Rope length

Jan 6, 2008
Hunter 26 Ks
Can anyone tell me the following, rope length and size for a hunter 26 through the clutches for
1. Outhaul length and size (3/8 or 1/4)
2. Uphaul length and size
3. Reef Line
4. Length from top of mast to boom.
I know I can go measure, but not in the snow and just getting the fever.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm fairly sure the outhaul, reef and centerboard line are all 3/8. The halyard is larger but I'm not sure what.

You should PM @Crazy Dave Condon He knows this stuff in his sleep.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Former dealor who was very much involved. On the up haul centerboard line it is 7/16 inch only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please order from the forum store as that is the best one I ever used but add 2-3 feet extra. On halyards see if they add any extra but red is for jib halyard and blue for main halyard.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not "rope" we call them "lines". These lines are made of different materials and threaded in different ways to render specific qualities of stretch and rigidity in different sizes for the specific purpose intended aboard a boat. Even the anchor line is referred to as "rode". Over the years I have found out that precise communications can be critical aboard a boat and that precision starts with using the correct nomenclature for each and every component and process. My only motive is to promote the importance of learning and using proper terminology; I also called it rope at one time.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Not "rope" we call them "lines". These lines are made of different materials and threaded in different ways to render specific qualities of stretch and rigidity in different sizes for the specific purpose intended aboard a boat. Even the anchor line is referred to as "rode". Over the years I have found out that precise communications can be critical aboard a boat and that precision starts with using the correct nomenclature for each and every component and process. My only motive is to promote the importance of learning and using proper terminology; I also called it rope at one time.
:plus: and with that said... it used to all be made out of hemp and if you smoked it, it is called smoking rope...:pimp:

... and now we know why that emoji was created. I've been wondering.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Actually, the correct nomenclature is 'rope' until the rope is installed for a specific purpose. Then it is called 'line.' A coil of spare rope hanging in the lazarette is called 'spare rope,' not 'spare line.' And all lines have specific purpose and therefore have specific names such as 'main sheet' and 'jib halyard.'

These are grammatically proper questions: What rope size and length are recommended for the main halyard? What kind of rope do you prefer for jib sheets?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
For the record the forum store has the lengths of the Hunters as the site is owned by a former Hunter employee and know what to send.
Folks, lets not digress into vocabulary. The most important part is to help our new sailors who in time will learn just like we did in the beginning. This is why the Hunter trailerables were color coded so newbies knew what to grab for until proper language was learned.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Folks, lets not digress into vocabulary. The most important part is to help our new sailors who in time will learn just like we did in the beginning...
Digressing into vocabulary does exactly that. The use of sailor jargon is super helpful when communicating with other sailors, especially when asking for advice on sailboat components.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
We can agree to disagree.
On new sailors I felt that knowing the official language seemed to overwhelm newbies so I found speaking in layman’s terms until they learned the correctly terminology was most appropriate which many appreciated.

Last edited: