Rodents ugh

Sep 27, 2014
Catalina 30 Naples City Docks
I have a 1982 Catalina 30 that I am refurbishing. I have definitely seen evidence of mouse excrement in the cabin and what appears to be some kind of a nest or something. I'm including a photo case anyone can figure out what it is. Has anybody dealt with this before? Does electronic sound devices work? There are small holes at the bottom of the oval compartments on either side of the cockpit I'm assuming that's how they got in. Thanks in advance.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Get a few vials of both essential oils ... of peppermint and cloves. Dab the oil in all the 'hidden spaces' and along the base of 'walls', and bilge, etc.
Mice, voles and rats (and rabbits) ABSOLUTELY HATE these 2 essential oils and will vacate ASAP when these essential oils are present ... leave a way for them to easily 'exit'.
Works in gardens, storage sheds and even 'barns', too.

If you live in an area where peppermint grows abundantly (as a pest) ... just use the crushed fresh peppermint leaves

If that doesnt work, find someone who owns a 'ferret' and who is willing to 'feed the ferret'.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I +1 the cloves.

For several years now we use them to dissuade the mice and so far with success.

Using oils is a bit more tricky (you can easily stain the fabrics). But you can buy cloves in bulk (a pound or two) and put them into old pantyhose bags or bags made of cheese cloth.

It seems to work.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Regardless of the treatment you choose, ITWMB I'd get the cushions off or somewhere the critters can't get to them, before I did anything else.

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Does anyone knows if cloves will work for red squirrels and chipmunks? I've tried peppermint without success.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
One thing that hasn't been directly mentioned here (though the gist is there). You want to repel them, not kill them. Nothing stinks up a small space like a hidden decaying dead mouse. I like the idea of Peppermint oil. It could also add to doing away with odor problems on board.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Snap!

Check the trap line daily to remove the catch.
I'd go with the cloves and peppermint idea as well just to keep any others from getting the same idea. It should make the boat smell fresh. (I may do that anyway with my Siren just to freshen it up.)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Does anyone knows if cloves will work for red squirrels and chipmunks? I've tried peppermint without success.
lace there bait with cyan pepper :eek:...when they bit in to the bate food they will jump ship doing back flips...had a bird feeder one time on a single pole...the little suckers would rob the bird seed ...when they went back for more it was hilarious watching them do back flips off the pole after dining on the seeds...the birds don't seem to mind the pepper ...i don't think they have taste buds....

Feb 23, 2011
Hunter 466 Singapore
I have a 1982 Catalina 30 that I am refurbishing. I have definitely seen evidence of mouse excrement in the cabin and what appears to be some kind of a nest or something. I'm including a photo case anyone can figure out what it is. Has anybody dealt with this before? Does electronic sound devices work? There are small holes at the bottom of the oval compartments on either side of the cockpit I'm assuming that's how they got in. Thanks in advance.
Here is Asia we can buy sticky mats in most supermarkets for this. Had a rat on once, 1 mouse on once, and 2 mice on a third . After much experimentation these mats work every time. They dont kill the mice , though I dont know how you'd get them off if you wanted to set them free. Found mice to be far worse than rats.. they go straight for the wiring.. so it is a huge priority to get them off the boat as quickly as possible. Here mice are small and rats, well they make you gulp.. they are very big.

I assume every dock has them so I've removed the dorades and have netting over every entrance at night - or its closed. I seriously doubt repellants would work in this part of the world. :) .. Have seen big ships put plastic disk on dock lines but then some nights have seen these guys jumping from the rigging from one ship to another .. so you're gunna have to be serious to keep them out.

Jan 6, 2010
RGJ,

I had this problem a few years back with rats in my belfry also. I did a simple fix & have had no rats inside since.

Rats will NOT fit thru your companion slat vents, where they get in from are the vent cowlings on your stern. These are for venting engine fumes etc. There is an open ended hose where they get in from. One hose had the exhaust fan attached, while the other was open ended.

I removed the cowlings & cut S.S. mesh to block off the transom openings. Reinstalled the cowlings on top the mesh, a little caulking & POOF, no more rats inside. If having any vents or dorados on the exterior, mesh these also.

I still have the occasional rat in the coming box so, when seeing evidence of this, I simply put rat pellet boxes in there & again.....POOF they disappear.

CR

Jun 7, 2014
Macgregor 2-24 Port Rowen
There are two products that i know of besides poison to use. One is moth balls if you can still buy them where you are, the other product is sold by John Deere dealers to keep mice out of farm equipment that i know works. So far moth balls put throughout you boat keeps the mice out.I have no mice in any of my boats during the winter since i started using them,

Feb 24, 2013
Glacier Bay Renegade2640 Slidell, la
I had the problem in my Pearson 35. Tried everything. Only rat poison ended the problem. The rats / mice died in about 4 days. Please remove and dispose of poison properly, after. It will kill pets. Do not dump overboard as it will kill fish, too.

Jan 6, 2010
Why introduce poisons and/or smelly chemicals in your boat. Is not the REAL problem, that rats have access INTO your boat? The problem is not the rat but, the MEANS of entry.

So, what then needs to be addressed first? Do you want to kill them after they get in your boat or, just keep the bastards from getting in your boat in the first place?

Pretty simple answer I would say.

CR

Nov 24, 2014
MacGregor 22' Hawesville
5gal. bucket, put a little peanut butter on rim and smear some inside on bottom. place next to salon cushion to give them access. Make sure you have a piece of cardboard to cover it after catching the said vermin, remove to the wild and dump!

Jan 6, 2010
Some of you guys just ain't gettin' it................you would rather let them inside first, REALLY?

Time I unsubscribe from this go nowhere thread.

Apr 3, 2008
Lancer 28 spencer
Don't know about rats but in the antique and classic car group (of which I am part of also) we use dryer sheets (such as Gain softness /static control .) that you would toss into the dryer to "give that cloths line freshness" to your laundry. Had field mice ruin the headliner on my 37 Chevy and was told about this fix. I store my car in a container from Nov to April and since using the sheets no mice. To me rats are squirrels without fir and I couldn't say for sure if this suggestion will work since I never had a squirrel problem in my car although lots at the feeder.
Incidentally to release a critter stuck to a "sticky trap" use vegetable oil. I have used this to release my cats but I would NOT suggest releasing the rodents as they will go out and bring back ten of their friends and the further away you release them the more friends they bring.

Jul 7, 2014
Oday 27 Croton-on-Hudson
Rat poison works

I have had this problem every fall at my home and found that trays of rat poison left where your "visitors" can get at them, but no one else can is very effective. Make sure your bilge is empty, though, as the poison makes them seek water before they die and you definitely don't want them to die in your bilge.