Reverse cycle HVAC for my h28

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
I am researching what size in terms of btu's for my h28. I think 12-14k would do the job. I am in the Midwest and we have some summer weather that hits 100 and high humidity. If you have a 28, what size unit do you have?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don't have a 28 but in my 34, in south Louisiana, the 12,000 I have installed is barely adequate.. I suspect that a 12K BTU would be fine on a 28.. By barely adequate, I mean that in upper 90's at 75% humidity, in full sun, it will run constantly and cannot pull the temp below 78F ish.. usually that is only 4 or so hours .. as the ambient drops and the sun load drops, it is fine..

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
Cruisair 15K w/ reverse cycle and settable thermostat was great on our 30 was even w/ only one air outlet. next boat came with a marineairr 12K AC only which is barely adequate and does not have reverse cycle. what a stupid investment, another $800 would have gotten the original owner (our seller) the reverse cycle heat. dometic does the tech support on the marineairr and they have been very good as i had to rip apart and reinstall a number of the poorly-done components in the original 'yard' install --- like no drain hose from the AC compressor catch pan to the bilge, and a loose hose between compressor outlet and the only air vent.... (and we won't talk about losing the ceramic thrust washer off the raw water pump, resulting in compressor shutdown for no water...)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
On a hunter 28, as a dealer now retired, I would suggest 14 to 15 K with or without reverse cycle. 12K will cause you to kick yourself in the butt. Cruise Air along with Mermaid are two companies I would look at.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
On a hunter 28, as a dealer now retired, I would suggest 14 to 15 K with or without reverse cycle. 12K will cause you to kick yourself in the butt. Cruise Air along with Mermaid are two companies I would look at.

Cruise Air was purchased by Dometic a while ago, Dave :^))) I can't keep up either. I think it's the same quality units.
I have "old" Cruise Air units and recommend them, too.

I understand that Dometic acquired Cruise Air because they had the market share they deserved. They were into refrigeration before. Probably a win-win. (Unlike some of the other big-fish, eat weaker fish consolidations.)

I believe that they have the largest market share in boat AC for those reading this. They earned that.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
ceramic thrust washer off the raw water pump
Hi Mitch, that comment brings back memories. We stayed the night on the boat many winters ago. I kept the heat pump running to help keep the boat warm. Middle of the night the sea water pump began to make a funny noise as if it was slowing down; erratic. Later, I took it apart to determine the problem. Aside from the impeller blades coated with salt deposits, which I cleaned, one of the thrust washer/bearings was missing. Thought maybe it had just broken up and was discharged. As I was rotating the device out rolls the washer from the pump discharge port. Put it back together correctly and it ran just fine saving $250 for a new pump. That was maybe fifteen years ago and it still runs just fine. The PO must have taken it apart to clean and missed the washer/bearing in the process. Surprised it ran at all.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
12k will be fine if you pair it with cabin fans to move the air around, install at least two ducted air vents and don’t have the expectation that you are going to turn it on and get instant chill. I cool my boat (about double the interior volume of your 28) with a 12k on the Chesapeake/eastern coast (rarely use the 8k second unit), but I typically go aboard a few hours before the crew and get the system up and running.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Branched Oak Lake
https://nebraskastateparks.reservea...roundDetails.do?contractCode=NE&parkId=230034

I am researching what size in terms of btu's for my h28. I think 12-14k would do the job. I am in the Midwest and
we have some summer weather that hits 100 and high humidity. If you have a 28, what size unit do you have?

The size of the unit relates to a number of issues, aside from just the heat and humidity. You want the unit not to short cycle, you need minimum discharge area so that the coils don't freeze-up, your electrical supply needs to be robust enough to handle the load (if you turn-on the battery charger, hot water heater (e.g. after you showers or wash dishes).

If you have capacity and the temps are really in 100 degree range on that hot Nebraska night...that's a factor.

SdStef: You're only using this with shore power? If you plan to use a portable generator, you need to be aware that the real operating capacity of the units are lower than you might expect. A 2500 unit won't power 25KW, for example. It really only wants to see much less on a constant basis.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have a mermaid m16 16k btu unit in my Hunter 34 and it works well. However on really hot 90 plus humid days it lags. Remember that most boats have no insulation and heat gain in the cabin can be enormous during summer heatwaves. Hatches, ports, fixed windows, and deck color can greatly effect cabin temperature. I would consider the largest unit you can fit and be sure that your electric can handle the load. Also be sure that you have enough vents in your design to allow good air flow or you will ice up your condescener coil.

Another option that you may want to consider is a horizontal air conditioner that you can vent out of a hatch. Someone in my marina used it on an Oday 25. They put it in the v-berth and vented it out the forward hatch and if worked fine. A lot cheaper the a reverse cycle unit.

Aug 17, 2017
Hunter 30T Lake Erie
Cruisair 15K w/ reverse cycle and settable thermostat was great on our 30 was even w/ only one air outlet. next boat came with a marineairr 12K AC only which is barely adequate and does not have reverse cycle. what a stupid investment, another $800 would have gotten the original owner (our seller) the reverse cycle heat. dometic does the tech support on the marineairr and they have been very good as i had to rip apart and reinstall a number of the poorly-done components in the original 'yard' install --- like no drain hose from the AC compressor catch pan to the bilge, and a loose hose between compressor outlet and the only air vent.... (and we won't talk about losing the ceramic thrust washer off the raw water pump, resulting in compressor shutdown for no water...)
I have a hunter 30t and am trying to decide on btus and location. Where was you unit installed? What model 30 did you have?