Restoring a 79 Hunter 30

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Thanks Leroy. I went home for lunch to look at it again. The dirty white sheet is indeed running up to the masthead sheave and down the mast. The original jib halyard is there but not used. That ubolt was not installed when I got the boat. I believe it is supposed to go up into the masthead with the nuts tightened down on the raise piece (ubolt loop under the masthead). I stuck in in that way and it fits. That raised area looks to me like it is designed that way since the short leg of the "L" is welded to the masthead and gives a flat surface for the ubolt nuts. That's why I think it needs to be intstalled 180 degrees. Thanks again...I am sure I will have more riggings questions since the PO never had her in the water. :)

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
Awesome Kito, glad it all came together.Flip the U bolt 180 and it will all be proper. Good luck, Mate. Leroy.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
You may check with Rig Rite. They have parts for these spars (Kenyon) and may also be able to provide some drawings.

Oct 1, 2013
I previously owned a Hunter 30 and stored all my cushions in my attic during the winter months. We no longer have the boat but we still have a complete set of newly made cushions. If you are interested, I can send your pictures and pricing. They were only one season before the boat was lost in a storm.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I previously owned a Hunter 30 and stored all my cushions in my attic during the winter months. We no longer have the boat but we still have a complete set of newly made cushions. If you are interested, I can send your pictures and pricing. They were only one season before the boat was lost in a storm.
Yes, very interested in your cushions. I have been looking around for fabric to recover those ugly, old, nasty brown/orange plaid p.o.s. Send pics and price. Depending on where you live I may just want the covers if they can zip off. Shipping would be way too much to ship the foam too.

Sep 4, 2013
Hunter 30 Toronto
Hi Kito
I'm interested how you will finish the cabin sole. my PO pulled the old flooring out and replaced it with vinyl tile. the teak and holly plywood is priced a little out of my league.

Jerrpann

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Not sure yet what I will do with the cabin sole. Right now it's just bare fiberglass painted a light cream color....never had wood on the sole. Teak and holly is out for me too. Being 6'5" I don't want to shorten my cabin height with some thick wood. I am not a big fan of vinyl either. The boats I seen with those self stick vinyl tiles made it look like a cheap camper inside. The sole is basically flat so I may cut a nice thin carpet to fit and have the edges bound at a carpet shop. I can then remove it for cleaning plus it will be thin enough not to shorten the headroom. I may look into some thin bamboo flooring too.

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
Kito, check out the products from "Plasteak". They make awesome products including flooring products for the decks and interior soles. I was at the factory last month training as a factory installer for their products. All made entirely in the good ole U.S.A.. I am currently installing it on the decks of a old Pearson 30 I am restoring for the owner. We will also do the cabin sole once the boat is in the water again. The product is super thin and very rugged. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them for you….Leroy.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks Leroy, that stuff looks like exactly what I need....except for the price. To get the running length without any seams, I am looking at close to $450. Cheaper to go with the real stuff. Not sure why it only comes in 6' width. They should offer 4' width for cabin soles to eliminate lots of waste and reduce the costs since it's easier to seam down the holly line. I will never understand why stuff made from recycled material costs more than what it's replacing :)

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
Kito, make sure you are looking at the interior flooring and not the "Decking" material. The decking is very expensive and thicker than the interior product. They can send you your floor piece in one section if you like. Many varieties and colors are available from them and they stand behind their products. It still may be a bit out of your budget.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I believe the roller fuller mystery has been solved thanks to your help. I was looking at teak and holly and it said "interior use only" and is 1/8" thick. $8 a square foot isn't that bad, it's the 6 foot width that stinks. At $48 per linear foot and at 6 foot wide adds up to extremely high cost and waste. If the stuff was even just 2 foot wide I could probably do my sole for around $200. Seaming at the holly line would not be as noticable.

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
I believe the roller fuller mystery has been solved thanks to your help. I was looking at teak and holly and it said "interior use only" and is 1/8" thick. $8 a square foot isn't that bad, it's the 6 foot width that stinks. At $48 per linear foot and at 6 foot wide adds up to extremely high cost and waste. If the stuff was even just 2 foot wide I could probably do my sole for around $200. Seaming at the holly line would not be as noticable.
I will be talking to the factory later today. I will inquire about us ordering it in 2' runs. I will keep you posted.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 30 Ithaca
Bay hunter,

I am about to close on a 1980 Hunter 30... The cushions are in rough shape on the boat I am purchasing and I am seriously considering getting all new cushions. I might be interested in yours. Do you know if your cushions will fit a 1980 H30? Can you let me know what you are asking for them and also possibly send me pictures of them? My direct email is dongreenglass@hotmail.com. BTW, I live in upstate NY. Maybe you might even be close by....

Thanks,

Don

Oct 27, 2011
Hunter 1980 Hunter 30 San Diego, Mission Bay
So how's it going? I have a 1980 H30. Just a nice little boat. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours!

Cheers.