Reviving old engine

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Check the oil, inspect to make sure everything is connected, fuel on, release decompression lever and hand turn the engine a few times to get oil on moving parts. Then start and see what happens. Let it run at low rpm's while looking over everything, inspect water discharge, etc.... turn off it you see a problem otherwise let her warm up. Why assume it will take a while to start? Good engines......

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The largest issue to getting it started might be compression as piston rings and valves might be sticking. Clean the injectors. After starting check for oil leaks. Check motor mounts.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Good engines......
I'm counting on this one! :)

I was in the Maritime Museum in Barcelona - they have one of these engines on display there... Not that that means anything I guess, but I thought it was pretty cool....

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So, here's a follow up. Whoever said these were good engines sure knows that they are talking about! So I had to see if a key I'd bought fits the ignition switch, it did. I had the marina pump out all the old fuel as suggested. I'm up at the boat checking to see if the key works, put it, turn to on, works, everything lights up. Great! I'm thinking, OK, I have to go buy fuel, let me see if the ignition switch works, might have to buy a switch. I'll just pop it a bit and see if the switch activates the starter, then I'll go get everything I need to start working on this engine to see what I have to do to get it running. So I just pop the switch over and it does a quick little spin of the motor - the darned thing started! Holy cow! I'm thinking I haven't even checked out the accelerator lever to see if it works yet, I hope I can stop this thing! I jump over to the accelerator lever and push it to off and sure enough the motor stops. Now that is a problem I love to have! So then I went and got everything properly set up, put 5 gallons of good fuel in it, started the engine with the water pump hose in a flat pan with water being fed into it from a hose. So the pump had to suck from the pan with no water pressure to push - heck I don't even have to change the impeller!

So here's a question - Everything I've read says these engines have a lot of vibration and noise associated with them. But I ran this engine for probably an hour, ran it up and down at a whole range of RPMs and I can't say I found anywhere that seemed to have any vibrations I'd consider even remotely undesirable. I had the front stairs off, I was watching the engine, sure didn't seem to vibrate much to me at any RPM I ran it at. I ran it up pretty high, maybe not max RPMs it can go, but I got pretty close. Does it need to be in the water to see the vibrations?

dj

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My experience with yanmar engines (3HM35f and 4JH4E) is that they are relatively quiet with minimal vibration for a boat engine. Vibration also has to do with condition of mounts and the installed location.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Since this a one cylinder motor it cannot be as inherently well balanced as a 3 or 4 cylinder - (the most smooth running is a straight 6 cyl incidentally.)

As to motor (manufacturer's) reputations for vibration - disagreeable vibrations with any motor are more likely worn shaft supports/motor mounts, shaft alignment, shaft whip, or propeller balance.

Remember there is no motor/shaft combination that will not have a pronounced disagreeable (and built in) vibration at some specific RPM.

Charles