Ross!! I Am Calling You Out!!!! Cook-off!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
ok gurleez and boyzz--- what i said above.....LOL
i am sitting here watching k-mart's last blue light special cruise adventure ship be dragged into a port wharf cooking a pot of pozole on my ship's stove--as is only one i own..LOl....laughing and smelling the wonderful smells of cooking this stew.
i got some pork--was a big steak--- cut into cubes and start searing the outer parts well in a pan with olive oil in bottom. add chopped onion and as much garlic as you can tolerate plus some more. add seasoning--i use somjething i get from the barrio across the lil puddle of a bay here--is called madrecita(brand) sasonador para pozole y menudo. i sseasoning for pozole and menudo (LOL) and is wonderful on all kinds of things. has in it: chiles, oregano, and many other magical ingredients not mentioned on the lil bag. use generously.
let that render in the pan in which th e pork is cooked. this takes a long time to cook.
i also add some mortons natures seasons...just a shake or 2, this time i used 5 cloves and lots of granulated garlic shaken into the mix, added 2 diced roma tomatoes, another diced onion, and some caldo de tomate (knorr) and allow to simmer in own juice for until meat is shredding. add a largish can of hominy-use th water from the can and mebbe a tad more- as large as pot allows..... simmer for a long time. let sit overnite and simmer some more. serve with finely chopped onion and cilantro, lime wedge and heated corn tortillas. you may need to add some water to the pozole for the next day's warming.
rice--a kind of spanish rice, also should be served with this, as is a stew, and that is custom. for that i add some olive oil to a pan, heat and add the rice to sear it before cooking in a broth made in itself of tomatoes, finely chopped, onion, garlic, cilantro. water for the steaming to equal the proper amount of water for the rice. i use calrose rice . steam covered until rice is done. best pans for this job have been known to be heavy cast iron ones with the lid. my other favorite pan i just found--was a costco thing-- heavy double bottom -- i think cast alum-is heavy-- with nonstick that works. good for popcorn, rice an stews.
i use caldo de tomate also for the rice-adds a tad of color and is a salty seasoning with just the right bits in it... serve in a separate dish on the side or allow the guests to serve self family style.
pressure cooker doesnt do the same in this as does slooow cooking. crockpot doesnt sear or render well enough for this.
the gringo name for this yummy nom is pork and hominy stew.
helpful hint--you cannot have enough or too much cilantro for this soup.
you also cannot have enough or too much hominy for it.

Last edited:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Absolutely first rate. I haven't fixed anything that complex in a while. Long slow cooking brings out flavors that can only be gotten on top of the stove. A wonderful combination of ingreedaments.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
Absolutely first rate. I haven't fixed anything that complex in a while. Long slow cooking brings out flavors that can only be gotten on top of the stove. A wonderful combination of ingreedaments.
figured this is a good way to mebbe continue a food section, mods willing-- mebbe they can sticky both for a gourmet/gourmands delight subforum....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Good plan.
We have had a grand harvest of good cooking pumpkins this year and I have been chasing recipes of all sorts. Besides pies and cooking them like winter squash, I have roasted chicken thighs on slabs of pumpkin. I like it. Nancy will eat it but is not thrilled. I have seen many soup recipes but haven't tried any yet.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Now we're talking - a recipes forum!! Zee, you're making me hungry!! Pozole sounds like a good hangover food as well.

I'll have to dig through my recipes folder tonight. (My Momma's gumbo, for one.)

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
Now we're talking - a recipes forum!! Zee, you're making me hungry!! Pozole sounds like a good hangover food as well.

I'll have to dig through my recipes folder tonight. (My Momma's gumbo, for one.)

oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh.... gumbo----mommas, too--- wow--might even make me break out my clammie chowder for an army recipe..LOL....you know i miss the food of gulf of mexico---lol .

my recipes are in my brain. if i die tomorrow no one will ever eat right again in life lol...except at ross's house ..lol.. so i best share.....

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
drunken chicken!

whole chicken
herbs and sliced chiles and spices and garlic slices--whatever you wish to place under skin of chikkee
1 qt tecate beer in a glass bottle
place items desired to flavor chckee under its skin- stuff as far under as ye can get--this is the ooky part of the job-- stuff those bits in htere between skin and meat.
place chicken in a large pot or bowl
pour beer over chickee until it cries for you to stop--use whole qt
drink another one for yourself
when yours is gone, is time to cook chicken
place butt down on th e grill --must have a lid to cover completely this chicken--dont want it hopping off the grill at ye.. so , whil eyou are drinking your first quart of tecate, the chicken is cooking-- half way thru , turn chicken onto its head so breast meat gets cooked nocely
for last 10 min-20 min, have chicky on its butt again -- when your quart of tecate is drunk, chicken is done.; should take an hour. serve with whatever ye serve your chicken with---goes well with tortillas and salad at a gold mine in baja...LOL. drink your second quart of tecate with the meal. share if ye has to..LOL

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: drunken chicken!

I have frozen a pint of oysters and stuffed them under the skin of a chicken and roasted it. But little mushrooms, chilies, sliced onions and garlic would be good.
Tonight I roasted a half chicken with just salt and pepper for seasoning and cooked rice, made gravy and steamed broccoli for supper. Have left over chicken ,rice and gravy. Nother veggie for tomorrow and supper is done.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just made some Spanish Bean Soup. Prep time 5 minutes, cooking time 40 minutes. Take a small bag of dried chick peas and wash them , cube a medium size potatoe and a medium sized onion. smash a couple of cloves of garlic. Put two tablespoons of olive oil in a pressure cooker pot, add the beans, potato and onion and garlic. Add two packets of GOYA brand seasoning wich includes Coriander and Annato. Cover with water and mix it all around. I have an electric pressure cooker which contains much of the liquid so if using a stove top, noise maker use a little extra water. Turn the heat off at the end of 30 minutes and let the pot cool and loose pressure naturally. The potatoes will be soft and the chick peas firm. Serve in a bowl and add salt to taste and a little hot sauce for a kick. Oh, I forgot in mine I also add a big tablespoon of bacon grease with the olive oil. It will also taste better the 2nd day. A pressure cooker is a good tool especially when cooking aboard a boat. I find a boat's stove requires constant watching and also you want to conserve cooking fuel so a pressure cooker will cut the average cooking time by at least 40%.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Split pea soup is a staple here.Nancy told me we were down to the last jar a week ago so I set about to make some more.
It starts with about five pounds of smoked ham hocks or neck bones cooked with about five or six bay leaves in six quarts of water until the meat falls off the bones when you lift them with a slotted spoon. Replenish the water if it boils low.
Time to get rid of the bones and the meat skins and to shred the meat.
Chop two onions and two large peeled carrots and add two pounds of dried split green peas and a couple of cups of chopped celery with the leaves and a Serrano chili or two. ( jalapeno chilis don't keep their heat in the canning process) Continue cooking until the peas are completely mush, stir often to avoid the soup sticking and scorching. Fill several jars and process in a pressure canner and put the rest in the fridge for later. My batch made seven 24 ounce jars and a quart for later. We try not to ever run out of this .

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
ross-- sounds yummy, i love serrano chiles- they have a better flavor than jalapenos i found......
this is the other half of my entertainment of the day-- btw-- the pozole was perfect-- i feel soooo fat now--LOL

you see is a blue light special.....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Winter squash or pumpkin soup. Had to try one, so this is what I did: cut 3 strips of bacon into small pieces and tried out the fat until they were just crispy, Added 3 chopped mushrooms, two chopped cloves of garlic, a small onion diced, and about a cup of celery chopped, 3 inches of Hillshire smoked sausage quartered and sliced small, a pint of chicken stock and a pound of cooked fresh pumpkin, a half teaspoon of my crushed chilie, a pinch of dried tarragon and salt and black pepper to taste.
The prep time is a bit over an hour. We found it to be a little on the sweet side for our taste so I added about two tablespoons of crushed tomatoes. I keep a frozen lump in the freezer and just shave off what I need.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
This time of year I llike to break out the dutch oven and do stews.

For my last weekend on the boat before haul out I cubed two lbs of pork shoulder, dredged in flour and seared. Added in a 26oz box of Pomi diced tomatoes, two cups of red wine, a half cup of balsamic vinegar, a big onion, mushrooms, carrots, a jalapeno, potatoes and salt, pepper, garlic to taste (I don't measure). Cubed/diced everything and cooked the whole works down for five hours and filled up a couple of containers to take to the boat.

Really warms you up when the outside temps are hitting 40 degrees.

Jim

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Celery would be a good addition to that pork stew. I like to include some whole kernal corn and lima beans also.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Question...

Do y'all ever make anything that doesn't require a pressure cooker, slow cooker or a very large pot?

I like my meat and veggies separated..maybe a marinated pork loin or a chicken...shrimp or sea scallops on a skewer...fresh caught fish...on the grill alongside an assortment of fresh veggies in a foil packet with a couple of ice cubes (the ice melts, steaming the veggies) and a baked potato or yam or maybe an ear of corn.

Where are your recipes for marinades (did you know you can marinate ANY meat, even chicken before you freeze it?)...salads... desserts....snacks...appetizers...?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Question...

I have several marinades that I favor: vinegar and soya sauce and oil is my basic, Soya sauce and black bean sauce is excellant, lemon juice and grated rind is good with basil, Cider and rosemary works well with red meat. Any acid and salt will help to preserve the meat. my pumpkin soup today was made in a two quart pan. There are several rubs that i use but they are very complex and time dependent.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Question...

Peggie, a more complete answer to you question. Fresh veggies are somewhat seasonal. I enjoy marinating meat in pieces about an inch square and two or three ounces per piece and roasting them on the grill. Turkey breast is very fine for this and the range of fresh summer veggies that can be done along side is quite long. Corn can be grilled with or without the husk, summer squash brushed with oil and salted and peppered and grilled is good food. A half semi boneless chicken marinated and put in a heat proof pan and roasted on the grill keeps the heat out of the kitchen. When the chicken is done a half cup of flour may be stirred into the drippings and then added to two cups of self rising flour and mixed with some milk to make biscuits. Bake them in the pan you mix them in and roast them in the grill with the cover in place. Mushrooms and onions marinated with the meat is always good.
I can spiced apples in half pints and pints. Deserts are usually biscuits with jelly or cookies. During strawberry season I make a custard sauce to have with sugared berries with a dash of amaretto after that it is peaches and then apple pie with the pastry made with poultry fat, NOT crisco.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
peggy-- i use my bbq in winter and summer- i use beer as a base for marinades, and throw in stuff... vinegar, oregano, herbs, garlic, ye know-- stuff--- salt. small pinch sugar....i might substitute molasses for sugar -- i do stuff.... but i start out with beer. for beef -- oregano and salt. with beef i use beer, oregano, garlic, worcestershire sauce and pinch of sugar and build on that. pork does well with fruits and onion and has much flexibility.

when i catch fish i cook it on grill after i fillet it...or i coat it in flour seasoned with cajun seasonings .... fry in extra virgin olive oil with a lil butter in it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Both of you made it obvious that I'm a different kind of cook. But that's ok...y'all can enjoy what you do and I can enjoy what I like.

But while I appreciate zeehag's response, I don't think we're on the same culinary wave length...'cuz I would rather starve than flour any fish or meat to cook it and while beer is an interesting marinade base, IMO fruit juice or wine are only two of several bases that are lot more interesting and flavorful.

And btw Ross...fresh veggies are no longer seasonal unless you insist on locally grown organic. My local supermarket even had fresh strawberries to DIE for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.