Rudder Repair

Apr 13, 2016
Catalina 22 Fort Worth
Well the other day I forgot to take off the rudder before pulling the boat out and drug it on the ramp. I have some scrap fiberglass and plenty of epoxy to repair. It’s actually not damaged very bad. But the only paint I have on hand is some intelux bilgekote. Would this be ok to use? I dry sail the boat so the rudder is seldom in the water long term except for the occasional overnight/weekend cruise. Suggestions welcome.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
An oil-based gloss paint can handle a week or so in salt water.

There's also epoxy-based paints.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I would think that paint should work. I trailer sail as well and many don't have any paint just gelcoat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I dry sail the boat so the rudder is seldom in the water long term except for the occasional overnight/weekend cruise.
Nothing special should be needed. You are in the perfect situation to spray clean, buff occasionally and repaint easily with inexpensive and easy to apply products.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I had a scuffed up rudder blade as well and since it had some cracks in it when I bought the boat, I spent a few hours fairing and sanding, then filled it with thickened epoxy. I had some epoxy appliance paint hanging around the shop and that's what I painted it with. It's been about 6 years now and it's still holding up fine, it just needs to be used more.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I did the same thing twice this year! The last one took some paint and material off the rider. I used thickened epoxy to seal it, but like you, I'm a trailer sailor and didn't want to take any chances. Its worked out well so far. This winter I plan to work on the rudder because it needs some attention. Kevin