Rudder post

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Hey Bob! You have been busy...
When I replaced my ports, I found that the plywood core was wet but had not yet turned to mush. I let things dry out really well, routed back the core 1/4" to 1/2" (leaving the FG skins intact), and filled the gap with thickened epoxy. If I had to replace wood, I would do as you suggest - marine ply & epoxy. The dorades are a known source of water ingress to the core. Remove the wood tops and glass the bottom of the dorade boxes. Re-drill the drains and make sure everything is as it should be. Can't do much about mast partner leaks with the stick in. I modded the aluminum collar / mast partners to have a vertical flange on the OD. Now I use a mast boot (like the old wooden boats) to seal around the mast. I much prefer this to the Spartite approach. Also check that there are no leaks where the hand rails and the 'eyebrows' are screwed to the cabin top. If you are still getting leaks into the core, you may have to inspect to see if the hatches are still well bedded. But redoing the ports and dorades will cure 90% of the leaks. Can't help with the fridge. I have my AB evaporator mounted in the ice box, on the high shelf at the back, with the compressor directly above it, inside the starboard cockpit locker.
Best regards, Jim

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Hi Jim, and thank you for your advice and encouragement. I pulled one of the fo'csle port-lights and two from the salon. The one from the foc'sle was damp but the two I pulled from the salon are mush. I thought this may be my fate so we low-balled, figuring what we thought was going to be a lot of work. When you redid your port-lights did you epoxy between the liner and the cabin side inner laminate or only re-bond the cabin side inner and outer laminate? My fridge is also an AB on the ice shelf so an insulation upgrade (at least) is on the list.
I have not removed a deteriorated boot on the mast as I was waiting for some melding tape before I take the existing boot off. It is possible that it has already been modded as there is a band-clamp going around the bottom of the boot at the base of the mast on the partner plate. I won't know until I take it off in September.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
When you redid your port-lights did you epoxy between the liner and the cabin side inner laminate or only re-bond the cabin side inner and outer laminate?
Bob, I cut back the core (plywood) between 1/4" & 1/2" (depending on how soft it was) all the way around the port opening, leaving the inner fiberglass skin (the headliner) and the outer skin (deckhouse) intact. I then gave all the exposed wood a coat of un-thickened epoxy resin, and then filled the U-shaped area all the way round with an epoxy putty (resin thickened with cabosil to a thick peanut butter consistency). Once cured, I filed and sanded the opening smooth before installing the new ports. Now, if I were to develop a leak around the port, the water will pass into the cabin interior rather than the core wood, alerting me of a problem. I would say if you can't find good solid wood after removing between 1/4" & 1/2", you will have to put some wood in place to repair the core; after all, you need something solid to bolt or screw the ports to!

All penetrations of the deck and house should be treated this way, but the standard at the time of manufacture was to drill/cut and then seal or bed the screw or fitting with a dab of goop. There are much better ways to do things now, as detailed by forum member MaineSail on his Compass Marine website: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Thank you for your info and advice. Sooo, I'm going to replace the stays'l set-up with a furling system But I'm not sure if I should go loose footed or get complicated and keep the boom. Have you heard of anyone going either way? Should I create a different subject post for this?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Maybe a new thread. Hunter had the option in '84 and '85 and used the boom. Loose-footed would have to be the case with or without the boom. I think it would be very hard to trim without the boom.

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Thank you for your idea Ed. I am trying to figure out the line layout for either option. I will put it up on all boats and see what I get.
BobV.