Registered users don't see ads

Rudder Shaft Bushings

Discussion in 'Parts Search' started by annabhappy, Feb 5, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. annabhappy

annabhappy

Joined Feb 5, 2018
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 31
    Le Bon Temps US San Rafael, CA
    Hi everyone, My Pearson 31' Rudder is very clunky and I believe that my ruder shaft bushings need to be replaced. I believe that there are a top and bottom bushing. I have the original blueprint of my boat, but it does not show the rudder breakdown.

I live in northern california, marin county and need help to figure this out before hauling out. The weather has been beautiful and I'd like to haul out soon!

Anna

2. Franklin

Franklin

Joined Jul 20, 2005
    2,383 posts, 101 likes
    Hunter 376
    US Kemah, Tx
    "clunky"?? Dive down and see if you can move it side to side. If there is a lot of play then it would be wise to replace them.

3. annabhappy

annabhappy

Joined Feb 5, 2018
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 31
    Hi Franklin,

Thanks for your reply. After further inspection, I decided to go ahead and make the repair. Luckily, I found the a place to order the Rudder Shaft Bushings here:
    D & R Marine
    14 Water Street
    Assonet, MA 02702

[​IMG]
    Hours of Operation
    M-F 8:30am - 5:00pm
    Open house
    Saturday 9:00 12:00 am
    Eastern Time Zone

You can reach us by Phone
    (508) 644-3001
    Or By Fax
    (508) 644-3002
    Or by Email
    sales@drmarine.com

Rudder Bushings (2pc Set). Details Used on Pearsons 28-2, 31 & 33! These bushings come prepared in a 2 pc. set, machined from Delrin - Size: 3"OD x 2.354"ID x 4"L Price: $195.00

and have scheduled a haul out next Friday. I have my fingers crossed that they will work on my boat. Anna

4. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    388 posts, 40 likes
    Precision 22 (Sold), O 240 (Sold), Precision 28
    US Somers Point
    Hello Anna, just wondering how you made out. I need to replace mine after this coming season. I was going to do it this winter but had some other repairs that where higher on the list. Did you complete the repair yourself? If so how difficult was it?

Thanks,

Mark

5. annabhappy

annabhappy

Joined Feb 5, 2018
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 31
    Hi Mark,

When the rudder came off we realized that the bushings from D&R Marine were way to wide, so I am returning them.

It appears that my bronze rudder gudgeon had been bent and cracked and full of electrolysis to the point where it was crumbling, so we need to have a new one made. My friend and I tried our best to bend it back, and got it alittle straighter, but it started crumbling badly and so he applied several coats of epoxy and sanded it to hopefully make it to the original form size and brought it to California Casting in Richmond. We are waiting for them to pour the new part, then need to have it bored out. I have my fingers crossed that I will get it back sometime this week so they can see if that will correct the problem. Fingers crossed. If not, I will have to locate my 1978 Pearson 31' model bushings from another source. I get the jitters just thinking about it.

6. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    388 posts, 40 likes
    Precision 22 (Sold), O 240 (Sold), Precision 28
    US Somers Point
    Ugh, I hope you get it straightened out soon.

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now