Roller Furling: Cover in winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick

Those of you in the wintery north, do you cover or even remove your roller furling in the winter?

M

Mike

Remove it

Your question is a litle unclear. I remove my genoa, inspect it, fold it and store inside for the winter. I drop the mast and remove all the standing rigging from the deck, including the roller furler, and hang it from the rafters of the garage. I inspect the shrouds before I put the mast away. I also brace the furling foil and drum so they do not get damaged. I have a C22. If I had a larger boat that was stored at a marina with the mast up, I would still remove the foresail and get it out of the weather.

R

Rick D

cover It

My mast remains up all winter so I just wrap the drum in a heavy plastic bag, tape It up. You really don't want any ice buildup in the drum.

B

Bob Heyworth

Hopefully this works...

We are wintering our boat afloat at the marina. Although we get snow and freezing temperatures, the lake does not freeze over winter. We have removed and stored the mainsail but have decided to leave the genoa furled, and covered with a tube "sock". If anyone out there has had experience with similar conditions and would strongly recommend another approach...please let us know!

R

Rick

Just the mechanism

Hi Mike, Yes, I have removed the sails, was just wondering what to do with the mechanism. I figured I should cover it at the very least, but I think I'll take it of and bring it home as you suggest. Thanks one and all for your input, it's apreciated.

M

Mike

to Rick

Rick, I leave my CDI furler attached to the forestay, and all of the standing rigging attached to the mast. I coil every thing up carefully, except for the furling gear. I do not remove the furler from the forestay. I use duct tape backwards to attach a short board to extend the base of the mast. I then secure the furler to that board so it doesn't get damaged in any way while transporting the boat. I wrap the duct tape with the sticky side out so as not to have it adhere to the mast. I finish the last wrap with a piece opposing to cover the sticky part. That is how I also coil the shrouds.

J

John

I remove my mast

and take it home for the winter clean the mast and stays and clean the sail tracks then put it in the garage This makes the boat easey to cover and work on over the winter and It cuts down on the scraches that you get wial working on deck .I bag all the lines and the furler .I have aC30 TR 1988 John

Status
Not open for further replies.