Roller Furling Line

Mar 27, 2017
Hunter Hunter 27 Rockport
Every spring when I put on the jib I am left with a big pile of line on the bow deck and what to do with it. Just does not seem right. See attached photo.
Comments? Suggestions?
BF

Attachments

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
If I am looking at this correctly your halyard comes back down the forestay and that is what you have shown secured. If so, I also noticed a possible "turning block" incorporated at the base to lead the line aft.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Since you only use that coiled line to raise and lower the sail.... cut it off... leaving enough to tie on the cleat. At the end of that halyard, splice or tie in an eye. You can connect the coiled line to it when you need to hoist or drop. Stow it inside when not in use.

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 27 Atwood Lake, OH
What Joe mentioned, is exactly what I do with my CDI furler. I tie a messenger line to the shortened (cutoff) halyard to drop the sail and use it to raise the headsail and remove it and cleat off the shorten halyard. When we remove the head sail for the season, I use a second messenger line to pull the halyard back down into the furler extrusion so it's protected from the weather for the winter and remove the primary messenger, leaving the second messenger exposed to the weather and tie that off where it's not slapping the mast for the winter. Seems a bit goofy, but it works for me. The good rope is too expensive to leave out all winter.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's what I did on my CDI as well. Just never forget to tie the messenger line before you drop the sail!
The Hunter Hood furler is designed so that the halyard is led aft.

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
It helps to NOT furl the jib with out tension. Add some tension so the sai rolls up tight and line wrapping around drum has some tension. Saludos!