Restoring O'day 15

Randy

Dec 19, 2008
Pearson 31 Lake Guntersville
I have been given an O'day 15, hull number 24603; class 192 and my daughter is determined for us to restore it. All we have is the hull, mast and standing rigging. The old boat is in terrible shape and probably not worth the time it will take to make it right but my daughter has some kind of attraction for it and she is the first one in the family to show any interest in sailing so I need to try. Can anyone put me on a rudder and or boom? I would be interested in a another derelict and maybe could make one good boat out of two. I am in North Alabama.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Randy -
I have been given an O'day 15, hull number 24603; class 192 and my daughter is determined for us to restore it..
After reading your post, this is sorta like music to my ears. What a blessing in disguise. There are so many other things kids will do but a little family project like this is a good one. Perhaps take it slow and easy, shop around for parts and materials without spending a lot of money on it. Try to encourage her to do the most effort but without getting burnout.

There is a family in our marina who are longtime boat owners and their daughter just went off to college, same state but about 60 miles and a few hours away. She bought a Catalina 22 project boat and because her dad has acreage they parked it by his shop to work on it. She got the hull painted red (she's a girl) and it looks really good with the white coachroof and white deck. Granted, the dad helped a lot but she did a lot of the work too. Last summer it was in the marina on the same dock as our boat and walking past it, well, it was just plain beautiful, real shipshape. I'm sure there was a lot of "bonding" going on during the restoration process.

Just finished reading "George in AK's" thread about "1976 Catalina 22 in Alaska", another restoration project which included lots of before-and-after pictures with Questions and Answers from form members. A project like this is both satisfying and a real learning experience.
Looking at the "15" pictures, it is a flush deck day sailor, more of a sport boat design. It would have been really nice to have the O'Day Daysailer with the cuddy (but hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth). The reason I say that is we still have our daysailer (different make) with a cuddy and really enjoyed it but this was many years ago. Brings back lots of memories.

Be sure to take pictures for the family photo album.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
From the Hull# and Class# listed, this must be a 1970-73 O'DAY 15, not to be confused with the later 1981-84 O'DAY 15, 2 very different boats. I don't think a Manual is commercially available for these older O 15s. I will check my collection of digital files, I might have what was supplied for a manual (covered several models). Rudy might not have much, since most of these 15s were built before he worked at O'DAY. Hopefully these pictures will help you. The tiller appears to be very similar to a 1964-81 Widgeon, at least that stainless-steel piece that holds it t the rudder. A rudder for the newer 15 might fit, but the pintles/gudgeons will most likely not line up.

Attachments