Restoration of 1981 C-22 swing keel #10580

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I finally finished installing the rub-rail insert around the starboard side. It was a nice warm day so no heat gun was needed. Glad that is finally over with! Trying to get the rest of the 'holes' buttoned up on deck so I can power-wash the decks down. All of the new chain-plate eye bolts are installed and bedded. Last big thing to get closed up is the whole companion way with new starboard crib-boards and all that. I also need to bed the inboard genoa tracks because there are about 20 holes for that.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
What an amazing boat that is going to be. I'm gonna have to stop busting your chops about the teak, too. That's a really sleek, modern look you've got going on.

Still in awe of the windows. I'll be copying them on the Vega. :)

Sep 8, 2014
Not that it's an earth shattering visual, but here is the pic of the rub-rail finally done down the starboard side; I couldn't post it earlier because photo bucket is blocked at work, lol.

Sep 8, 2014
State of the Restoration: I was contemplating this question the other day as I was finishing up the rub rail insert; At what point do I call the 'restoration' portion complete? It seems like I've got all the major pain in the butt stuff done (anything involving sanding, grinding, epoxy, or paint). Now I am at the point where I am (slowly) bedding and bolting things back on the decks and interior.
Well, I won't get too far ahead of myself but in the near future I believe I can call the 'restoration' complete and the remaining work is simply the 'Refit'. My general thoughts right now are complete the NAV light wiring in the Bow pulpit and Stern Rail; this requires drilling holes, pulling the wires, TIG welding the holes closed, and re-polishing the heated areas (this will be a be a bee-otch). Before I do that I will probably need to first complete the install of the new plastic woodwork so the crib-boards can go back on. From there I will be as watertight as she is going to get, and I expect the rain to start anytime soon. With those two steps in the bag I think I can call the restoration phase done and proceed with bolting down the remaining hardware which will be re-fit mode. Wishful thinking?

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
It rains in Southern California?? Gorgeous restoration. But not complete until the sub woofer is installed. ;)

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Dude-- you are so done! Get that thing in the water and start playing-- which of course will instantly cause you to start tweaking everything

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
You have gone both above AND beyond!!! And done it beautifully. Only trouble is you don't have a Catalina anymore it's now an official CD-22!

Well done/ doing!!

Geoff

Sep 8, 2014
Just when I thought I was hitting the home stretch; I got the companionway threshold installed and bedded with 3M 4000 UV. Complicated little bugger to cut, and since a C22 is like a house, nothing is really square.
The next thing is the companion way trim (thats what CD calls them), so the crib boards can go in. The goal is to get everything closed up before I leave for South Africa on Nov. 2nd.
Anyway, the threshold plastic requires a double compound mitre saw (which I have) to cut the bevel at the bottom so it meets flush with the threshold. I got out my angle finder and set up the saw... I got it mostly right on the first cut. I had to do a slight adjustment and then it matched up perfect on the second cut but I ended up a bit shy on overall height. I wasn't too concerned about that, but where I really screwed up was cutting the other side. I switched over all the saw's settings to the opposite side, that was a mistake. So when I corrected that cut I was way, way too short... Well, there goes $60 and I have to wait for a new set from CD. Hopefully they are in stock, when I ordered these parts some came right away and others had to be made and took about 3 weeks!

A bevel is also required on the lower edge of the bottom crib board so it sits flush with the threshold. This took several attempts to get the angle correct, but it ended up around 34 degrees. This cut is critical, because if you take too much off then the top crib board won't sit flush with the sliding hatch and you'd have a gap. By sheer luck everything landed in the right place. The pic shows the trim board clamped into place with the first and second crib boards, I can't show the top word in place because the clamps are it the way. I also included the original teak piece on the port side (epoxy coated) for comparison as to how tall they should be.

Sep 8, 2014
So here is one of those 'face palm' moments... When I got out the original teak for the above pic it dawned on me that if I had used the original pieces to set up the saw I probably wouldn't have screwed up the cuts!
In case anyone way wondering, those fancy cockpit drain covers are stainless steel, plasma cut from patterns on @StingySailor's website. Also, the entire cockpit is glossy white painted, but there will be non-skid going on the cockpit sole and the seats... That's a project I'm working on for later.

Sep 30, 2013
So here is one of those 'face palm' moments... When I got out the original teak for the above pic it dawned on me that if I had used the original pieces to set up the saw I probably wouldn't have screwed up the cuts!

You're slipping, old man!

Sep 8, 2014
I got the new parts I needed from CD today then got these installed just as the rain started to come down. Nothing is bedded, just screws on the side rails. The weatherboard is just sitting in place, no screws or handle yet. If the weather stays nice over the weekend I should have time to bed these parts and get everything buttoned up.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
A bevel is also required on the lower edge of the bottom crib board so it sits flush with the threshold. This took several attempts to get the angle correct, but it ended up around 34 degrees. This cut is critical, because if you take too much off then the top crib board won't sit flush with the sliding hatch and you'd have a gap. By sheer luck everything landed in the right place. The pic shows the trim board clamped into place with the first and second crib boards, I can't show the top word in place because the clamps are it the way. I also included the original teak piece on the port side (epoxy coated) for comparison as to how tall they should be.
Instead of a bevel, I did mine with overlapping rabbet cuts where the upper board overlaps the lower board preventing leaks. This cut was easier to measure, and doesn't wedge the boards together in place making them easier to remove.
2014-09-28 09.40.48.jpg

Wish I had redone in teak though the PVC board works, but is not as pretty
2014-09-28 14.24.51.jpg

Sep 8, 2014
PLEASE tell me you're going to go sailing soon...... ;^)
With my Grad School schedule, not in this boat... but I have been renting a Capri 22 from my club. Just went this past Saturday, wind was weak and I might have gotten a blistering 4.5 knots in a puff but it was still a nice day.

Sep 8, 2014
@pateco , the boards come with a half round bead and cove between boards, its just the bottom edge of the bottom board that needs the angle cut to mate with the slight downward slope of the threshold.

Sep 8, 2014
Crap... My thread was pushed back all the way to page 3! I guess I'll have to fix that... So I have been away from boat work for almost a month, I spent 4 days in Switzerland and then another 2 weeks in South Africa. Now that I'm over the jet lag and the cold I caught just on the way home I am getting back to boat related projects. Here is a quick on I managed to pull off this weekend;
Copied from another thread I started about the winch used in this picture:
Finally put the subject bronze winch into service; Pictured below is my "Rigger's Bench" or "Belay Bench" (haven't decided what name I like better... Anyway, I needed a place to do my splicing and rope work so I found this butcher block countertop on CL, but you can also buy them new from LumberLiquidators for around $150. I added some adjustable length chrome legs I got from Ikea that screw on the bottom... I have a bunch of steel uni-strut that I was going to use to build a much more robust and bomb-proof frame but I have too many projects going on at once. These legs are a good temporary solution and I need to get my rigging done for the boat.
Some features;
- The winch is used to for a number of rigging tasks where heavy pulling is required, like setting a spliced eye. Also, I'll be using it to pre-stretch dyneema standing rigging with a load cell to measure tension. The line on the winch is a 15 ft length of 3/8 Amsteel 2 with a dyneema chafe cover to do the work.
- The orange blocks you see at each end of the table are rock-climbing rescue pulleys rated for 20 KN each. When I have long lines to pull I can string up to about 50 ft through these and tension with the winch. I will make a set of Belay Pins from 1/2" stainless round bar with hardwood handles epoxied onto them. A series of 1/2" holes will be drilled at the ends of the table allowing me to drop in a belay pin where ever I need to set a pulley or just need a hard attachment point. I can pretty much drill a 1/2" hole anywhere on the table where I want to be able to set a Belay Pin.
- the butcher block knife holder I got off Amazon and filled most of the slots with epoxy. I left the bottom two small knife slots for ceramic knives and the scissors slot for my kevlar shears. In the filled slots I drill the appropriate sized holes for my splicing fids. I've only done the small sizes, still need to drill the top row for the big sizes.
- The clamp on swing-arm lamp is temporary, robbed from my computer desk... I'm on the hunt for the same type lamp that has the big magnifying glass in it.

Sep 30, 2013
Next time you bring a new girlfriend over, I'd take her straight to that bench and make her guess what it was for. :)

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Ha ha ha ha Gene still has the funniest one liners on the forum.... Seriously cloud you never cease to amaze. Following your post is like reading a tech manual on boat building. thanks for the education...

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yes I think you need some padded cuff links for the work table, and a cup holder.