Rigging, Mast Raising, & a False Start

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
So I've been working on my Mast, trying to make some headway to getting water ready (for Christmas maybe? LOL)

Anyway, I've got most of the stuff done on the masthead, new spreaders done, big stuff reattached to mast like spreader brackets, etc. I want to get the rigging up so I check and mark positions of where I want my halyard exit guides (The Ronstan slot type, smooth rides, no sheave box). I have no electrical in the mast yet, will finish halyards first, wire run last.
My dyneema rigging is still not all done yet, just the forestay and backstay. So I hooked those up and the rest was my old wire rigging. New Turnbuckles are all set in place on deck, pins on standby with split rings. I am using the winch on my trailer connected to a spectra loop that goes just above the spreaders. All this work today and with an hour of sunlight left I actually didn't get much further than this;
image1.jpeg

Sep 8, 2014
So using the trailer winch going over the anchor roller worked well, but its still a two person job since the mast needs to be supported as it goes up. The cranking on the winch is easy and no gin-pole required. If I rig some bungee cords or something to help keep the mast center I might be able to do it single handed, but for today my neighbor gave me a hand.
Well, two things went wrong. We noticed the back stay was WAY too short. It was the line I had reaved in the 8:1 tackle. I don't know how I goofed that but it wasn't nearly enough. I had to take off a couple of turns and then tie the line off (not really a good, idea I know), but the mast went up pretty smooth. Second thing; I attached the port fwd lower pretty easy (maybe too easy?) but the starboard fwd lower was just way too short and wouldn't connect at all. It was obvious that I had somehow installed them in the wrong places. I had labeled them a long time ago when I took the rig down, and then put fresh labels on them last year when I was checking measurements to make my dyneema stays. Well, one way or the other I goofed the labels... I knew I shoulda double checked by measuring before I pinned them, dang it.
Well with those two things, the mast wasn't going up today and I was out of daylight!

Sep 8, 2014
So a couple things for anyone who likes this topic;

Has anyone made a center support for the mast that goes on the cabin top? I just got the Catalina Direct fwd pulpit mast support and I have an old mast-up that Capn'Don sold me a few years back. The center span needs some support... I think I'll swing by my plastics place and see if they have any scrap starboard and come up with something.
image3.jpeg

Sep 8, 2014
Another question... I did cut my mast 1 inch to get rid of damage at the bottom from corrosion. There will be another post on how I will prevent this from happening ever again and the spacer set-up I used. One thing I have not done is re-cut the angle on the aft bottom edge, I guess it is supposed to help the lean back of the mast when stepping and un-stepping. I kinda think this is no longer necessary because of the slot that is the new style mast step. Does anyone think there is another purpose for this and is it beneficial? Also, did anyone else notice that the factory cut on their mast was NOT square? Mine certainly was not but it is now. I wonder if they did that for natural rake?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
If I weren't 2,340 miles away, I'd be there for her maiden sail. You deserve an entourage!

I've never supported my mast. Nowadays I actually do the opposite, and cinch it down in the middle, using a sail tie.

Sep 8, 2014
If I weren't 2,340 miles away, I'd be there for her maiden sail. You deserve an entourage!

I've never supported my mast. Nowadays I actually do the opposite, and cinch it down in the middle, using a sail tie.
I remember bringing it home... I knew it was gonna bounce like heck so I had some rolled up towels under it. I din't have the bow pulpit mast support, so now it sits a little higher.
It'll still be awhile before I sail. Maybe I'm too OCD and I should just go sail and forget the little stuff! The interior still has the most work, but its easy stuff. No wiring has been done yet, I guess you could say thats the last big job. Only some small hardware on deck left to install like the fwd hatch, the main winch bolts, and other small stuff. I know one thing is for sure, I'm not waiting until I re-upholster all the cushions, that can wait.
She really is getting close to sail ready. Christmas isn't a stretch as as a splash goal, but my biggest problem is the tongue extension on my trailer... or complete lack of one as the case may be. I would weld one up, but the way my trailer is built its actually not easy or cost effective. I'm still trying to find a better solution.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
On the j24, I always just lashed a fender at 90 degrees to the mast and placed it where it would contact the stiffer part of the cabin hatch. Trailered many thousands of miles every year that way without a problem.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Luke, glad to see you gettin' after it! Boat and trlr look great!
Here's what I used on the haul to here from WNY...fits in mast step, with mast bolt thru it...crude but effective...u could do something similar w/pvc pipe/stbd...or weld up an elaborate one out of stainless with your skills!

mast support.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City

Has anyone made a center support for the mast that goes on the cabin top? I just got the Catalina Direct fwd pulpit mast support and I have an old mast-up that Capn'Don sold me a few years back. The center span needs some support... I think I'll swing by my plastics place and see if they have any scrap starboard and come up with something.
View attachment 142102
I made a center support out of a chunk of treated 4 x 4 and topped it with a piece of treated 2x4. Drilled a hole through the bottom of it to match the mast and use the mast bolt to hold it in place. It's even cruder than the one above but it works for me.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA

View attachment 142102
I just used some scrap 2x4's and an extra bow bumper....

Attachments

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
Excellent work. I’m interested in the winch and spectra loop set up. Do you have any additional photos of the loop connection. Does the loop permanently stay on the mast above the spreaders. How long is the loop. Thanks Richie

Sep 8, 2014
Excellent work. I’m interested in the winch and spectra loop set up. Do you have any additional photos of the loop connection. Does the loop permanently stay on the mast above the spreaders. How long is the loop. Thanks Richie
Richie I'll try to get a pic this weekend when I make my second attempt. There is nothing special about the loop or that it is spectra, you could use nylon tube webbing also. The spectra loops I had from my rock-climbing gear, I buy them at REI. It had to be about a 6 foot loop, 8 foot would be better. The winch strap does not quite reach hence the long length. You go around the mast just above the spreader brackets to prevent it from sliding down, when you unhook the winch strap you should be able to lust pull the loop off. Tube webbing is cheaper and you can make a loop by tying a water knot. Don't use flat webbing, not as strong as tube webbing. Pre-sewn loops are pretty cheap.
After watching Stingy Sailor's video again I think I will try using my mainsheet tackle next time. Since you can do it single handed from the deck I think its a better option, plus letting the mast down is safer than the trailer winch. Also, you don't need the anchor roller set up to make that method work.

Sep 8, 2014
Luke, glad to see you gettin' after it! Boat and trlr look great!
Here's what I used on the haul to here from WNY...fits in mast step, with mast bolt thru it...crude but effective...u could do something similar w/pvc pipe/stbd...or weld up an elaborate one out of stainless with your skills!

View attachment 142104
I will probably try something similar in plastic. I just got a new hole saw set so it will be easy to make a nice curve notch for the mast profile, I'll just match up the hole saw size on the CD version bow pulpit mast support. Easy to put the same 5/16 mast step bolt through it to secure. thanks for the idea!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Steve Hock designed a very simple mast raising winch that will work on any version of the C-22, simple clamp on design, and best of all, only requires one person to raise the mast. There was an article earlier this year for the MainBrace with step by step instruction and lots of photos on how to build Steve's mast winch, and I've attached some photos from the article . Steve has also posted videos on YouTube showing him raising and lowering the mast on his C-22.
Also attached is a photo of the center support for my mast that I fabricated several years ago. Nice not to have the mast bouncing while trailering or while in storage.

Don

IMG_4486.jpg

Used a metal blade on my table saw to cut out the pieces.
IMG_4496.JPG

A local welding shop welded the sides to the base
IMG_4500.JPG

Some scrape starboard protects the mast from the winch mounting bolts
IMG_4510.JPG

Counter sunk the starboard for the mounting hardware
IMG_4512.JPG

Mounted the winch to the mount
IMG_4530.jpg

Test fit of the mast winch on my mast. Simply holds on with a couple 1/4" bolts and wing nuts, no tools required to install or remove, easily stored on the boat.
IMG_4618.JPG

I use my factory baby-stays to keep the mast from moving side to side. Steve just holds onto the mast with one hand to steady the mast and cranks it up with his other hand. So simple!
CATALINA 22 MK II 700.jpg

Composite center support I fabricated for my mast

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Nothing fancy but a Home Despot piece of 4" PVC and the Dremel- I ratchet strap from bow and Stern while trailering, no bounce:

IMG_3065.JPG

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
You go around the mast just above the spreader brackets to prevent it from sliding down, when you unhook the winch strap you should be able to lust pull the loop off......After watching Stingy Sailor's video again I think I will try using my mainsheet tackle next time. Also, you don't need the anchor roller set up to make that method work.
Thanks that what I thought and I am considering Stingys method. Need the have something in place for next season.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Mine looks like @pclarksurf's, but made of ABS instead of PVC, and with a couple holes near the top and a small line to tie it to the mast. Seems to work well as far as I can tell.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 on Stingy's mast raising method on youtube w/mainsheet tackle....6 min, sngl handed, on the water???...he's got it down pat!...I don't have the skill (or cahones) to attempt that (yet)!