Repowering 28' ODay

Jun 26, 2015
O Day 28 Dana Point
Thank you so much for the information on the Campbell 3 blade prop! I will look into it!

As far as the Beta's I did look into them, but the prices are very similar, and the mechanics I talked to said that the Yanmar is a better engine. I don't know if that is true, but I do know that around Dana Point the parts are very easy to obtain, and the mechanics are very comfortable with them, so that's why I decided to go with the Yanmar.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'm kinda surprised that the Beta isn't significantly less expensive. That's quite interesting.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While our local mechanics do not 'hate' the Yanmar, they like the Betamarine diesels a whole lot more.
Parts for the Kubota-based Betamarine are less expensive too.
You should d/l the engine measurement spec's for all engines you are considering and see which ones best match the existing engine beds and also carefully check the distance from the mounts to the output flange. Check the height of the proposed new engine and see if your engine compartment has room.
(We are going thru this measurement process now, and considering a Betamarine 25 hp to to replace our aging Universal 23 hp.)

Cannot quote numbers, but around here the Betamarina engine is less expensive. A new Beta 25 will cost me about 9K, give or take.
Best of luck to you.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think it is a myth that Beta is universally less expensive than Yanmar. I've yet to find anyplace that advertises the price for either one of them, so I think it is necessary to approach distributors for both and get a quote in order to know the true price. Perhaps it varies by region. I priced both when I re-powered. Granted, I had quotes from a few distributors (all identical price) in New Jersey for Yanmar in hand when I went to the Newport boat show in 2012 and asked for a price at the Beta booth, so maybe it wasn't a fair comparison. Beta was more expensive based on the price sheet they had in Newport. I was leaning toward Yanmar simply because I thought it would be a simpler conversion from the 1GM that I had. I priced the Beta at the boat show simply because I thought I owed it to myself to make sure I wasn't unnecessarily spending more money since I heard that Beta is "far" less expensive.
As for parts, well, after 5 years ownership of a new engine, I haven't spent any money on parts, other than two water pump impellers (one spare) and filters. These are expenses that are so trivial, I don't bother to monitor. I'm not sure why the cost of parts would influence a decision for a new engine. I'd bet there isn't that much difference.

All that said, Beta Marine seems to have a very solid reputation, at least among the population in this forum, and that's saying a lot. I will also note that there seems to be a greater choice of power plant options with Beta. In 2 cylinder, you have the 14 and 16 HP models. In 3 cylinder there is the 20 and 25 HP. You really do need to verify the dimensions of the models that interest you and make sure it fits both in the compartment and on the mounting rails. Modifications in this regard will really add up to complications and cost. I looked briefly at current dimensions of Beta (because I am still curious!), and they seem to mimic pretty closely the dimensions of Yanmar engines, so there may not be a clear cut difference between the 2 manufacturers.

Whichever you decide, best of luck! I don't think you will ever regret your decision to re-power, especially when you are miles off shore. You may own a sailboat and you are supposed to be a competent sailor, but I am like you in that I would feel FAR less secure if I had an engine that I didn't consider to be dependable or helpful in difficult conditions.

Last edited:
May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
My 83 Oday 28 was re powered 1 year before I bought her (2011) with a Beta Marine 20 HP 3 cyl and it does great. the PO researched and found that this engine was the best form fit and function replacement....

Jun 26, 2015
O Day 28 Dana Point
That is a better price! I don't have my estimates from Beta with me here at work but I remember that with the 15% discount the 20 was a little less money, but not much.
My mechanic has measured and re measured the existing engine and compartment and is sure that it will fit with very little adjustment. He has it all on paper for me.
I had a Universal Atomic diesel and we could use most Kabota parts which was fairly inexpensive. Yanmar parts are very easy to get near my boat. Yet with a brand new , fresh water cooled engine I am really hoping to not be buying engine parts in the near future.
I appreciate your help and information!

Jun 26, 2015
O Day 28 Dana Point
Roland5048...you made me laugh! Thanks! Yes I am kind of different in that I can't get enough time on my boat! This is my 3rd ODay in the last 15 + yrs. I loved by 25 ' and thought I'd never sell her and then I bought the 28' and absolutely love it! It also has a little more room for grandkids!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
You know, I'd have to admit that the Beta red machine is a lot more attractive in my eyes than the Yanmar gray!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You Beta guys don’t know what your missing. Try the Perkins baby blue. Like my eyes.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have a A4 - got sick of the bizzare goldish color - it's chevy red now.

I think whatever is in the OP's price range is good - a working engine is far better than a non-working one.

Feb 4, 2007
- - Somerset,
I am in the process of repowering my 84 Oday 28. Bought it from the original owner when the engine had water in the oil. Thought about rebuilding it till the owner told me he believed the engine had about 5000 hours on it. Motor is a Universal M212. I am going to drop in an exact replacement, same model. Found a used engine with 500 hours, $2500. Hired boat yard crane to pick up old motor and drop new one in. Doing all the connections myself. I am figuring about $3000 total cost. Fingers crossed!

Jul 5, 2017
O’day 28 Gainesville GA
I am also curious about putting a diesel back in my 28. The original is long gone and am using a 10hp outboard. I do have a nice bamk of batteries where the old engine used to be. More info on the Beta or some engine around 15hp would be nice..

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Being in the middle of an engine replacement, I always find it a tad odd how perspective alters depending on how one spends $ on their sailboat.
I was just pricing a new top-quality dodger and bimini @ approx 7K.
I know that a new current-technology main and jib would cost about 6K to 7K.

Spending 9K on our new Beta is serious money, but really only slightly more than other "major" upgrades.
It's interesting how discussions of major new cockpit canvas or sails elicits only a slight raise of eyebrow, but when an owner mentions a new engine the audience considers it much more gravely with intake of breath. :)
Nothing wrong with the story or the reaction, but still, dollars are dollars, and all hobbies have short and long term costs.

Perhaps it also depends on how long one plans to keep their boat. A 28 footer, no matter how adequate when bought, is often a 'transition' vessel because of the compromises involved in vacationing aboard for weeks at a time, and also suffering less speed and comfort in rough weather.
So spending big dollars to upgrade a larger boat may pencil out better when amortizing over 10 or 20 years. Maybe.

I do not have many answers, but do find the questions interesting! :)

So, if the OP keeps his/her 28 footer for a decade, these expenditures will amortize out in sailing and cruising enjoyment, which is the most important thing, really.

For the poster wanting Betamarine info, just dime 'em up. The distributor in in North Carolina. http://www.betamarinenc.com .

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
FWIW I recently repowered my Mariner 28 with a Beta 14. The M 28 and the O 28 are very similar in length, beam and weight. While Beta is "usually" less expensive the Yanmar, a lot depends on the local dealer and sales incentives. "boat show" prices can reduce costs by thousands. In general (very general) the Beta is a bit smaller and a bit higher reving than a yanmar. Many O 28s originally were fitted with the 2GM20 (18 HP) so I am confused about the reluctance. I have a Campbell sailor, which is not "dialed" in yet. I would think 20 HP is perfect, 25 if you plan on running a high output alternator. I found a lightly used B 14 used, or I would have gone for the 20. That being said, the 14 seems to have plenty of power for what I need. It was a DIY installation, and while I have some mechanical experience, not that much boat diesel. In any case, it was not a bad experience at all. I absolutely love the new power. the biggest "problem" was in starting the Beta for the first time. My old YSM 12 had a key switch and a start button. The Beta has a key start and a STOP button. The first few times I'd turn the key on, push the button and be very confused when nothing happened. i'd be happy to answer any questions.

Lou

Jul 5, 2017
O’day 28 Gainesville GA
FWIW I recently repowered my Mariner 28 with a Beta 14. The M 28 and the O 28 are very similar in length, beam and weight. While Beta is "usually" less expensive the Yanmar, a lot depends on the local dealer and sales incentives. "boat show" prices can reduce costs by thousands. In general (very general) the Beta is a bit smaller and a bit higher reving than a yanmar. Many O 28s originally were fitted with the 2GM20 (18 HP) so I am confused about the reluctance. I have a Campbell sailor, which is not "dialed" in yet. I would think 20 HP is perfect, 25 if you plan on running a high output alternator. I found a lightly used B 14 used, or I would have gone for the 20. That being said, the 14 seems to have plenty of power for what I need. It was a DIY installation, and while I have some mechanical experience, not that much boat diesel. In any case, it was not a bad experience at all. I absolutely love the new power. the biggest "problem" was in starting the Beta for the first time. My old YSM 12 had a key switch and a start button. The Beta has a key start and a STOP button. The first few times I'd turn the key on, push the button and be very confused when nothing happened. i'd be happy to answer any questions.

Lou
Thanks Lou, I hope to get her on the hard this fall and assess my options.