Registered users don't see ads

Replacing Stanchion Vent

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by sgoldman01, Apr 11, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. weekendrken

weekendrken

Joined May 7, 2011
    49 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 30
    3573 US Lake Norman
    Are you saying the stanchion is threaded? Mine has just a tubing nipple- the hose slips over and is clamped over it. A correct size rubber “cork” could be tapped into the tubing to stopper it.

BTW the vents are tube-within-a-tube type. The 1/2” vent tube extends up into the 1” stanchion tube, to just below the lower lifeline hole.

2. Smunkey

Smunkey

Joined Jul 27, 2017
    35 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    5167 US Texas
    Yup, it's threaded. Hose goes on the threads and then a hose clamp. I am not smart enough to have taken a picture of it after I slipped the hose off to check it though, but in fairness, the thermometer in the boat showed 110 degrees so I just wanted to get the heck out of there! I should specify that I have an '88, so that could make a difference. This does coincide with Catalina Direct Part # Z1791. It says they were used starting on hull #4726, and we are #5167. I was shocked to see how tiny the actual vent hole was inside the 1/2" vent tube... maybe 1/4".

I was able to pickup the cap nut for $1.28 at Lowes a little while ago, and some heavy duty tarps to try and fashion a sun barrier. I am so stoked to finally get that stinky hose outta my boat.

3. weekendrken

weekendrken

Joined May 7, 2011
    49 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 30
    3573 US Lake Norman
    Tell me more about the tank fitting? What where how?
    Is this a positive seal, or does it flex (tie the hose down well at the seat lip?)

4. Smunkey

Smunkey

Joined Jul 27, 2017
    35 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    5167 US Texas
    Peggy Hall is the authority on all things boat odor, she literally wrote the book. So I used her suggestion and went with a Uniseal. I placed it randomly on the tank based on how long my hose happened to be. I just drilled a hole in the tank to match the size of my Uniseal and stuck the PVC elbow in. I can say without any hesitation that my head flushing odors are gone.

Now I am trying to overcome the odors left behind from the years of having the tank ventilation not properly configured. I have a bottle of PureAyre that was delivered yesterday so that should help as well. Now it is down to just scrubbing the inside of the hull between the holding tank and the bilge and anywhere else bad stuff may have traveled due to the messed up vent tube, etc..

5. Smunkey

Smunkey

Joined Jul 27, 2017
    35 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    5167 US Texas
    I was finally able to remove the offense hose. Here is a picture of the threaded end of the vent stanchion and then another after I cleaned it up a bit, added thread tape, and capped it off. I am so glad to have that hose out of my boat!

threaded.jpg

capped.jpg

6. weekendrken

weekendrken

Joined May 7, 2011
    49 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 30
    3573 US Lake Norman
    VERY cool.
    Nice job. Would you consider doing a write up on your problem and fix and publishing it on the C-30 association wiki site. No money, only fame and glory. And contributing there for other owners.

-ken

7. Smunkey

Smunkey

Joined Jul 27, 2017
    35 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    5167 US Texas
    I'll work on one when I have time, can't promise anything though. Also, I mostly just absorbed info from Peggy and others here and followed their lead so as not to reinvent the wheel.

8. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    1,788 posts, 185 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk III
    US Barnegat, NJ
    @Smunkey Curious where and how you attached the sensor tape on the tank. Did you pull the tank up?
    On my 93 the only side of the tank available without moving the tank is the short side. Wondering if you found a trick to do the install.
    Thanks

jssailem likes this.
  9. Smunkey

Smunkey

Joined Jul 27, 2017
    35 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    5167 US Texas
    So I had the same issue. I ended up contacting Michael at SCAD Technologies to ask him about positioning on the tank. What I ended up doing is this (or as close as I could get):
    scad_location.JPG

Now, obviously you can't get there, so I had to cut off the aft end of the retainer "box" that holds the tank in place. I used my handy dandy oscillating tool to just make vertical cuts on the corners where it was just fiberglass. I then notched the wood piece where the sensor sits, and then glassed it back in when done. Less than ideal, but it's there!

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures while doing the install. I did make a video though. So, at the risk of my own peril, here is a link directly to the install on YouTube:

I did a quick search regarding forum rules and didn't see anything specific so I hope posting a link doesn't violate any. If it does, please let me know and I will certainly remove it. Not promoting anything, I just want to help.

Oh also, Michael from SCAD told me to use the "tapered" setting. It works like a champ.

10. Smunkey

Smunkey

Joined Jul 27, 2017
    35 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    5167 US Texas
    My apologies, the video link did not go to the right time, the install begins at 4:47.

11. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    1,788 posts, 185 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk III
    US Barnegat, NJ
    @Smunkey Great video. Thanks for the details. I’ll put the SCAD monitor on my project list.

12. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,847 posts, 519 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Ward, SCAD is a private label version of the Profile system Profile Tank Monitors Profile sells direct for a lot less and also offers outstanding tech support.

--Peggie

13. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,625 posts, 701 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    Not a LOT less. I compared online. With a sensor, about $20 list difference. I didn't look at tax or shipping

14. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    1,788 posts, 185 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk III
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Thank you Peggie, I book marked the Ferriellosales.com page.

15. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    547 posts, 160 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    Since this thread morphed, I’ll chime in again. I got mine from Ferriello and could not be happier. As Peggy said, a small operation with personal service and tech support. I had a question, and you will too, about where to get power for the monitor. He assured me that the draw was extremely small, less than an LED light, so I split it of from a nearby house power line (fused, of course).

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.