rigging routing puzzlement M25

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
A little off topic here but I would like a smoother way to control the cabin top jib sheet (both releasing and tightening) from the solo sailing position. You dont need the winch for the smaller sail but right now that angle of the line coming out of the cam cleat adds a lot of drag on the line. I always have to temporarily go to the downwind side of the boat to make any jib sheet adjustments.

View attachment 119406
Walt,
wouldn't something like these help for your issue?? cheep enough to try anyway.

http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=6035

Russ

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I have the same set up on my M25. The 100% jib sheet should be routed from the forward pad eye inside shrouds along the edge of the deck/cabin top (near lifeline) to the cleat on top of the cabin.
There are times when it takes me a few days to get to where I was an hour ago :banghead:. for some reason I just couldn't get it out of my head that the labels (which I now realize were placed there by a po) were indicating that the cleats on the cabin top were for halyards,... and there were no other cleats there, so the jib sheets must go somewhere else. right. sheeze…. sometimes I wonder about Russ :redface: . With both halyards cleated to the mast base it makes a lot more sense what Mac had in mind. I also see now what the po had in mind however, and it's actually a lead I prefer to follow. stumbling around on the cabin top to raise/lower sails, single handed on a windy day, isn't my idea of a good time. I also much prefer having the jib sheets down in the cockpit and not on the cabin top.
I think I'm back on the right path here now, thanks to ya'alls persistent help. :thumbup:

Thanks,
Russ

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
wouldn't something like these help for your issue?? cheep enough to try anyway.

http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=6035

Russ
I just ordered a pair from here http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?13913
X-TREME ANGLE CAM FAIRLEAD F/ 150 (EACH) 144319 375

It "looks" like you should be able to both pull the jib sheet from a fairly high angle plus release it from a fairly high angle. Might end up being real nice for single hand sailing with the smaller jib size where the cabin top cleat works well (like under 110% jib size). The red arrows show where these will go. FYI, Im in heave to or hove to in the picture.
cleat1.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
It "looks" like you should be able to both pull the jib sheet from a fairly high angle plus release it from a fairly high angle. Might end up being real nice for single hand sailing with the smaller jib size where the cabin top cleat works well (like under 110% jib size). The red arrows show where these will go. FYI, Im in heave to or hove to in the picture.
View attachment 119467
Sure you could cleat and release the sheets quickly but these cleats won't reduce the friction that you mentioned earlier.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
I received the extreme angle fairleads today and have them mostly installed. I installed just one side first so that I could compare the force to pull at an angle of about what I would be using them and thought the extreme angle fairly was a little easier to pull but the difference wasn't really significant.

However.. there was a big improvement in how easy it was to both jam and release the cleat at the high angle for the extreme angle fairlead. I think this will be very useful.

Also, while the pull is only slightly easier, the new fairlead will keep the line from wearing the ridges on the cam and wearing them out (I had to replace the cleats when I first bought the boat because the cam ridges were worn and the cam wouldn't hold the rope).

I should use these sailing soon but so far I think they should be a nice improvement for single hand running smaller jibs that use the cabin top cleats. First picture is what I had on there before, second shot is after I put the new extreme angle fairlead on.

cleat_1.JPG
cleat_2.JPG

walt

Jun 1, 2007
I used this sailing the last couple days.. I thought a significant improvement for all aspects of controlling the cabin top jib sheet from the opposite side of the cockpit. Easier to pull and easier to cleat and release. Its an inexpensive improvement for single hand cabin top jib sheeting. Good find Russ and good experience buying from this site!

edit - the link somehow isnt correct above.. this one works now http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?11571

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2017
Hunter 26 Blaine, WA
Re: Cat22 spreaders in the water - the swing keel probably retracted. Most sailors don't tighten the holding screw. IF the keel retracts, the Cat 22 can turtle.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Yikes! I would have had the cabin sealed up for that. I came close last year leaving Woods Hole - Hadley Harbor. I jibed and layed it right over. The lifeline kept my friend on board although he lost his coffee!! Windows in the water.