Rig Tension Specs

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
Hey, anybody got any tension specs for the Yam 30 Tall Rig?
Want to set up for the winter sailing up here.

cheers
jcm

Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
I have the Y30 owners manual with a couple of pages on rig tuning and I'd be happy to share it with you.
-Richard

Attachments

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
Thanks Richard.
I already have a copy of the manual, what I was wondering was if anyone had specs related to using a Loos gauge.
cheers
jcm

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
I imagine your 30 instructions aren't far off from my Y25 method. I set my rig per the manual then took the loos #'s as a base line. You can compare tuning methods for the Y25 by checking out the pdf manual a few posts back .
syntonos

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I generally set my rigging at 10% of breaking strength using the Loos gauges. That tension is probably a bit light for racing; however, I use the boat primarily for coastal cruising. At 10% I am not getting any slack in the leeward shrouds and the mast seems to be quite stable.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I generally set my rigging at 10% of breaking strength using the Loos gauges. That tension is probably a bit light for racing; however, I use the boat primarily for coastal cruising. At 10% I am not getting any slack in the leeward shrouds and the mast seems to be quite stable.
That's generaly backwards. Cruisers would be tighter than average because they never adjust it. Racers are generally softer, and adjust to make it as soft as they can without having too much headstay sag.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
On the Loos website, it mentions that 12-15% is adequate for most masthead rigs. Do not surpass 25%. Goes on to state that on America Cup boats, tension is set as tight as structurally feasible. 10% is on the light end of the continuum. Also mentions that each boat needs to be tensioned according to hull design, rig specs, sails, & function. And yes, they also mention minimizing head stay sag. Would definitely agree that for offshore cruising & passage making one would require a tighter rig with the potential for greater forces generated by higher wind & greater sea heights.
Also, I would check out the Loos gauge website. There is some valuable information regarding rig tuning and also some videos on the application and proper use of the gauges.

Last edited: