Rudder cap removal (emergency tiller receptacle)

Apr 15, 2015
catalin 30 Milwaukee
Trying to drop my rudder out for repair, but cannot get the rudder post cap off. Have removed the horizontal bolt and squirted PB blaster in the holes without effect. Have put a 2 foot breaker bar in the emergency tiller receptacle while the rudder post was clamped with a vise grip and cannot break it loose. Is the cap threaded onto the top of the rudder post? Tried rotating it clockwise and counterclockwise with a great deal of force without it breaking loose. Also tried bouncing the rudder up and down without success. Last option will be to heat the cap with an acetylene torch but the nylon bearing fiberglass could easily get damaged. Any advice?

Apr 15, 2015
catalin 30 Milwaukee
Here is the solution to my problem: Owners in a similar position will not like to hear this. Used an acetylene torch on the rudder cap with wet rags covering all the fiberglass and lifted the rudder up so the heated cap would not melt the nylon O ring bearing. No success. In fact, while the cap was still hot, I inserted the breaker bar in the receptacle for the emergency tiller and it just disintegrated. The whole cap was made of cast aluminum, and apparently others have experienced failure, not during removal but during storms when desperately needed when the wheel malfunctioned.
Had to used a Dremel tool with abrasive cut off discs to cut the cap off. It was lined by white aluminum oxide that was like cement. Went to Catalina direct to order a new one and apparently the cast aluminum one is no longer available. A sturdier design made of stainless steel is available which I ordered. It was over $125. Also ordered new O ring bearings which I hope to install above the rudder with 5200 to keep further water intrusion into my rudder and the subsequent winter freeze damage.

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
Wow! That is unreal!!! I got lucky with mine. It has been replaced some time in the past with a bronze cap.