Replacing the interior Vinyl hull liner in a 90's Oceanis

Sep 4, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 440 Huntington
Hello Forum,

I've posted a few topics and the responses have been informative and helpful. I am now considering 2019-2020 projects and the first thing that comes to mind is replacing the vinyl liner throughout the vessel starting in the forward cabin. It looks awful and is separating in most places. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Success stories? Thank you and have a great season!

J

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I’m not familiar with your boat, but if it’s padded vinyl it would likely have been glued on and the foam and glue is degraded. Is that what you are facing?
If so, I’d remove the vinyl sheet and foam, then remove the remaining foam clumps and glue (a terrible job) then you will be left with a raw fiberglass surface. Due to surface imperfections I’d paint with a thick rubberized outdoor paint made for cinder blocks and brick, and use a roller that’s also made for the job to get a stippled surface. Google for images using the term “stipple texture roller”.
I did this about 15 years ago on a former boat and it came out well. I went to a Benjamin Moore store with a sample of the removed vinyl and was able to match the paint color exactly.
Removing old adhesive:
Use a full-face chemical vapor mask and protective clothing and chemical resistant gloves when working with solvents and spray. Most solvent based adhesive removers just push the old adhesive around in clumps and aren’t effective. What worked best for me is 3M Woodgrain and Stripe Adhesive Remover https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...Adhesive-Remover/?N=5002385+3293194059&rt=rud
That converts the adhesive to another compound that it loses its “grab“ and looks and feels similar to soap but it’s more easily removed with plastic scraper and rages. The converted residue is more easily dissolved with solvent and can be wiped off from the surface with a solvent soaked rag. 3M recommends it’s “general purpose adhesive remover” for the final step, but that stuff is brutal and dangerous to work with in an enclosed area (strong VOC) so I used WD40 as the solvent for the next step and then removed the WD40 with the 3M product. That allowed me to work with the (more dangerous) 3m general purpose adhesive remover for less time.
Good luck.

Edit: If you decide to do this, practice with the roller on some scrap sheet material before you start the boat. They sell stipple brushes and smaller size rollers also, for more contoured areas and edges. Practice will enable you to get the desired results more consistently.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I've seen a few people who have removed it and replaced it with tongue and groove cedar. The walls in my salon are tongue and groove/ Only v berth and aft bedroom have vinyl on wall. I have even seen the closets lined with aromatic cedar no rot and or insects. I'm sure 5200 along with a hot glue gun to hold it instant until 5200 sets will work. Stain wood to match interior

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
I've done it in my V-Berth and the aft head, where the problems were the worst. I first got rid of the residue with soap and brass wool, then gave it a light sanding with a 60 grit belt sander. I then painted with TotalBoat topside wetedge paint (used primer first) with good results. In theV-berth, I then got condensation on cool nights, so I glued on some velcro strips and made a removable cover out of treated double duck cotton (which I pre-washed and through in the washing machine when dirty). In the aft head, I left the color on the walls and mounted a piece of thin maple on the ceiling to hide the wires. I epoxied that first, and it came out to my liking.
This coming winter I'll take the aft cabin. Ouch.
Really is a job that requires a lot of time and effort. I still have bits of disolving foam rubber showing up in places.