Rescue or salvage 1986 MAC 25 ?

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
I have a 1986 Macgregor 25 that I can't decide what to do with. I bought boats for parts and now have a 1972 Venture 21, 1980 Macgregor 22, a 1983Macgregor 25 all refurbished and ended up with this 86 MAC 25 with no trailer or outboard and it needs a rudder, fore sail, some of the standing rigging and new running rigging. Evidently the mast fell over at some time and it needs beefed up at the mast plate. I removed the keel and it is in great shape, just needs some TLC. I think its probably worth more as parts than fixing this one up especially since I already have more boats than I need but I hate to see a Sailboat go to the scrap yard.
I guess my question is " at what point does a person decide to save a boat or destroy it?" Any thoughts out there??

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
Donation

Have you thought about donating it to some organization?

NOT Goodwill, Habitate, and organizations like these.

But like a youth group, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc. Or a sailing club.

They would have no money invested in the hull and any expenses would be the fittings themselves. Being a non profit organization may get the needed fixtures donated.

School or similar organization that has a boat building course, shop course, etc.

It should be destroy with the same consideration as the destruction of an old well liked book.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it no longer has any value as a sailboat... whatsoever.

just to replace the necessary parts for it to be used, from a used market, will cost much more than you can buy a complete ready-to-sail hull for.

it is a shame that a boat has to retire, but sometimes thats just the way it is.

it may be a possibility for it to be used as a cruising motor vessel, but as a sailboat, anyone would be a fool to put the money in it to bring it back...

advertise it as a free boat hull, mentioning the options of it being used as motor cruiser, and see what kind of hits you get... it may save you some disposal fees:D....

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Ranger_12, how much did the boat set you back, if I may ask?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Call around to different seafood restaurants. Maybe they will buy it for a landscape ornament. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well.... once you bought a boat for parts, took everything of value off her that you wanted, why would you think there was any worth left to someone else?

Any remote chance that boat had to sail again went away when you bought it for parts. You probably knew that when you bought her.

But like centerline says, this happens all the time and there is no shame; all boats have a useful lifespan and this one is at hers. At that point they are worth more as parts. List it for free, or quietly tow her to the dump.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I have a friend who salvages sailboats for a living. He took one of the boats I think it was a 30' Catalina and made a club house for his kids. After stopping and gutting cuts them up with a seawall and hauls them to the dump. On YouTube there is a video of one being crushed and compacted, makes for good entertainment.

I have another friend who put his on a foundation and uses it for an office at home.

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
Well.... once you bought a boat for parts, took everything of value off her that you wanted, why would you think there was any worth left to someone else?

Any remote chance that boat had to sail again went away when you bought it for parts. You probably knew that when you bought her.

But like centerline says, this happens all the time and there is no shame; all boats have a useful lifespan and this one is at hers. At that point they are worth more as parts. List it for free, or quietly tow her to the dump.
If you will read my post I never said anything about selling it to anyone else, however it does have a mast, boom, mainsail, poptop, hatch cover keel , bow pulpit, stern rail, 2 winches, keel and most of the standing rigging so it does have value as parts and you are right the hull is probably worthless unless I put some time and money into it and could buy a boat ready to go cheaper.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you will read my post I never said anything about selling it to anyone else, however it does have a mast, boom, mainsail, poptop, hatch cover keel , bow pulpit, stern rail, 2 winches, keel and most of the standing rigging so it does have value as parts and you are right the hull is probably worthless unless I put some time and money into it and could buy a boat ready to go cheaper.
I did read your post. Please read mine again. I never said or implied that you would try and SELL it. But you did say rescue. That says to me you're thinking that someone might want to put it back together and sail it. But I'm 100% sure that someone could buy a complete boat for less that buying the parts you took off it it a la carte. Which is exactly why you did it in the first place, right?

I'm not questioning at all what you did. Like I said, its the best fate for a LOT of boats out there now.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I may be interested in your swing keel. Let me know if you part it out...

Jeff (in California)

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I did read your post. Please read mine again. I never said or implied that you would try and SELL it. But you did say rescue. That says to me you're thinking that someone might want to put it back together and sail it. But I'm 100% sure that someone could buy a complete boat for less that buying the parts you took off it it a la carte. Which is exactly why you did it in the first place, right?

I'm not questioning at all what you did. Like I said, its the best fate for a LOT of boats out there now.
I agree with Jackdaw. the title of the post is rescue or salvage, with a question mark... meaning you want our opinion.
I think its unanimous, salvage is the best option.