Roller furler of a Catalina 22presion

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
A wonderful item on a 30 foot plus boat where the head sail is very large and a lot of work to install.

On a 22 foot boat it’s just one of those tricked out accessories that really does not add anything to the boats sailing or handling capabilities. The total cost of everything involved with this addition would be a much greater dollar than adding some additional head sails to handle different winds, which outweighs the little convenience it adds.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I have a cdi furler which suits my needs. I like being able to shorten sail without going forward to Hank on another jib. Now as often pointed out you will not get awesome sail trim with a reefed genoa but with the ease of balancing the sail plan with a pull of a furling line.....Questions to ask. Am I trailering alot. Am I the only "sailor" on the boat if things get interesting? Am I mobile enough to go forward for those sail changes? Just to throw out a few.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Any suggestions for a roller furler for my 22 ? thanks
We've had the Schaefer CF-500 since last season. I have nothing to compare to, but we've been very happy with it. The install was straightforward, and we've had no problems. I picked the Schaefer over the CDI because it allows adjusting halyard tension. Not sure how much of a benefit that is with my limited sail trim abilities, but maybe as I learn more...

We're cruisers, so we motor when necessary, but we prefer to sail as much as possible. I find that anything we do to simplify sail handling means that we raise sails sooner and take them down later. My wife and kids all agree that adding the furler was a big win in that regard. As always, YMMV, but I hope that helps.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Questions to ask. Am I trailering alot. Am I the only "sailor" on the boat if things get interesting? Am I mobile enough to go forward for those sail changes? Just to throw out a few.
+1

Those are the questions we pondered.

Our boat came with a CDI furler, but I had originally considered removing it in favour of 3 hank on sails.

We currently have marina slip on on a very large lake (9500 sq miles) that is shallow (mean of 40 feet).
On our C22, with narrow side decks, I'm not a fan of going forward in the waves that a shallow body of water of that size can produce when the waves start breaking. Especially if I have less experienced crew.
This huge lake can be really ugly due to its depth and it's ability to spawn cells out of a perfectly blue sky a 1/2 mile away.
If we were sailing on a different body of water, I'd likely switch to hanks, but for now the furler is working well.
Once rigging changes are complete, all our controls will be in the cockpit. Sure, trim would be better with hank on, but I don't race this boat.
Trailering isn't a big issue IMO. not much hassle to raise the mast and rig, even with the CDI.

YMMV and it all boils down to how you use the boat, crew abilities, and where/how you sail.