Registered users don't see ads

Replacing teak with plasteak

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Randall Schmidt, Feb 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Randall Schmidt

Randall Schmidt

Joined Mar 1, 2016
    233 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 28
    US Tracy's Landing
    I have a 1984 Oday 28. Last year I replaced most of the teak with Plasteak. It look like teak but is low maintenance. My next step is to replace the remaining teak that is in rough shape. What remains are the horizontal runners along side the cabin top fiberglass sliding hatch (the slider) and the vertical runners that guide and secure the hatch boards as well as the teak that is aft-most side of the slider. This latter piece I intent to replace with a Plasteak part that extends further aft to help provide greater overlap with the patchboards and in so doing eliminate (or at least reduce) the amount of rain water that enters the cabin from the corners of the slider-to-hatch boards interface.

I'm seeking advice for this project:

1. Once I remove the teak and ship the parts away for replacement manufacturing the boat will need to sealed from rain or snow. I can place the slider back on top of the cabin and tape it down with duct tape or painter's masking tape. This stuff leaves a residue that is hard to remove. What other options do I have?

2. I think the parts are held in place with screw that sink into he fiberglass, I do not recall seeing nuts inside the boat on the backside of the connecting bolts. I'll remove the teak screw head plug covers and back out the screws then re-epoxy the holes and drill pilot holes again (in the same place or near by) to secure the replacement parts. Does this make sense or am I missing something?

2. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,104 posts, 744 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Check the big box hardware stores for long life duct tape. It will be UV protected and leaves less residue. You're right not to use the cheap stuff.

Another option is to put tarp over the exposed parts and weigh it down with sandbags or other weights.

You're on the right track here. Sealing Deck Penetrations To Prevent Core Rot – Marine How To

Will Gilmore likes this.
  3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,603 posts, 1,085 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    For covering from rain, unless you live aboard, the tarp tired to grab rails and weighted or tied down in the cockpit makes sense. You can easily cut a cheap piece of plywood to cover temporarily.
    This might also be the time to get that dodger you've been wanting. :biggrin:

- Will (Dragonfly)

4. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,022 posts, 367 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    US Watkins Glen
    Shaping those sliders is not that difficult. I made all my parts with PlasTeak. I made them myself. Including lift-off swinging companionway doors. Also, the tape residue removes with lacquer thinner.

5. Hayden Watson

Hayden Watson

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    526 posts, 105 likes
    Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs
    US Oak Harbor, WA

6. Amos Cape

Amos Cape

Joined Feb 1, 2010
    209 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    US El Dorado Lake, Kansas
    I placed a order of PlasTeak and the shipping charges have gone up so high that I canceled my order. I had $48 in materials and the total with shipping was $147 and that was cutting it down to 8’ lengths.
    I do love the look!

7. njlarry

njlarry

Joined Sep 23, 2009
    1,329 posts, 128 likes
    O'Day 34-At Last
    US Rock Hall, Md
    :worthless:
    I am curious how you all have treated the sawed edges to match the factory surfaces.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,603 posts, 1,085 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Amos,
    Where were you having your order shipped from? I found this company that makes PlasDeck out of Ohio. I don't know what their shipping rates are, but maybe they are closer to you?
    https://www.plasdeck.com

- Will (Dragonfly)

9. Amos Cape

Amos Cape

Joined Feb 1, 2010
    209 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    Njlarry I use a heat gun and wire brush. Practice on scraps first. Most the time I’m happy with jest using heat. I have looked at the Plasdeck. They only have the decking and not the lumber. The high cost in the shipping is from the length!

10. capta

capta

Joined Jun 4, 2009
    2,434 posts, 612 likes
    Pearson 530
    na Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
    I built a door to replace my hatch boards, out of starboard. I was surprised at how much it would expand and contract with the temperature. Does the plasteak do the same, or is it more stable?

11. Amos Cape

Amos Cape

Joined Feb 1, 2010
    209 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    It does expand and contract with the temperature too. I only use it on the exterior of the boat. For long spans I will use aluminum to reinforce it.

12. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,022 posts, 367 likes
    US Watkins Glen
    I router the edge to make it smooth and rounded. The edges are small enough that you don’t notice the lack of texture.

13. Amos Cape

Amos Cape

Joined Feb 1, 2010
    209 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    71F4C7A2-6A71-4149-AF83-5E1A4EC11A1E.jpeg F84EB43F-542F-4404-A227-B011C4D10711.jpeg Here are two projects that I did. I only used heat and no wire brush.

TomY and Will Gilmore like this.
  14. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,022 posts, 367 likes
    US Watkins Glen

15. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,022 posts, 367 likes
    US Watkins Glen
    Try cutting it 6’ or 4’ lengths. I had mine cut to 6’ length. It was cheaper to ship by a lot!

16. Amos Cape

Amos Cape

Joined Feb 1, 2010
    209 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    I needed 8’ lengths for some grab reals and 4’ for the slides on the cabin top. So if I cut them down to 6’ I would have to twice the lumber.

agprice22 likes this.
  17. DannyS

DannyS

Joined May 27, 2004
    889 posts, 26 likes
    Oday 35
    US Bayfield, Wi
    Does Plasteak not have a wood grain pattern on the face?

18. DannyS

DannyS

Joined May 27, 2004
    889 posts, 26 likes
    Oday 35
    US Bayfield, Wi
    Will, Plasdeck and Plasteak are the same company.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  19. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,603 posts, 1,085 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    The Plasteak Website advertises Plasteak for interior use, while the Plasdeck product is advertised as exterior.
    My farther had an outside entrance deck made of synthetic plastic wood and it is nice but it definitely moves with the weather.

- Will (Dragonfly)

20. DannyS

DannyS

Joined May 27, 2004
    889 posts, 26 likes
    Oday 35
    US Bayfield, Wi
    Will, where do you see Plasteak advertising it for interior only? They make swim platforms and bow pulpits out of the stuff.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!