Rudder Change hunter 23.5 ?

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Did hunter change the design of the rudder or did someone other than ida sailors make a different rudder for the 23.5. My old 23.5 and my now 26 both have rudders made of fiberglass and the very tip of them are elliptical shaped. The rudder on my new 23.5 had a rudder that is squared off at the bottom, and appears to be made of something like UHMW (plastic). It is identical in shape as the original except for the squared off end. It's not an Ida sailor (the shape is wrong and mounts in all the original fashion). What bothers me is it is just slightly shorter than the original stock one (by about maybe 3-4" or so) (basically where the elliptical part starts). I'm concerned it may not be as effective as the longer one.
anyone else have this squared off rudder ?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Could the original rudder have been shortened due to damage/delamination?

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Caverun, that was my original thought until I inspected it closely.I was going to rebuild the tip but once inspected noticed it is plastic and I'm sure fiberglass wouldn't stick to it. The whole think looks like plastic.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
I think the IdaSailor, now RudderCraft, rudder, is squared off, you can get it in 48 or 42 inch length, same price here:
https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=23.5&c=3&p=54151
Its not an IdaSailor . the idasailor is more or less straight cut all the way down. and mounts in their own mount and tiller.
This one is exactly like my last hunter 23.5 but square on bottom and is made from plastic or uhmw..... mounts in all existing hunter rudder bracket.... I'll try and get a picture.....

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Its not an IdaSailor . the idasailor is more or less straight cut all the way down. and mounts in their own mount and tiller.
This one is exactly like my last hunter 23.5 but square on bottom and is made from plastic or uhmw..... mounts in all existing hunter rudder bracket.... I'll try and get a picture.....
I may have to eat crow, could it be the Idasailor but mounted in the hunter original brackets ????
the Idasailor is HDPE and this rudder is plastic. I just didn't think the Idasailor would mount in the factory brackets ..
maybe so... got to do some more research....

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The RudderCraft kick-up assembly is stand alone, ready to go sailing with just putting the tiller and rudder head together, it will mount in the original gudgeons, replaces the whole unit basically.
Give me a call if you'd like
877-932-7245 x116, Mon-Fri, 9-4 Pacific

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Dave Groshong is a sailor as well and is very very knowledgeable plus SBO IS OWNED BY A FORMER HUNTER EMPLOYEE. THEY KNOW THEIR STUFF

Feb 18, 2011
Possibly left in down position when trailering or hit something. Picture?
@caverun working on boats now at Clayton lake BSA
Hey @Crazy Dave Condon , I thought it was Claytor Lake- lots of tacking on that one! I've been down at @Kermit 's home pond- but missed him because we were there during the work week. But Lake Murray is huge and beautiful- will catch him next time.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Did you try either of the restaurants I recommended? Oh, did you see the martins?

Feb 18, 2011
Yes, Mexican was great, didn't try Liberty this time. No purple martin viewing- can't keep a rental boat out that late. Plenty of paddling and swimming though- thanks for your help.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’m glad you liked it. We love El Poblano. Heck, we just plain love Lake Murray!