Restoring a 79 Hunter 30

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I just googled Yanmar YSM12 an got several hits. Here is one

http://www.ship468.org/boats/Catalina30/YSM12/

Good luck on your project.
Thanks Scotty. I found the service manual online at boatinfo.com but like yours a lot better.
Btw, I found a video on Youtube that shows a ysm12 being hand started. He had it hooked to a battery for the glow plugs. May be impossible to start cold with a dead battery and a hand crank.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
The before pictures

I thought I would post some "before" pictures before I start this project. These are pics from the seller. I will post more pics when I get her home next week.

Attachments

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
You might consider looking up, in the archives, my earlier posts on the compression post and on the chainplates for the H30. The compression-post one is in my blog as well.

Nice choice of boat. I know of another one, needing a good home, here in NJ. Intrested people may contact me about it.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
i gotta comment from the p.o. pics, looks like your boat was sold originally as a tiller vessel, only reason i say that is the t-cockpit should be original wheel steer boats, im not positive about the 30 but i know the 27 was sold with a cockpit that looked like yours and it was tiller steer from the factory, many were converted to wheel steering later.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I may be wrong but I think the T cockpit came later on the 30. All the 79 30's I seen are set up like mine. It has an inspection port for the emergency tiller though. In a way I wish it was a T cockpit but they do take away from the seating area.

Mar 6, 2012
less seating area maybe but u can put a bigger wheel in there and still get around it easy, i personally like the t shape cuz i move around a bunch, sitting windward or leeward, i especially fell in love with my 33 and its non existent coaming at the back of the cockpit that effectively gives me the whole stern to move around on so i can see the sail plan and around it too.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Rufus, The 79's were wheeled with a straight cockpit. The 80's had the T shape.

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
Forgive my question about roller furlers but this boat I am buying has one and I never had one on my catalina 22 and don't know beans about them. I never got to see the actual furler since it was stored in his Dad's house and wasn't on the boat. The owner doesn't know anything about it either. I rolled out the genoa and it has what seems to be a large cable sewn into the luff with grommets on the top and bottom. I guess my question is, what am I looking for when I check out the furler this weekend?......just a drum that attaches to genoa's tack?. Does the head attach to the jib halyard?. I thought the genoa rolled up on something other than itself. I ask since the previous owner says he only has a drum.
You have a "Schaffer" luff style roller furler. it has its own drum that attaches to the tack and the sail is hoisted in the rolled up position just aft of the head stay.It will also have a "Top swivel" with two metal elongated hoops that attach to the head stay. They do work but it is mandatory that you have a lot of halyard tension or it will not roll well. It will also "Sag" quite a bit going to weather but they do work and are very simple.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
You have a "Schaffer" luff style roller furler. it has its own drum that attaches to the tack and the sail is hoisted in the rolled up position just aft of the head stay.It will also have a "Top swivel" with two metal elongated hoops that attach to the head stay. They do work but it is mandatory that you have a lot of halyard tension or it will not roll well. It will also "Sag" quite a bit going to weather but they do work and are very simple.
My top swivel has the elongated hoops but also has a block attached at the top. I am kind of confused what this block and line is for. Does it not use the jib halyard?

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
My top swivel has the elongated hoops but also has a block attached at the top. I am kind of confused what this block and line is for. Does it not use the jib halyard?
The halyard should hook up directly to the top of the swivel. I have never seen a block on the top of a swivel. I wonder if the block and line are for the Roller furling part of the unit. There will be a Drum on the bottom with line wrapped around it.....if there is no line maybe the mystery line is for the rolling up of the sail and possibly the block is to lead the line off of the drum to a proper angle on the bow section of the toe rail.
the other outside possibility is that possibly the halyard comes from the top of the mast then goes through the block on the top of the swivel then goes back up to the masthead where it dead ends. This is not very likely but possible as it would allow for better halyard tension and less sag in the sail. If they did use this method th Halyard will be 3 times the mast length.
I suspect someone tied a line a block where they don't belong. I hope this helps. If not please post a picture and maybe I can decipher a little more of the mystery for you. Leroy P.W.T. Rigging.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I will take a picture of it and post it here. The block on the swivel was not added and seems to be design that way. The line going through the block is fairly long. That line also has about an 8" length of wire cable attached to one end of the line and has a U bolt that matches 2 holes on top of the masthead. Also, the PO has a Schaefer drum connector attached to the most forward hole at the bow. Looks to me he may have used his furler as the forestay. I can't see having the forestay aft of the furler plus that 8" length cable that attached to the masthead looks to be about 3/32" diameter.........not large enough to be using for a forestay.

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
Shaffer RF

Pics will help me greatly understand what we are talking about. It is possible he did remove the fore stay but at that point the halyard is holding the mast up. I think that is extremely unsafe and doubt he removed his fore stay. 98% of the time the sail and furling unit are mounted just aft of the head stay tack , usually it is shackled where the jib attaches to the bow area when not using the furler. I will await the pics. Leroy.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Pictures are attached. One is of the swivel and shows the short wire and u bolt. The other is of the bow connection. I hope you can make sense of this. Thank you.

I think I got the u-bolt in wrong. I think it goes in facing down.

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Anyone have an idea of how my headsail is rigged with the block/swivel shown in the picture?

Mar 6, 2012
I know Leroy is out of town...Ill make sure he knows you are still waiting when he gets back

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
Hey Kito, Now that I see it I understand what is there. there is a wire attached to the top of the mast that works as a bridle for that shackle that is just below the forestay "Clip",,,, the halyard shackle is the one I am talking about. It is indeed a two to one halyard system to get better luff tension on the sail. Untangle the halyard , pull the top swivel away from the masthead the length of the fore stay. then step the mast. Put the paper clip looking thing around the fore stay making sure it is not upside down and the halyard in not crossed or wrapped on itself and is running free. Now look at the bottom of the top swivel and you will see a clevis pin...that is where you attach the head of the sail.
The other picture is a standard set up. The fore stay must still have the turn buckle body that attaches to the threaded stud on the very bow of the boat. If your R.F. unit is encasing the stay then attach the turn buckle to the threaded stud and turn away at it. counter clock wise will tighten it. If the fore stay is out side of the drum/unit then you need to find a point aft of the head stay that you can attach it to. A pic from above would help but there should be a few holes fore and aft behind the stem plate fore stay hole. let me know if you need more help on this one. Leroy.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Hi Leroy...thanks for your help. Just so I get this straight, the clevis pin on the bottom of the swivel is connected to the headsail. The dirty white sheet is connected to the U-bolt on top (is that u-bolt installed correctly?) and runs through the swivel block. Is this line suppose to run back up to the masthead block and down the mast internally?. Is the original jib halyard that is already ran internally up the mast still used somehow?. Thanks again Leroy

Nov 1, 2013
Hunter 30 Pensacola Fl
Kito…. you have it correct. the dirty white line will be the halyard. The sail does indeed attach to the clevis that will be at the bottom of head swivel. Every thing looks like it is properly hooked up at this point but I do not like what I see with the mast head "Cap", it appears to be lifting up at the fore side of the mast head. I would do away with the wire and attach the dirty white halyard shackle to the pin going through the fore pare of the mast head "I see the cotter pin in it on the pic". If the shackle won't fit attach it with a horseshoe shaped shackle. If the boat has other halyards it will be mainsail and spare jib halyard. I would not hook anything to that "U bolt on top of the mast as it will lead poorly to any direction except straight up. The dirty white halyard may need to be run internally if the mast is rigged for it…cut outs and winches or blocks at the base to lead it aft …etc.
I hope this helps. Feel free to keep asking questions. Leroy.