Rigging Line ?

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
I have a 2001 h260 and It came with a piece of rigging that I am not sure about..
a cable 30ft with eyes and a covering, 2 slides with stops on it, both slides having smaller wire mounted to them... I am thinking maybe the topping lift or sail related but unable to find any info on it in the manual (see pixs)
Cable01.jpg Cable02.jpg Cable03.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Those are components of the Dutchman sail flaking system. The ones you have are for a boat with a halyard-style topping lift. It replaces the topping lift and the monofilament lines are reeved through plastic fittings fitted around holes in the mainsail, so it can flake like a Roman shade.
http://dutchmar.com/

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
THATS IT! thanks I thought it had something to do with the topping lift ... bonus score ... I was unaware of this type of rig, something to work on this weekend.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Great. This season is my first with a Dutchman system. Reading the manual gives me a headache every time, there are so many apparent contradictions and ambiguities; and I'm an engineer, you would think I could understand it!

But, when they are set up correctly, they are great - mainsail just comes down and sits on the boom, no lazy jacks required.

Does your mainsail have the plastic guides, etc., installed?

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
I am assuming so, all though I have set it up and had it in the water I havent pulled the sails yet I only motored... (sorting engine problems) and when I put the main on I just flaked it with bungee cords and covered it ( I didnt have the topping lift on it that day. but will find out this weekend.
IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0062.JPG

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Assuming that you have the correct main to go with that - it has the little holes in-line with the dutchman lines - it will make dropping your sail a treat. You weave the small lines through the sail (then you remove them, and start again, because you started on the wrong side at the top :doh:). You must adjust the topping lift so that the small lines that connect the boom and the topping lift are exactly vertical. When you want to drop sails, tighten the topping lift and drop the halyard - and be amazed. Loosen the topping lift for sailing so you don't put strain on the sail, both for performance and equipment wear.

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
when I bought the boat I didnt get a lot of information of what was installed on it ...its like every day is an egg hunt... but this is exciting! I cant remember if there was any little holes in the sail, but I think I remember the button pouches at the bottom of it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Yes, those pouches are part of the Dutchman system. Very cool discovery! The holes in the main will be obvious, they will have large, plastic reinforcements, like this:

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Thanks @jviss - it's all coming back to me now. If / when those plastic reinforcements ever come off, the dutchman line will cut through the sail like a knife through butter! As a result, I got in the habit of (1) inspecting them every so often by wiggling them, and (2) carrying a roll of sail repair tape on-board.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks @jviss - it's all coming back to me now. If / when those plastic reinforcements ever come off, the dutchman line will cut through the sail like a knife through butter! As a result, I got in the habit of (1) inspecting them every so often by wiggling them, and (2) carrying a roll of sail repair tape on-board.
Yes! Very important to me now, as I have a quite pricey film-on-film cruising laminate suit of sails. I have purchased the special tape to repair these in the field, just in case. Will be inspecting the eyelets often.

BTW, I purchased new monofilament, 500lb. test, on Amazon.

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
good to know ... will inspect them and keep an eye on them... will let ya know how it goes

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
hey Dave I will have it in for several weeks at a time. I assume it not the fastest thing to set up.