Request for Help on Lubricating the Binnacle Delrin Bearings

Jul 6, 2018
Beneteau First 375 Halifax
I own a 1986 - B 375 and the wheel is squeaking badly, I have greased the Chaing and Sproket Drive and adjusted the Cables on the Quadrant, all is working great except the Delrin bearings appear to be dried out and in need of Lubrication. I went to YouTube and found others have a hole in each one at the top where you can put 3/1 Oil however there are no holes where I can oil mine. My thoughts are to drill a hole in each one and then oil it but wanted to check here to see if anyone else had this problem.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@lcorkum I see you are a recent addition to our group of sailors. Welcome.
I have always used water and soap to address the issue of Delrin Bearing maintenance. This has served me well.
But perhaps a more scientific approach is warranted/desired.
Here is what is reported by Dupont... http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/design/DELDGe.pdf
Self-lubricated : Maintenance and service costs can be reduced. The inherent lubricity of DELRIN® acetal resins can eliminate the lubrication required with metals or other plastic materials, and the need for lubrication during use. Increased part life results because of the good wear life of DELRIN® . Reduced driving power requirements result from low friction characteristics. Contamination by lubricants can be eliminated. Self-lubricating bearings of DELRIN® can be especially useful where cross-contamination of products must be eliminated (food, conveyors, pharmaceutical, and textile equipment).​

My guess is you could have a contaminant dirt or grit or seashells in among your bearings. Water and soap may help to dislodge the offending intruders.

Jul 6, 2018
@lcorkum I see you are a recent addition to our group of sailors. Welcome.
I have always used water and soap to address the issue of Delrin Bearing maintenance. This has served me well.
But perhaps a more scientific approach is warranted/desired.
Here is what is reported by Dupont... http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/design/DELDGe.pdf
Self-lubricated : Maintenance and service costs can be reduced. The inherent lubricity of DELRIN® acetal resins can eliminate the lubrication required with metals or other plastic materials, and the need for lubrication during use. Increased part life results because of the good wear life of DELRIN® . Reduced driving power requirements result from low friction characteristics. Contamination by lubricants can be eliminated. Self-lubricating bearings of DELRIN® can be especially useful where cross-contamination of products must be eliminated (food, conveyors, pharmaceutical, and textile equipment).​

My guess is you could have a contaminant dirt or grit or seashells in among your bearings. Water and soap may help to dislodge the offending intruders.

John,

Thanks for your help and research link on Delrin. that is very interesting. I did drill 2 holes and applied a small amount of oil to see if there was any difference and there was none so it looks like I will have to dismantle the wheel housing and see if the bearings can be replaced or I discover an easy solution once disassembled. Appreciate your help! Happy Sailing!
Lloyd

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Lloyd. Before the dissection of your quadrant, I would take a water hose with a focused stream of water and a bottle of dish soap. Squirt the soap in and around the bearings. Let it get into the bearing race. Then take your water and spray out the soap and accumulated debris (perhaps even some tailings from your drill holes).
If no joy then you may need to replace the bearings.

We did this on a stubborn furler that had become unusable. It worked so well, the boat owner complained. He was hoping to buy a new furler.

Jul 6, 2018
Thanks John,

Appreciate your recommendations and I will give them a try.

Cheers
Lloyd