Registered users don't see ads

Rudder trouble!

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by McGhee62, Mar 31, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. McGhee62

McGhee62

Joined Mar 31, 2018
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 22
    Slowish Camel US Freshwater marina
    Newbie sailor learning on a freshwater lake in Alabama. I bought a Cat 22 because of all the good things I've heard and the price was right. My problem the rudder broke almost in two about the water line the the 4th time I took her out. My wife was onboard for the first time. Still living that down. Looking for a replacement. I tried making one but the wheels feel off quick. Can I use a rudder from a 25? (Saw one online that was reasonable). Any advice on what I can do is appreciated. The Camel is 33 years old and in great condition. I don't live in a sailing hotbed so not a lot of kindred spirits close by.

2. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    292 posts, 80 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota
    Try asking this on the c22 forum and On the Catalina 22 Facebook group. There were a couple rudders for sale there not long ago.

The rudder from a c25 will be to large and unless your ruder grudgons have been replaced they will be a different size for a c25.

There are also a number for c22 fleets in your area so I would suggest contacting them as often racers will have a parts boat or may know of a lead for a rudder. If cost is no issue and your not racing then the rudder craft rudder is a favorite of many and from what I hear is far superior to the stock rudder. Hope that helps

https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/regions-a-fleets#fleets-in-region-3

https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=181_32

McGhee62 likes this.
  3. McGhee62

McGhee62

Joined Mar 31, 2018
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 22
    Thanks, I'll start there and post how it's going. Thanks again!

4. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    579 posts, 161 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
  5. AaronD

AaronD

Joined Aug 10, 2014
    97 posts, 12 likes
    Catalina 22
    US St Helens
    +1 on the Rudder Craft rudders. We love ours.

If you decide to go with a used one, the classifieds here are a good bet, or there are often a few on eBay. Be sure you know the size and spacing of your gudgeons; you might decide this is the right time to upgrade from 3/8" to 1/2". Personally, if I were buying a used kick-up rudder, I'd want to inspect the casting pretty carefully (or at least get really good pictures). The stainless pintles pass through the aluminum casting, causing bi-metallic corrosion. My own casting was corroded pretty badly (which was why I now have the Rudder Craft).

McGhee62 likes this.
  6. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    854 posts, 126 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Newbie sailor learning on a freshwater lake in Alabama. I bought a Cat 22 because of all the good things I've heard and the price was right. My problem the rudder broke almost in two about the water line the the 4th time I took her out. My wife was onboard for the first time. Still living that down. Looking for a replacement. I tried making one but the wheels feel off quick. Can I use a rudder from a 25? (Saw one online that was reasonable). Any advice on what I can do is appreciated. The Camel is 33 years old and in great condition. I don't live in a sailing hotbed so not a lot of kindred spirits close by.

Thank goodness that I misread your post. I thought that you were looking to replace your wife. :^)))

As for replacing your rudder: https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/78/rudders.cfm

justsomeguy likes this.
  7. McGhee62

McGhee62

Joined Mar 31, 2018
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 22
    Adder reading my post I need to clarify something, I'm looking for another rudder, not a wife. Just saying!

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.