Registered users don't see ads

Ruddercraft Replacement Rudder

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by p369, Jul 19, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. p369

p369

Joined Jan 13, 2016
    10 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 260
    US SC Charleston
    Hello all!

I'm new(ish) to these forums. I've had my 2002 hunter 260 for about 6 years now it is time for some repairs/improvements that i've been putting off. I have a long list of things I'd like to fix/change on my boat, but to keep things simpler and organized, I'll create a new thread for each topic.

I need a new rudder and have been looking at the ruddercraft/idasailor HDPE rudder. Has anyone had experience or reviews? I typically sail inland lakes or in the harbor here in Charleston, but I'm considering the blue water version of the rudder. This would allow more control surface area and a little bit more control when the weather decides to turn for the worst. Any thoughts on this? is it really necessary?

Thanks for all your help! looking forward to learning from y'all!

2. svchickadee

svchickadee

Joined May 8, 2011
    151 posts, 14 likes
    ODay 25
    US Cambridge
    I have a rudder craft rudder on my Oday 25. The 'blue water' version was not available when I purchased my rudder in 2011. A rudder craft rudder is a quality product but it is not a 'blue water' or 'offshore' capable piece of equipment. It is a good rudder for protected waters. Use it for that purpose and you will be happy. To use any version for offshore you will need to thru bolt it with four 5/16 ss bolts thru the blades and foil so it does not kickup. This will stabilize it.

3. p369

p369

Joined Jan 13, 2016
    10 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 260
    US SC Charleston
    thanks for the info. i have no intention in going offshore in my boat...and i'm a little concerned on the stiffness of the material and the horizontal pressure on the blade. if it flexes too much it will break. I think i will probably go with the standard version of the rudder.

4. svchickadee

svchickadee

Joined May 8, 2011
    151 posts, 14 likes
    ODay 25
    US Cambridge
    There is lots of force on the side blades when sailing close hauled. They are 1/8 inch SS and are welded to the stock. The welds are the weak spot as they are subject to crevice corrosion in a salt water environment. Be sure there is a real need for a kick up v. a standard rudder. The standard rudder is much stronger.

5. p369

p369

Joined Jan 13, 2016
    10 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 260
    US SC Charleston
    I ended up ordering the 48" rudder. I have wheel steering so hopefully I'll just need to replace the blade and the installation won't be too mind blowing. I have been surprised before though, haha! Thanks for your help!

6. Madelon

Madelon

Joined Mar 25, 2007
    41 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26S
    US Davis, CA
    I snapped the standard HDPE Ruddercraft rudder sailing in the San Francisco Bay under 25 mph wind. Replaced by the "blue water" version. So far so good; the boat feels better control and weather helm is greatly reduced.

7. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,557 posts, 308 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @p369
    Be safe my friend with Irma headed your way. If you ever need any help, feel free to contact me. I am wondering whom the dealer was for your boat. one of several.

Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Replacement in-deck solar panel
Improved for greater output, this is a drop-in replacement. Trim ring available, too.
Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990