Rudder Movement

declan

Mar 29, 2015
Hunter 43 Dublin
I have a Hunter 430,1996.
I am concerned about the movement at the bottom of the rudder when I "wiggle"it.
The movement is about a half to three quarters of an inch.
It is working perfectly and you would not know it by steering or looking at the top of the rudder.
I was wondering if there is an acceptable degree of movement before I change the bearings.
Any suggestions welcome.
Declan

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Rudder post play

I don't know how to interpret play at the bottom of the rudder when you wiggle it - but the advice we get most from Hunter and others is that the rudder post - at the top of the rudder - should have something less than 1/8" play when moved in any direction.

What do others have to say?

declan

Mar 29, 2015
Hunter 43 Dublin
Hi John,
Thank you for your reply.
On a point of clarification when the boat is out of the water I grab the bottom of the rudder and move it sideways.
The rudder moves about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch as measured at the bottom.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Gerry

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
Seems excessive play. On my Beneteau, I have less than that and will replace the bushings to tighten things up.

Mar 19, 2016
Hunter 430 Ballard
Hi all. I see this is an old thread but just hauled out my 1996 Hunter 430 and have the same play in the rudder. About an 1/8 inch at the rudder post. There is no play longitudinally (bow the stern) but there is some as mentioned above, laterally. Beam wise.

Did we determine that is normal? I also have no abnormal symptoms at the helm underway.

Thank you

Kenny

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
You are welcome, Kenny. No trouble at all. Hope it is of some help.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You can get the H430 rudder bearing shop drawings from Hunter documents or from me if you need them.

Perhaps the Ultra High Molecular Weight [UHMW polyethylene] bearings could have worn "sided to side" [S-S] and not "fore and aft" [F-A] , since the force of the rudder on the post is mainly S-S is a good heel.

But to wear evenly enough to equal play S-S seems dubious.

Have you checked your Rudder wheel under the deck of the Captain's seat?

Do you have Auto Pilot?
Jim...

PS: Our H430 rudder only has ≈26° swing S-S