Ross!! I Am Calling You Out!!!! Cook-off!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Out here I can only get masa harina (lime treated corn). We have a fair hispanic population but not much variety in the food.
my chili recipe is one of about ten thousand but basically calls for one chili of each kind in the produce section except no habineros one onion and as much celery as onion, one pound of pinto or red kidney beans soaked over night and cooked tender and drained and one pint of tomatoes, for each pound of ground meat, salt, black pepper, gound cumin, paprica and a pint off beef stock, a half cup of soy sauce and a half cup of worchestershire sauce. Cook it today and reheat it to eat tommorow.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
my chili verde--many ways to make this--this is only one of many recipes i have for it!
pork steaks--the cheap ones... with bone in..tomatillos--i used 10 i think, last time...2 decent sized onions. CILANTRO. one bunch.(or 4 cubes by knorr) lotsa garlic cloves.yes--LOTS...more meat-more garlic. long green chili peppers---4. i burn them on a griddle on the stove top or in the burner flame to get the skin to bubble off the meat of the pepper.. then dunk into ice water then peel off the hard skin. the seeds will make the chili hotter as they sit in the mix. if i want more heat, i add all or part of one serrano pepper, minced. when skin is off the long green chiles, slice them the long way into strips, then across--not quite diced, but not just sliced-- they will cook down.
in a pot, add some olive oil--i use extra virgin. brown the pork steaks after cutting into cubes. brown all sides well. add onion and garlic to this as it cooks it will mix up nicely.
when that is nicely alll brown and carmelized and smelling great, add the chiles, halved tomatillos, and chopped cilantro to taste --up to and including entire bunch. will cook down..allow to cook simmering until the mix is a stew and tomatillos have cooked down--abut 1-2 hours. salt to taste. make great main dish or filler for burritos and tamales. i add a lil mortons natures seasonings as it cooks down.. meat should be shredded and all cooked down into a nice stew.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
stews and soups are the best cold weather foods....warm the house and bodies as well...chilis are stews..yummmmmmmmmm.....longer and slower they cook, the better they taste......

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Stews and soups will also feed more people for a given amount of food. It just seems to be more satisfying.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
so far in my stores i have split peas by bagfulls, 16 bean soup bags, beans, instant miso soup for when the cold on watch is needing and and gut warmer with substance lol.. (seaweed and tofu)--is a nice change from bouillon.....need to get many more of the bags of bean soups-- yummmmm....and lots of lamp oil..is turning out to be a nasty winter, just as my desert dwelling friends warned me....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The least costly way of getting 15 bean soup mix is to shop the stores for as many kinds of beans as you can find. Typically around here they are less than a dollar per pound but the 15 bean mix can run as much as three bucks per pound. Mix them in a very large bowl or bucket and measure them out into zipper freezer bags. I make cloth bags from the legs of trousers and store the plastic bags in those to avoid damage to the plastic. If you go to goodwill and buy the biggest pants on the rack you can make some pretty descent bags for about a buck and a half each. Just close the ends with a constrictor knot.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
goya makes a cheepo 16 i get in the barrio for 16 oz size costs me $1.89. is good to have abarrio near by and across the bay from me.this store has many kinds of beans and dried stuff--hominy and rices and bans--all kinds of good stuff.

today i am cooking down some yellow chicken i bought and adding celery and carrots and onions and garlic.... will become a chicken soup of some kind....is makin gmy boat nice n warm--is a cold and wet one here with 20kt winds at coldish temps..... lotsa rain....anyone wanna bet on snow in new orleans for christmas???? LOL just might ....be.....

when i dont have a barrio near me i use what i can find..... inexpensive as possible...i excellent info, ross-- thankyou!!!. bulk rocks..many pricey stores have bulk items such as beans, oats, rices, stuff... is a good way to save....
our windspeed is 20 kts and our wind direction is out of south and we be storming. 3 days now of it..spozed to still be giving us grief tomorrow also......

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
zeehag , you need to find a smokehouse that will dry cure some very meaty ham hocks for you. If they be dry enough they won't rot. I make split pea soup by the gallon and can it. Also new england baked beans put up in jars.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
ross--sounds ideal and divine.....i need to search..gotta be a place near here.

my chicky soup today----
did the yellow chicken with onions and garlic-- cook down into carmelized mixture..added some cqarrots and celery and water and i cooked it a lot longer, then added taters--i cut 3 small russets into bits an added and some cabbage remnants that looked like only good for soup--sliced it thin..added a can of corn....cookerd more--- addeed 2 cubes of knorr chipotle ..lol/ forgot the bay leaf,, forgot the pozole seasoning-- but the chipotle was excellent with the pollo asado i soaked for 2 days in fosters blue can lager..lol.....worked well...... snakking on it as i wait out the dang wind-- the front is directly over us and is a windy beeeetch......goood weather for cooking. trouble is-- storm isnt leaving here until thu and next one comes in fri..wow.....

taters changes it a lot--- diversifies things nicely.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ross, Zee.... maybe you can get them to sell these goodies on the SBO store???

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Cabbage is wonderful food. I try to keep one on hand all the time for cooking . They can get really scuzzy looking and just cutting away a few thin skices brings back a nice clean fresh cabbage. I once had one that I had mostly used but still kept and it decided that spring had come and it bolted to blossom. I guess that as long as the core is intact the cabbage is alive and healthy.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
that soup is awesome today-- is raining from hell and not supposed to stop until thu, then we get another, COLD storm from pnw to top it alll off fiday-- and the winds are brisk!!!! looks like snow for new orleans andgulf coast..LOL!!!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Did a small search for meat markets in SD. It would seem that there are several that could dry cure and smoke bacon and ham or shoulder for you that wouldn't need refrigeration. The summer sausage also falls into that catagory. Often you see pepperoni stacked on top of a counter waiting to sell. We used to buy slab bacon that was left out on the counter or hung in the pantry.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
Did a small search for meat markets in SD. It would seem that there are several that could dry cure and smoke bacon and ham or shoulder for you that wouldn't need refrigeration. The summer sausage also falls into that catagory. Often you see pepperoni stacked on top of a counter waiting to sell. We used to buy slab bacon that was left out on the counter or hung in the pantry.
ty ross!! that is awesome!!!! i will be able to start provisioning in january,about midmonth-- budgeting is BEAR!!!!
this time of year, also, in this chill water, is a decent lace at and below waterline for stowage of foodstuffs--those ham hocks will fit in there quite nicely...as water outside hull warms ,i relocate items requiring cooler temps to different cooler places in boat....

oh--i MAY have a new sailpartner--LOL...OMG!!! so many offers!! so LITTLE time!!! to be announced when i see the whites of his eyes...meeting with someone after the holidays---we see what turns up..talked with 2 fellas today sound positive---there are quite a few souls out here with open-ended plans...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I found one processor that sells slab bacon for a bit under 7 bucks per pound with a 3 month shelf life no refrigeration. So these places are out there just kinda hard to find.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
i like pasta--macaroni--with rea lbutter and salt -- yummmy-- especially if it is goood pasta.. so i was making me a snack and i got the macaroni and i made that with my land o lakes butter and fresh ground sea salt--lol i have to have my toys too- good flavor.. and then i added a lil sliced onion,avo, roma tomato, vinegar of choice, extra virgin olive oil...( this was older and less pricey , thus, CHEEPO pasta-- needs help!) and OMG--snack turned into dinner ..LOL.... fresh herbs are good in this as are other yummiliscious things findable. i bet pineapple and fresh coconut would also be good in this.....cranberries....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Where is your asiago cheese?

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
Where is your asiago cheese?
rofl--i cheat----
krapt shredded parmesan romano and asiago .. someitmes they have 4 cheeses in one -- shredded into one cheater plastic shaking jar.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.