Ross!! I Am Calling You Out!!!! Cook-off!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
You can always add a bit of water as needed to avoid burning it when you heat it. One of our standard sandwiches was whole wheat bread and butter and mashed baked beans. Beans lifted out with a slotted spoon will serve just as well.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I have two suggestions.
If you like chocolate almond bark but don't like the price it is easy to make . 2 laarge bags of semi sweet chocolate chips and a pound of salted dry roasted almonds. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler stir in the nuts and spead it on the coated side of a sheet of freezer paper. It takes about 18 hours to harden properly.

Number two: I got a jar of orange marmalade out this morning, part of a large batch I made a couple of years ago. Homemade is far and away better than any store bought but I warn you it is a project. The best recipe is in the Ball Blue Book of Canning. I added cranberries to the recipe.
http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/orange-marmalade/
This is the best I could find on line.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Number two: I got a jar of orange marmalade out this morning, part of a large batch I made a couple of years ago. Homemade is far and away better than any store bought but I warn you it is a project. The best recipe is in the Ball Blue Book of Canning. I added cranberries to the recipe.
http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/orange-marmalade/
This is the best I could find on line.
Public Radio had a segment this past weekend on marmalade. Here's a link to the recipe.
http://www.publicradio.org/columns/splendid-table/recipes/marmalade-lemonpinkgrapefruit.html

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
dark chocolate and dried fruits are awesome together

Pops

Apr 11, 2004
- - Albemarle Sound
I am on the boat now and am wondering if anyone has a recipe for some kind of pan bread. I have no oven but would love fresh bread. I do have a pressure cooker.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I am on the boat now and am wondering if anyone has a recipe for some kind of pan bread. I have no oven but would love fresh bread. I do have a pressure cooker.
Pancakes are the best bet for a quick bread. I make little corn meal and flour pancakes for chili, and oat meal and flour pancakes for other meals or just for buttered bread. The ratios I use are a half cup each flour and cornmeal ,a teaspoon of baking powder a half teaspoon of salt an egg and enough milk to make a batter that will pour. Cook them in a little fat, they are best if the edges fry. You can add almost anything to them for variety. Crumble some sausage and fry it well and add that to the batter, little ham cubes raisins, nuts, cheese chunks, saute some onion and green pepper. If you make them little (about 3 inch) they eat well in hand.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
English muffins can also be made to work but are much more complicated.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
tonite is a cherries garcia kinda night-- even if it is cold..lol. have a good one guys.......

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
This morning I am trying a small batch of biscuits in the skillet on top of the stove. I have a tight fitting lid and a flame spreader so that I don't have hot spots.
Edit to Add: It worked quite nicely.

Attachments

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Macgregor 22 Alexandria, VA
I've been wanting to try this one for a while now.

Catfish Courtbuillion

2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 bunch green onion tops, chopped
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup (8 ounces) water
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
3 pounds of catfish (preferably Spotted, but Blue may be substituted)

Put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a #14 cast iron pot. Put a thin layer of a mixture of all the vegetables but the green onions and parsley on the bottom of the pot. Follow with a single, loose layer of fish pieces. Sprinkle some of a mixture of the seasonings and some of the flour on top of the fish. Drizzle some of the tomato sauce and water over the seasonings. Repeat the layering process, adding more flour, seasonings, vegetables, and tomato sauce as needed until there is no more fish left. Boil, covered, over a very low heat for thirty to forty-five minutes. Add the green onions and parsley and cook for another five minutes. Serve over boiled rice.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
sounds very good. would feed a crowd.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
biscuits in the fry or saucepan was what i was practicing before i took off for gulf--i even made cake mix cookies in my saucepan..has a lid, so i used it....i think the cookies failed a bit-- got impatient...and the biscuits i did in gulf also-- worked well at anchor..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
biscuits in the fry or saucepan was what i was practicing before i took off for gulf--i even made cake mix cookies in my saucepan..has a lid, so i used it....i think the cookies failed a bit-- got impatient...and the biscuits i did in gulf also-- worked well at anchor..
When electric frypans first became popular we sometime made upside down cake in them. Just cooked the sugar,butter and fruit until it was syrupy and poured in the cake batter and put the lid on, for the last ten of fifteen minutes we vented the top to dry the cake surface. When it tested done we inverted the pan onto a plate so that the fruit was on top.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
christmas traditions

this is a mexican christmas tradition.

couplafew chickee legs--i get the ones marinating in red chile at my local barrio market.
place into heated oil in pan. add onion, garlic and hebs--i used the pozole and menudo spices an a bayleaf. cook that together until meat is off bones and well cooked and cooked down to minimal liquid.
we bought tortilal masa--and had to add some chicken bouillon in water to moisten the masa mix(about 1/4-1/2 cup)mix the bouillon in well..
place corn husks into water to moisten.
take corn husk and paint with masa mix. add some(about 3 tbsp) meat mixture to that. make another corn husk and place together with meat mix in middle. can add olives, chiles, whatever to this. wrap up and tie with corn husk strips so they dont fall apart. steam in pressure cooker for 20 min. ta daaaa.. tamales!!!!!!
here are many kinds of tamales-- will make sweet ones soon... new year's special...

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
this is a mexican christmas tradition.

couplafew chickee legs--i get the ones marinating in red chile at my local barrio market.
place into heated oil in pan. add onion, garlic and hebs--i used the pozole and menudo spices an a bayleaf. cook that together until meat is off bones and well cooked and cooked down to minimal liquid.
we bought tortilal masa--and had to add some chicken bouillon in water to moisten the masa mix(about 1/4-1/2 cup)mix the bouillon in well..
place corn husks into water to moisten.
take corn husk and paint with masa mix. add some(about 3 tbsp) meat mixture to that. make another corn husk and place together with meat mix in middle. can add olives, chiles, whatever to this. wrap up and tie with corn husk strips so they dont fall apart. steam in pressure cooker for 20 min. ta daaaa.. tamales!!!!!!
here are many kinds of tamales-- will make sweet ones soon... new year's special...

I wanna be on your boat.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
rofl.
i have crew openings including that of sailpartner--which is a long term position..i have big plans for stuff i cannot talk of at present--- is goood stuff....will be fun!!!

above i wanted to say the biscuits i made in gulf turned out well--is just choco cookies cake i didnt have patience for--never have a chocoholic make the choco cookies..LOL

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
If only I weren't tied down. Zorba the Greek put it best...

"Am I not a man? And is a man not stupid? I'm a man, so I married. Wife, children, house, everything. The full catastrophe."

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Allright, I'm pulling out the stops on recipie-winship.

2-day Chili

5 pounds pork loin
1 pound black beans, dry
8 tomatillos
10 cloves of garlic, maybe more
1 small can green chillies
1/2 white onion
2 Jalepenos
1 small can red enchilada sauce
1 bay leaf

Day 1: Make Chili Verde
Slice and brown pork loin in red Adobo, remove to crock pot.
Halve and roast tomatillos with garlic cloves under broiler or in toaster oven.
Use some pork fat to carmalize the onion, sliced fine, and add green chilies, jalepeno, and bay leaf. Add roasted garlic and tomatillos, cook until it's a spicy green mash. Remove bay leaf and pour over pork in crock pot. Cook for an afternoon, and enjoy a light supper with some of the mix and some fresh tortillas and a Cuba Libre.

Day 2: Make Chili
Heat up your leftover Chili Verde in the crock pot. Soak and boil black beans until they're losing their toughness. Add to the pot, with as much water is needed to keep softening them. Add red enchilada sauce to the fork-tender pork and black bean chili goodness you now have. Invite guests and enjoy, or can it for storage and future gastronomic ecstacy.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
with my tamales-- try to buy the masa for tamales--i bought the masa for tortillas-- i didnt knead it well enough so salt was not evenly distributed throughout the masa-and it needed a lil more time steaming-- so a total of 45 mins for steaming them.
chile verde-- lol a specialty of mine,and sooo many ways to make it...we will go there in a few weeks...tomorrow i will fix my yellow chicken again..lol.. makes such goood chicken with rice the next day...i asked the market guys for the recipe-- they wont give it until i leave town-- there is a serious customer deficit lately----

Status
Not open for further replies.