Rub rail moulding

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
All,
Another question for those who have a N28-2. On the outside edge of the deck, directly below the toe rail, my N28-2 is missing something. The bottom fiberglass edge of the deck overhang is exposed. There is a line of rivets or rivet holes spaced about four inches apart along the entire length of the boat. At the bow, there was a short piece, maybe a couple of inches long, that looks like a piece of plastic corner moulding that is still attached by rivets . This piece is attached flush with the fiberglass deck edge, and closes of the gap between the outside edge and the hull side.

The first question, is this the correct piece that is supposed to cover this area, or is this a PO installed part that failed?

Second, if this not the correct part, what should be there?

Third, does anyone know of a source for the correct part?

And finally, does anyone have a picture of, or can take a picture of the correct part installed on their N28-2?

Just for reference, my boat is a N28-2 1982 model, hull number 461.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Mitch

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
OK, time to get back to this issue. As previously stated, I am searching for the plastic piece that encloses the deck to hull flange area. Anyway, here are some pictures of the part I am lookin for on my boat, a couple of pictures of a different boat with the same type of edge, and a third boat that is using a different type of edge piece. Hopefully the pictures will explain what I am looking for.

The first three are of my boat, the second three are of someone else's Newport, but it appears to have had the same edge piece.

The last two are a Newport with a different type of edge. I can actually locate this type of edge, and have even found a supplier for this edge strip. Of course to get it in the necessary length, I will have to purchase a 250ft piece. Way more than I need, but at least it is available. Judging from these pictures, this does not look like an original piece. The reason I say this, is the presence of what appears to be evenly spaced holes drilled through the edge that look like the rivet holes on mine.

If I end up going with this type of edge, I will probably inject some black 5200 into the piece before I install it in an effort to make sure it stays put. Any thought on this idea?

Mitch

Attachments

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I have have owned 2 Capital Yachts boats a Neptune 24 and now a Newport 28, knowing the build quality of these boats I would doubt that trim piece was original. My N-24 had the same outboard flange detail (a 1980 model) with nothing on that lower edge. I have a 1976 N-28 and it has a different hull / deck joint detail. I would say do what feels right.
Don't use 5200 on anything that might ever need to be removes, it will pull gelcoat right off.