Review/Feedback on an S2 1978 6.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
None yet None yet None yet
Hi! I'm still trying to find my first sailboat. I just visited a 1976 S2 6.8 that's in very nice shape for its age. I'm having trouble finding feedback/reviews on these boats. Can anyone provide some commentary on their boat?

By way of background, I'm looking at a range of boats, but keep coming back to trailerable boats in the 20-24' range. They seem like a good mix of size and flexibility. Given that this will be our first boat (family is currently me, my wife, and our two sons, ages 5 and 3), this seems like a good place to start.

So, with that background, how does the S2 compare to something like a 23.5 Hunter or a 22 Catalina? As I see it, the fixed keel, wider beam, and flatter profile should tend to make her fairly stable. The cabin doesn't have as much headroom, but that doesn't trouble me much.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Suggest you email Ed Ramsey http://s2sailor.110mb.com/s268.htm

Beyond that...what is your plan for the boat? A 22-26 footer really is a pain to trailer sail. Setting up the rig can take up a lot of time.

If you plan to moor her or get a slip, bigger is better, but if you have to store on site it can be a big expense. My 30 footer costs $62/ft per season for in/out storage and scraping the barnacles off her.

I had a 25 footer I stored on land for the winter. I had her stick down and up once and it wasn't any fun. Certainly wouldn't have wanted to do it every weekend with my Wife and (non-existant) children waiting...then take them for a sail and then take the mast down and trailer it home. It would be a tough time to convince a Wife that is a fun day.

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I actually already E-mailed him, but haven't heard back.

The plan is still very much "up in the air". The current thought is to keep her on the trailer but with the mast stepped, at a marina either on the Delaware River or in Lake Nockamixon, and to occasionally travel with her to the NJ shore. The lake and the river are both about an hour away, and the shore is about 2 to 2.5 hours away.

Sep 7, 2011
Hi,
I have the s2 6.8 and it is hull number 144 one of the last manufactured. I think this is a very high quality boat with a lot of room for a 22 ft. I have a dock on a lockal lake but in January I sail around Key West which requires me to trailer the boat about 1300 miles one way. We also sail on Lake Erie. I have the shoal keel and centerboard version. We made it all the way to Dry Tortugas so I think it is quite sea worthy. Next January we are sailing to Bahamas.

You can see some pictures here: www.flickr.com/marcinfs/sets

Email me if you have any other questions.

Marcin

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks for the reply Marcin, especially as your first post here! The S2 I've seen doesn't have the centerboard. I wish I had a better feel for just how the CB, or lack thereof, would change her behavior in the water. But your comments about where you sail yours are very encouraging!

Sep 7, 2011
If you need a trailer go on craigslist and look for ez loader tandem axle trailer. This is what I have. They are fairly easy to find. You might have to adjust the rollers.

I think the boat will sail fine without a centerboard. It is more of a performance feature and you will sacrifice some ability to go close to the wind. It will not change the stiffness of the boat much.

Make sure you check the deck for softness. If you see any cracks, especially by the chainplates that is a warning. The decks are balsa cored.

If you plan to sail in strong current or in the ocean you might want to go to a 9.9 hp outboard.

Marcin

Sep 6, 2011
If you need a trailer go on craigslist and look for ez loader tandem axle trailer. This is what I have. They are fairly easy to find. You might have to adjust the rollers.

I think the boat will sail fine without a centerboard. It is more of a performance feature and you will sacrifice some ability to go close to the wind. It will not change the stiffness of the boat much.

Make sure you check the deck for softness. If you see any cracks, especially by the chainplates that is a warning. The decks are balsa cored.

If you plan to sail in strong current or in the ocean you might want to go to a 9.9 hp outboard.

Marcin
Marcin may I ask why the hefty motor? I've been trying to understand this. My first boat was a Bristol 24 which weighed in loaded over twice this particular boat. I was at 7000 with people, water, outboard, fuel etc. That boat would pull hull speed at half throttle on a 8hp outboard. The boat can only go hull speed unless it's planed or surfing. Even if you are making 2 kts in a 3.5kt current you can't go any faster so I'm just a little confused. Can you help me understand? If I were buying this particular boat I'd be looking at 3-4hp max. SC

Sep 7, 2011
SC,

I guess that would depend on what you are comfortable with. All 5 s2 6.8s that sail in my area ( great lakes) have 9.9 hp engines. I agree that mine in an overkill since I have a yamaha high torque 9.9 with a 12 inch prop. These engines were designed for heavy displacement hulls and allow for great maneuverability in reverse. Yamaha 8 hp high torque weighs exactly the same as a 9.9.

My boat was equipped with an evinrude 9.9 two stroke and I did not like the noise level

I would consider a 6 hp Tohatsu but electric start and 10 amp charging is not available.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for and what engines are available.

marcin

Sep 6, 2011
SC,

I guess that would depend on what you are comfortable with. All 5 s2 6.8s that sail in my area ( great lakes) have 9.9 hp engines. I agree that mine in an overkill since I have a yamaha high torque 9.9 with a 12 inch prop. These engines were designed for heavy displacement hulls and allow for great maneuverability in reverse. Yamaha 8 hp high torque weighs exactly the same as a 9.9.

My boat was equipped with an evinrude 9.9 two stroke and I did not like the noise level

I would consider a 6 hp Tohatsu but electric start and 10 amp charging is not available.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for and what engines are available.

marcin
I agree it's all a very personal decision...your boat your decision kind of thing but that just seems silly from my perspective. My Bristol had a mid 90s 4 stroke 8hp also on the Great Lakes. Maneuverability backing up?! That would have been nice. The Bristol sat fixed in a forward position in a lazarette with a full keel. I couldn't back to save my bacon reliably. I even had one of our been sailing forever and licensed captains try to see if I was a doofus and he couldn't do it either. The new (to us) S2 is actually predictable which is amazing. SC

JimGo

Jun 30, 2011
Thanks for the discussion about HP. The 6.8 I'm considering comes with a 5 HP. It sounds like you think this should be "suffiicient", but that it might not be perfect. Is that a fair characterization? My hope is to avoid the expense of a new engine right now, though the idea of upgrading next year or 2 years from now doesn't scare me.

Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for the discussion about HP. The 6.8 I'm considering comes with a 5 HP. It sounds like you think this should be "suffiicient", but that it might not be perfect. Is that a fair characterization? My hope is to avoid the expense of a new engine right now, though the idea of upgrading next year or 2 years from now doesn't scare me.
5 hp should be plenty. If it's not then you may need to look at the prop and see that it's sufficient for your goals. I suspect it will be acceptable though. The whole thing just struck me personally with my history as a little odd. I'd prefer 5 hp over 9.9. That extra weight just makes her stern squat more. SC

Status
Not open for further replies.