Rudder how good is mine?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
i am in the process of buying a 84 hunter 34 in very good shape. In order to see if the rudder is in good structural shape i know i have to tape it with a hammer. But what about the tube that holding it? Do i have to remove all the rudder?
I am going to cross the gulf of mexico 550 nm and i do not want any surprise.
Any imput about rudder failure in this kind of hunter?

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
If I were you I would hire a professional (sailboat) surveyor. The water in the Gulf of Mexico is deep.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I hope you're hiring a surveyor anyway. Rudder tubes get damaged from groundings, not water intrusion like the blade. I'm not aware of any model specific defect with this component. The structural engineering of the rudder on Hunters and other production boats are well known. As long as there isn't excessive play in the rudder due to wear of the bearings, and no binding from a bent post, and no other evidence of a hard grounding anywhere on the hull, there should be little concern about the tube. I've been on a Tartan in which the rudder broke off a bit below the water line. The tube was fine. The failures are usually in the blade. They are all probably more wet than we would like to acknowledge.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It's a common practice for boat builders to use other internal metal members like flat plates welded to the rudder tube. Some builders used mild steel instead of stainless steel which over time and exposure to moisture will rust and separate from the rudder tube. This will cause a failure that is difficult to detect in advance. A moisture meter will give you some indication of the presence of moisture. You could also drill a hole in the bottom of the rudder to see if any water drains out. If it's rusty, you have the telltale signs of a potential problem. A surveyor will be able to tell you if there is moisture within the rudder but I don't believe they have the ability to detect the type of failure that I described.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The only rudder issue I know of on the 34 is on some very early 1983 ones, the rudder was too small.. It was replaced under warranty, so one as late as '84 should be fine. The post and the armature (internal rudder metal frame) are 300 series stainless.. Shemandr is right on.. do get a good surveyor to look the boat over.. The biggest "known" problem in the 34 is the compression post beam failure which has been well documented here.. Welcome to the forum.. Lots of good folks and good info here..

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
i am in the process of buying a 84 hunter 34 in very good shape. In order to see if the rudder is in good structural shape i know i have to tape it with a hammer. But what about the tube that holding it? Do i have to remove all the rudder?
I am going to cross the gulf of mexico 550 nm and i do not want any surprise.
Any imput about rudder failure in this kind of hunter?
Hey Valerio, I am in Houston too. Where are you going to slip your boat?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
IMG_0508.PNG

Awesome video @Gunni, I have never even thought about this, never mind see how they work. Very impressive! I probably would never have a reason the use one...but if I did sure would be nice to have the onboard inventory include a drogue. Any idea if something like this would work...its quite different than the one used in the video.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That looks pretty flimsy, straps don't encircle the bag. Looks more like a sea anchor than a drogue. Drogues are designed to slow the boat, not stop it. That said, I have heard of guys steering the boat in a similar manner using a bucket. I didn't want to experiment so I just went with the Galerider.