RePort from Da Port

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We get some interesting vessels stopping in here in Greenport. It's usually worth a walk to the docks to see what's in town. Here's one that's been here for a week or so: I like that wind/wave shield. I'm not sure of the double door flat mid-section but ...

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wow.. reckon that is a load cell in the chainplate/bracket pin so he can read rig loads? Looks like it.
Strange looking rig with running backstay kinda looking things that have no visible way to tension them.. internal hydraulics maybe? or maybe always tensioned by headstay? Hulls look to be made of aluminum..??
http://www.nigelirens.com/boats/sail-boats/allegra-apc78/

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I noticed that wire coming out there too. I assume to monitor rig tension. I don't know how they adjust same or even how the line got there. Maybe load is applied via the other end. I don't know. That's why I took a shot of that.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Nice. Too bad multis are so expensive to moor or I suspect there would be more of them. Having said that if you can afford boats like that, I guess moorage may be small potatoes. Auckland New Zealand seems to have lots of those high dollar boats.

Ken

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This just in from hailing from London.
I'd call that dolphin striker and dolphin killer. There are two nice dinks on the deck. And if you like to varnish this is the crew job for you. The web site, (Search ADIX Sailing Yacht) says she's 213 feet three masted schooner. I thought anything with three mast is defined as a ship but who am I to question. You can charter her for $224,000 a week. Maybe Tiger should have done that for the open.

Attachments

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
This just in from hailing from London.
I'd call that dolphin striker and dolphin killer. There are two nice dinks on the deck. And if you like to varnish this is the crew job for you. The web site, (Search ADIX Sailing Yacht) says she's 213 feet three masted schooner. I thought anything with three mast is defined as a ship but who am I to question. You can charter her for $224,000 a week. Maybe Tiger should have done that for the open.
She sure is pretty.
I think the designation "ship" in the narrow sense is a three-or-more masted square rigger. If I'm not mistaken, schooner-rigged vessels are generally called schooners no matter the size.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Here is the new show in town. I guess this has been all over the East Coast by now but this is it's first stop in Greenport. They are doing a good job with the displays on shore. They have tents, videos, info re voyages etc. Much better than the typical "Tall Mast" visit. I think they have a shore crew.
The details of the ship are of interest. It is pretty big - 115 feet. And it is decked so calling it an open boat is a bit of an exaggeration. There also is a deck "Tent" which is not that big but still offers shelter. Webb Chiles might scoff at their idea of an open boat. The mast and "Boom" timbers are massive. And as you can see from the head on shot it is a beamy vessel with a lot of bouancy. Given that I am safe from any invitation to cross an ocean on it, I think I wouldn't be afraid the vessel isn't up to it.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks for sharing! I've seen some awesome sailing vessels this year, I really should take pics and share them as you have.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So it's Maritime Festival weekend here. It's a good time to get out of dodge. But I had to work so I did walk around Friday night and found this little gem from the Cheesy. I have some other eye candy but it hasn't come thru iCloud yet.
But on my way to meet a friend for a sail, I spied this ugliness in Brewer's yacht yard. Word is the boat hit a rock off Plum Island when it's auto pilot malfunctioned - maybe due to a line caught in the prop? Not many (Lobster?) pods in that area due to current and rocks but you never know. Anyway you can almost follow the layup schedule from this gash.

Attachments