Rub Rail Replacement - '80 O'Day 25

May 8, 2009
Oday 25 Mayo, Maryland
I need to replace the rub rail and insert on the starboard side. It was severely damaged a couple of years ago when the bow came down on the finger pier during a very low tide causing it to pull away from the hull. Has anyone ever had to do this and is there a source for exact replacements?
Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Jack LaMay, co-owner, DAY DREAM

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I suspect that your best source for replacement rubrail is D&R Marine, www.dmarine.com . Rudy Nickerson runs this little shop that s THE place for O'DAY parts, he was the Parts Dept. Manager at O'DAY from 1973-89 and now has his own little shop selling O'DAY parts. A phone call is often better than simply ordering on-line (508) 644-3001
Another source is Hamilton Marine in Maine, they are online (ww.hamiltonmarine.com) and have good prices on rubrails. Final idea is TACO Marine Metals, I think they made the original, but of all of those..... D&R may be best.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
D&R supplied my rub rail and insert when I replaced all of it on my 25.
One thing I learned the hard way. Rudy will coil it for shipment. Uncoil it and lay it flat as soon as you get it. I didn't and it set up as a coil. I had to lay it out straight and screw it down on an abandoned dock and let it sit in the sun for several weeks before it could be installed. That delayed me to the point I let my yard install it.
If you are only replacing one side and not going around the bow or stern, you should be able to install it yourself.
After I pulled the old rail off I filled the holes with West 6-10 epoxy. Then I pulled the joint screws out a couple at a time, coated them with 3M 5200 and reinstalled. When installing the new rail don't try to put the screws in the old holes. Just put them in new holes. Much easier.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Wards right about filling the old screw holes....the new holes will likely not match the old screw locations...O'day warned me
about the screw holes...this was when O'day was still in business....they stated one of their biggest factory headaches was
rub rails not fitting ultimately correctly so they would grab another new rub-rail and try to install it using the old holes but the
holes in the metal rail would not match....hence lots of leaks at the old hole locations...so fill the old holes after taking the old rub rail off...and before installation of the new one...good luck, Patrick