps sort things out? :confused::confused:

Nov 8, 2010
If taking a windward mark to stbd, you will be on port tack as you approach. Starboard tacking boats coming in to the left side of the mark would wreak havoc on the port tacking boats by forcing them windward (they won't want to duck for obvious reasons). It really isn't a fair situation and just introduces chaos at the mark. The chaos could be lessened with a rule that provides "room", but why introduce more confusion and chance for conflicts with the rule? Better to have windward marks left to port. Everybody will be on the same stbd tack, leeward windward rights automatically provide room. Nobody comes barging in on port tack because they would have to duck anyway.

Leeward marks are less bad only because on downwind legs, boats are more likely to be approaching on different sides, and the "room" rule helps sort things out? :confused::confused:
Yep, that's pretty much the deal!